Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11 (mod warning in post #7124)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

The stream went down. :( looked like him wide left though?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Kakuta, good shot but comfortable enough for Harper

Set up a great chance for Dempsey

And City drop points :D

Go on the Sturridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Danny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Kakuta was class for fulham tonight. Missed a shot but some lovely passes.

Kakuta was class for fulham tonight. Missed a shot but some lovely passes.

Ye he looked very good behind the striker. Could have had 2 goals and and an assist in 20 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

The futures bright - the futures Danny, Kakuta and Torres!

Well maybe Lukaku

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/71640.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

or

Cavani

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2011/02/01/chelsea-prepared-to-offer-22m-for-serie-a-hotshot-edinson-cavani/

if the press is to be believed!

And now we are only a point behind Man City with a game in hand!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Go forth and multiply !

Hope Sturridge and Kakuta keep up the good work and help Manu, Arsenal and Man C drop points !

Great work by the lads (& Robbie Keane)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

The future is blue people, Torres, kakuta and sturridge and not forgetting maceachran. Delighted for sturridge, a loan move is going to be really good for him. To top it off man city drop points so we go thirs if we win our game in hand on them, good stuff. Forget all the negativety of the last 2 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Can't wait for Sunday now !!!

STILL buzzed about Torres!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Thanks to training I missed all the action live :(

Sky+ MoTD and wanted to watch Danny and Kakuta specifically, well done to the two lads, the loan spell will stand to them and hopefully make them hungry for first team football and push them on.

Delighted that City only picked up a point, this is what we need to happen if we want to move up the league, we really are relying on the teams above us too drop points and we got to keep winning.

I can not state how much I am looking forward to Sunday, on the back of our recent EPL victories and performances I can see us beating Liverpool comfortably.

Bring it on, we are not dead in the water yet.

CAREFREE!!!!!!!

From the Chelsea FC website, Thursday interview with David Luiz. Good, long insight into our new number 4. :)

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~2283554,00.html

A first day in any new job can be a dizzying experience. A blur of new faces and places, protocols and procedures, car parks and corridors can be enough to confuse just about anybody.

It is easy to feel some sympathy then for David Luiz, who on his first day as a Chelsea player yesterday had to train, have a suit fitting, meet with lawyers and medical staff, and squeeze in first interviews with both the official club website and TV channel.

No problem though for Chelsea's newest recruit, who goes about his duties as quietly and patiently as you could imagine, accompanied for the entirety by his interpreter who ensures the day, and this interview, runs smoothly without a hitch.

Chelsea's newest signing, Luiz has a relatively low profile in England, particularly when compared to our other transfer deadline day acquisition, Fernando Torres, with whom the Brazilian spent much of yesterday meeting squad and staff members.

The deal to bring him here took considerable time to conclude, with Benfica announcing late last week that negotiations for the 23-year-old had broken down, only for the signing to be completed shortly before Monday's 11pm deadline.

It brought reliability and versatility to the squad, in the shape of a 6ft 2in, bubble-permed defender with international experience in his country's famous yellow, who although most comfortable in the centre of defence can also play on either flank should he be required.

After completing his move in Lisbon, Luiz flew into London early on Tuesday morning before yesterday taking his first taste of Cobham life.
    Of course there were already some familiar faces. Ramires was a team-mate at Benfica last season, and the pair have also linked up with Alex in the national team, following Luiz's debut against USA last summer.

'I talked with him a lot of times before my transfer and Ramires always said he hoped I would come here because it is a special place and he would be happy if I came here,' Luiz says through his interpreter, 'and now we can play together again after our year at Benfica.

'I have known Alex for a long time. I have a lot of admiration for him, I like his football and his personality, and obviously we have both played in the national team, so he is somebody who I know well.'
    Comparisons between the two are obvious. Both have a non-nonsense approach to their defensive duties while possessing a comfort with the ball at their feet traditionally associated with more attack-minded Brazilians, and not centre-backs in England's top flight.

That said, such qualities are now an expectation rather than a bonus at Stamford Bridge, with John Terry and Branislav Ivanovic equally adept in possession. Luiz is only too aware of the talent his new team boasts.
    'I always knew there would be competition because Chelsea is a big club and you have to be a top player to play here,' he says.

'It is a big challenge for me, but I have a strong desire to get a space in this group and establish myself and learn from my new team-mates to become a better player and have more skills.

'The best league in the world is the Premier League, so I am so happy to be here playing with and against big players. All great players want to play against other great players, and I hope this is my time.'

Luiz has not played competitively since January 16 but is keen to stress that if called upon, he is ready for action this weekend against Liverpool.
    'I hope I can play quickly, and I feel 100 percent to play tomorrow if I need to, there is no problem with my fitness,' he smiles.

'I want to help the team in whichever way Mr Ancelotti wants me to do, wherever in the team, as long as I am on the field I am happy. I am most comfortable in the centre but can play on the side also.'

Ah yes, Mr Ancelotti, in whose office he spent part of the morning, much like being called into the headmaster's office. What did the Italian say to the Sao Paulo-born player?

'He welcomed me to Chelsea, and said he was happy that I had come, he hopes I do the best I can and this makes me happy because I can work with one of the best coaches in the world right now,' is the explanation.

Luiz was joined in the office by Torres, who he faced first-hand last season in the Europa League quarter-finals. He helped shut the Spaniard out once as Benfica won 2-1 in Lisbon, but saw just how good the 26-year-old can be when Torres netted twice at Anfield to take his side through.

Some words do not require translation, so when he is asked what he made of Torres as an opponent and responds 'Dificile!' with a grin and loud exhalation of air, it is clear what he means.

'He is difficult of course because he is a big player,' he adds, indirectly once more, 'so now I am so happy that I can play in the same team as him and not against him.

How long will it be before he is speaking fluent English, just like Torres now does?

'I don't know if I will speak English too soon, but I hope soon because it will help me settle here quickly,' he concedes, before, in perfect English, adding: 'Spanish no problem!'

So with Portuguese and Spanish, there is at least a large portion of the squad with which our new number 4 can already communicate.

On that subject, what made him choose the shirt number last inhabited by Claude Makelele in 2008?

'