Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11 (mod warning in post #7124)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

kryogen wrote: »
    The cash from RA and City cannot thankfully keep getting spent forever so what will the new plan be after that you think?

We simply have to make the best of what youth we have already and basically adopt an approach to transfers more like Wenger or Ferguson. We've never really been backed into a position where we needed to be particularly shrewd in the transfer market because quite simply we've never had to be, RA's money has always been there for the last while and it's only a case of whether or not he was willing to spend it. Only time will tell though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Essien wrote: »
    We simply have to make the best of what youth we have already and basically adopt an approach to transfers more like Wenger or Ferguson. We've never really been backed into a position where we needed to be particularly shrewd in the transfer market because quite simply we've never had to be, RA's money has always been there for the last while and it's only a case of whether or not he was willing to spend it. Only time will tell though.

The youth system, that alot of money has been pumped into has not produced results yet (im not saying that as a slight, it can take a very long time to get a proper youth set up) so the future is still not quite bright imo, the Torres signing will extend the life of this Chelsea squad but the next I am not so sure, the top players in the squad are pushing on in age and will need to be replaced with similar quality to continue challenging for trophies. With the new rules coming in the massive wages will need to be brought under control and transfer fees will be reduced.

The new rules are the best news financially united have got in years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

The new financial rules are a disaster imo, it will allow traditional clubs to monopolise the market and other clubs will not be able to break into it. These big clubs will get stronger and stronger because of their starting position and other clubs will stand still and go backwards. The only way in the modern game to allow a team break into the elite is by getting a sugar daddy. If you take this option away then football will be dominated by only 4 or 5 teams for decades to comes slowly eroding away the romantic view of football (that anything can happen, even small teams) and ultimately I think football will go backwards. It will become less competitive as the gap becomes larger between the elite and everyone else. If this happens then interest will decrease thus reducing sponcership and tv coverage and clubs (even bigs ones) will eventually go bust.
    A more logical financial fair play rule would be to introduce reasonable wage caps and a maximum level to transfer fees spent in a certain period of time. This makes sense but I doubt platini and co. are able for rational thought tbh.
    Just my 2 cents, I know people will disagree.

The youth system, that alot of money has been pumped into has not produced results yet (im not saying that as a slight, it can take a very long time to get a proper youth set up) so the future is still not quite bright imo, the Torres signing will extend the life of this Chelsea squad but the next I am not so sure, the top players in the squad are pushing on in age and will need to be replaced with similar quality to continue challenging for trophies. With the new rules coming in the massive wages will need to be brought under control and transfer fees will be reduced.

The new rules are the best news financially united have got in years

I never said it will work, it's just a position that ourselves and a tonne of other clubs will be forced into. You have to be self sufficient, proper utilization of a good youth setup is a fundamental part of that.

btw David luiz officially confirmed on chelsea website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Bosingwa 28
    Zhirkov 27
    Cech 27
    Ivanovic Nearly 27
    Essien 27
    Torres 26
    Kalou 25
    Ramires 23
    Mikel 23
    Luiz 23
    Sturridge 21
    Van Annholt 20
    Bruma 19
    McEachran 17

Not a bad looking squad, and its missing Anelka, Drogba, Terry, Lampard, Cole, Alex and Malouda.

Not bad, not good enough to keep a team at the top of the game though is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Well plenty are on loan and they can only improve from that.Kakuta and Clifford arent included there either.

Could say the same about utd, giggs, scholes, rio. vds, how old is berba? (late 20s methinks). You have a few good players coming through but so do chelsea and you lot will have to replace older players too.

Liverpool the same with gerrard and carragher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

really?

• Advertisement

I think it has a good blend of youth an experience myself.
    The experienced players will bring the younger lads forward, I think the likes of Josh, Danny, Bruma, Ramires, hopefully Kakuta, have the capability hallmarks of being up there in the top 4mix in a few years time.

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Could say the same about utd, giggs, scholes, rio. vds, how old is berba? (late 20s methinks). You have a few good players coming through but so do chelsea and you lot will have to replace older players too.

Liverpool the same with gerrard and carragher.

dont want to talk about other teams squads here, Chelsea thread

And Lukker, yes really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Abramovich will plug the gap where necessary as aptly demonstrated this window. These fairplay rules will be gotten round in some way or another so thats not going to stop Chelsea from spending big somehow.

What a statement of intent by RA btw. To sign one of the best strikers in the game at whatever the cost i think will quell whatever lingering doubts i'm sure some CFC fans had that he had 'lost interest' recently. Looking forward to seeing how Ancelotti accomodates him.

dont want to talk about other teams squads here, Chelsea thread.

I just wanna point out that Uniteds squad is very relevant to the question you asked. Will we be challenging in the future? Well that all depends on the strength of the opposition squad we're most likely to be challenging.

But I respect your question and won't drag it off topic.

I guess your right, and yeah I feel that we can work within the rules pretty well, are more adept to having to work in such circumstances. Our squad needs investment now, has done for 3 years at this stage but none is forthcoming in the positions required..... that cant continue for us to keep challenging

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Im glad Arsenal have already played Chelsea twcie and dont have to face Drogs and Torres.

How do ye reckon ye will line up?

Mikel

---Lampard
    Essien

Malouda

Drogba
    Torres

Would need the full backs to be bombing forward to provide width but I can see it being something like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Essien

Ramires--Lampard--Malouda

Drogba
    Torres

Perhaps.

Could swap Essien with Ramires and put Mikel in holding also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I'm not sure how drogba and torres are going work together, torres definetly likes to be a lone striker, torres and villa didn't really gel together for spain, it might take a while to work

CECH
    bos
    ivan----terry
    cole
    Mikel
    ----Esssien
    malouda

Lamps

Drogba---Torres

Subs.
    Luiz
    Alex
    Zhirkov
    Benayoun
    Anelka
    Kalou
    Maceachran
    Ramires

Loads of permutations and options from the bench too.

Both Drogba and Torres like to lead the attack, will be interesting to see if one is willing to adapt his game so a partnership can flourish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

Cech

Ivanovice
    Luiz --- Terry
    Cole

Mikel
    ----Essien
    Lampard
    Malouda---

Torres
    Drogba

That might work maybe. Changing from 4-3-3 will take getting used to and mean this season is a write off.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

And what a very good morning it is!!! Still buzzing - you could not help but get excited - been up 24 hours now - just finished night shift, But I've still got a spring in my step!! Roman's still in love with the blues alright!

I know I've been less than enthusiastic about Torres, but I've come round to the notion that this was the move he's wanted for a while and he's going to make it count. Competition for places now too!

For those of you who have seen nothing of Luiz - here's a link which has left me salivating!!:p

http://www.thechels.tv/2011/01/david-luiz-welcome-to-chelsea/

Great T-shirts on that site too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

OK lads, hope your all well, Liverpool fan here, Just want to say all the best to Torres, Roman spent a mad amount of money on him and hopefully he returns to the form we got in his first year or so at Anfield.

Some stupid LFC fans will berate your club and Torres for this move. Me I wish him the best and at least get to still see him play in the EPL on a regular basis. AS we are not in the title hunt, just get Drogba and Torres finishing form quickly and stop Man Utd getting the 19th title ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

BrookieD wrote: »
    OK lads, hope your all well, Liverpool fan here, Just want to say all the best to Torres, Roman spent a mad amount of money on him and hopefully he returns to the form we got in his first year or so at Anfield.

Some stupid LFC fans will berate your club and Torres for this move. Me I wish him the best and at least get to still see him play in the EPL on a regular basis. AS we are not in the title hunt, just get Drogba and Torres finishing form quickly and stop Man Utd getting the 19th title ;-)
    Well done BrookieD - very reasonable of you. I asked myself last night how I'd feel if JT left Chelsea for another premiership club ... so I can start to imagine how you feel. Its worth pointing out as well, that it emerged last night in interview that talks had being going on for 12 days - so it was not quite the cynical move painted by some. I still think 10pts is too much - but we have 6 of them in our own hands - but my nightmare scenario would be doing our bit and handing it to Arsenal as a result - though I'm sure you'd take that outcome too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

What a couple of hours :D

Brillant to see Roman splashing the cash again.

Back to reality, that will mean nothing if we dont beat Sunderland tonight, no point spending 70+ million if we dont win tonight and United go and beat Villa.

What I expect Chelsea to play with a fully fit squad :

Cech

Bosingwa Alex Terry Cole

Essien

Ramires Malouda

Lampard

Drogba Torres

Simple solution is to bring back the diamond and play Bosingwa at the RB to bomb on as he is better at it then Ivanovic as hes more of natural, forward thinking RB.

We could still play 4-3-3 and if we do id like to see :

Cech

Bosingwa Alex Terry Cole

Essien

Ramires Lampard

Anelka Drogba Torres

I still think we can play with 3 up top, with Anelka at the moment he wnats to play inside and this is what Torres will want to do anyway so I cant see a reason we it wouldnt work, if we play a little narrow it will be ok with both fullbacks pushing on.

Its a selection headache but what a headache Carlo has :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Cech

Ivanovice
    Luiz --- Terry
    Cole

Mikel
    ----Essien
    Lampard
    Malouda---

Torres
    Drogba

That might work maybe. Changing from 4-3-3 will take getting used to and mean this season is a write off.

I reckon this is the perfect team! With yossi, zhirkov etc on the bench. Malouda and essien need to improve big time to keep their places.

Really happy today, although I'm going to have to retract all the Torres slagging over the last few years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

will there be a presentation for Torres , ? him with Carlo plus the new number 9 jersey ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Yesterday was crazy, absolutely delighted with our two signings. Torres a world class striker and Luiz with the potential to be a world class defender.

Very tough game tonight but like our record was good at Bolton it's also very good at Sunderland.

2001/02 Drew 0-0
    2002/03 Chelsea won 2-1
    2005/06 Chelsea won 2-1
    2007/08 Chelsea won 1-0
    2008/09 Chelsea won 3-2
    2009/10 Chelsea won 3-1

They are a different team this season though and did what not many teams do by outplaying us at the bridge earlier in the season, going to be tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

the_monkey wrote: »
    Are you sure he isn't cup tied for the CL ?

isn't the rules that if a player was in any european competition that same
    season he can't compete ??

No he is clear to play in Champ League
    and Yes, he CAN play Sunday against the Pool.
    (Whether or not he is selected, we will have to wait to see)

From the CFC website

TORRES: HAPPY TO BE BLUE

Posted on: Tue 01 Feb 2011
    Following on from writing his name on his new Chelsea contract, Fernando Torres shared words with the Official Chelsea Website.
    Our new striker has spent the last three and a half years regularly finding net against the Blues but having signed a long-term deal, he is looking forward to providing goals in his new club's quest for silverware...
    Chelsea fans everywhere are happy that you can no longer score against their team.
    When I played against Chelsea there was always a big motivation because it was a special game, it was always one of the biggest games of the season. This is one of the reasons why I wanted to join Chelsea because I want to be part of this kind of team. I want to say thanks to the Chelsea fans because I have seen them very, very happy with me for joining Chelsea. If they are happy as well because I am not going to score any more against them then it is good.
    I have good memories and bad memories of games against Chelsea. All the goals are good memories because all of them are special. I have a very bad memory of the semi-final of the Champions League in my first season in England when they beat us and they played the final and not us. It was a frustrating day for me but hopefully now I am here we can go through to the final together and win.
    Why Chelsea and why now?
    I felt from last summer that I need to do a step forward in my career and for my ambition as a footballer. I am joining a team that is at the top level, there is not another level after Chelsea. I am joining with players like Chelsea have. I am joining with big names like Terry, Lampard, Drogba and Anelka and I can be part of this great team.
    Also I wanted to join because Chelsea always have shown a big respect for me. They really want me and it is important when you have the support of the people in the club, and the support of the fans who always showed respect to me when I came to Stamford Bridge and at Anfield. Now I am very happy to be a Chelsea player.
    It is good news that you can play in the Champions League this season. It is often not the case for January signings.
    The Champions League is a big ambition and all the footballers want to play in it, it is a very important competition. But also Chelsea have the chance every season to win all the trophies that they play for, so when you have the chance to play in a team like this you cannot say no.
    As a boy from Madrid, are you looking forward to playing in another capital city?
    Madrid is not as big as London but it is true when you are coming from a big city like Madrid, nothing is going to surprise you and I am very happy to move to a city like London. It is a big city and you can do everything you want with the respect that the English people always have. I am sure I am going to improve my lifestyle as well.
    Unfortunately he is injured at the moment but this move gives you the chance to play again with Yossi Benayoun. At Liverpool you had a good on-pitch understanding with him.
    On the pitch and off the pitch as well. He is my friend and on the pitch we have a very good relationship. Hopefully he can play as soon as possible and he will be fully recovered. It is exciting the possibility to play with him again, but as well with my other new team mates.
    How do you feel about working with Carlo Ancelotti?
    He has been showing all his career as a player and a coach that he is winner. He has the winning mentality and you see this in how he is coaching Chelsea so it is a wish to meet him and to know what he is expecting from me. I am excited about playing as soon as possible and learning about my coach and all my team-mates.
    It appears your first game will be at Stamford Bridge on Sunday against Liverpool.
    It is like the destiny. It is not perfect for me but we will see what happens and I only have good words about Liverpool. They made me a top player and gave me the chance to play at the top level. I will never say anything bad about Liverpool, I have been very happy there, but now the history is different and I am playing for Chelsea. If I have the chance to play I will do my best for Chelsea and hopefully I can score.
    Finally, you are 26 years old now. Do people still call you El Nino?
    Yes, many people and hopefully that will happen for many years because it makes me feel younger.

• Advertisement

Rumours that Bruma loan deal is off as paperwork was screwed up.

Think the loan window to Championship clubs opens again though doesn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

Johner wrote: »
    Rumours that Bruma loan deal is off as paperwork was screwed up.

Think the loan window to Championship clubs opens again though doesn't it?
    Don't think it closes until end of Feb.

0,,10268~9382715,00.jpg

FERNANDO TORRES: CHELSEA'S NUMBER NINE
    Posted on: Tue 01 Feb 2011

Fernando Torres will wear the Chelsea number 9 shirt.

The forward, 26, completed his move from Liverpool yesterday and will occupy the previously vacant jersey.

The Spanish World and European champion also wore the shirt at Liverpool, in the World Cup in South Africa and at his previous club Atletico Madrid.

He follows in the footsteps of former Chelsea forwards Kerry Dixon, Roy Bentley, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink and Peter Osgood.

Chelsea kit man Mick Roberts is pictured printing Torres's first Chelsea shirt. You can order yours from the online Megastore now...

0,,10268~9382719,00.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Is Torres eligable to play in the Champions league this season for Chelsea? I'm having an argument and i say he can and someone else is saying NO.

Great signing in my opinion. When he is fit, he for me is one of the best and a favourite player of mine regardless of what club he plays for.

Ye he is able to play in the Champions League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Johner wrote: »
    Ye he is able to play in the Champions League.

Thanks Johner. Good luck for the rest of season :p:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Torres is great at the one on one with a goalie, you feel alot more confident on him through on goal in comparison to Sala, though he scored a good goal on Sat.

smuckers wrote: »
    Torres is great at the one on one with a goalie, you feel alot more confident on him through on goal in comparison to Sala, though he scored a good goal on Sat.

I think he was as surprised as the rest of us with that one tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Torres and Drogs will play well together. I can see Drogs being the one to go out wide and wake things happen, with Torres dominating in the box. Drogs does this a lot with Anelka, and will do the same with Torres I'd imagine. Some of Drogba's best moments have been the touches and the moves he can do to set goals up. I can see it being one of the most feared and lethal partnerships in English football...

Think Anelka will be bowing out of the fold shortly too, tbh. Studge will get good experience with Bolton and will be coming good. Torres and Drogba have the starting places sewn up...

I hope Anelka isn't automatically benched though, despite his form overall in the past 2 months say, I still think he is a weapon of a striker to have on the pitch.
    As leathal as Drogba is, if his form doesn't take an upward turn soon, I actually think there is the liklihood of him seeing the bench closer to the 60 min mark of a game, with Torres partnering Anelka up front. (depending on how the game is going of course)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

The match is tonight Sgt Pepper.

smuckers wrote: »
    The match is tonight Sgt Pepper.

LOL, well after a long night it feels like Wednesday already!

DazMarz wrote: »
    Torres and Drogs will play well together. I can see Drogs being the one to go out wide and wake things happen, with Torres dominating in the box. Drogs does this a lot with Anelka, and will do the same with Torres I'd imagine. Some of Drogba's best moments have been the touches and the moves he can do to set goals up. I can see it being one of the most feared and lethal partnerships in English football...

Think Anelka will be bowing out of the fold shortly too, tbh. Studge will get good experience with Bolton and will be coming good. Torres and Drogba have the starting places sewn up...

Daz, what is CHD's take on the Torres signing, I can imagine he would be one of the first to wind up the 'Pool fans over this one. :pac:

Also, I cant wait for Sunday, Id kill to be over there, atmosphere and banter is going to be immense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

anything official on when Torres' debut will be?

i hear rumours he might miss the weekend?

surely not for £50m?

SlickRic wrote: »
    anything official on when Torres' debut will be?

i hear rumours he might miss the weekend?

surely not for £50m?

He was fit when he left ye for us wasn't he Slick?

If so, then he will play some part at least, he might not start as im not to sure as to where he might fit in straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

gavredking wrote: »
    He was fit when he left ye for us wasn't he Slick?

If so, then he will play some part at least, he might not start as im not to sure as to where he might fit in straight away.

yeah he was fit.

so no chance of him playing tonight?

it's probably quite short notice for that.

yeah he was fit.

Cool, I wasnt sure was he nursing an injury or not.

No chance, it was reported on ChelseaFC.com that he was at Cobham this morning getting shown around the training ground while the squad made the trip north to play Sunderland.

So his debut should be this weekend ;)

Thats if Carlo can figure out do we go back to the 4-4-2 diamond or stay 4-3-3 and have Drogba and Torres inter-change between wide left and straight down the middle.

Although to be honest, if we dont beat Sunderland tonight alot of the momentum of the Bolton away victory and 2 big signings will be lost and deflate us IMO.

yeah he was fit.

It was on the CFC site earlier that neither Torres nor Luiz would be cleared in time to play tonight. However, Torres is expected to make his debut against Liverpool, I havn't seen any indication as to whether or not he will start.

yeah he was fit.

Apparently he has stayed behind, whilst the rest of the squad travelled up for the game.
    So, yes, too short notice.
    But no reason for him not to play some part on Sunday. I think he will be on the bench for that one.
    He's fit, theres no gentlemens agreement or clause that he cant play and he's said he wants to play (and score). Thats good enough for me!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement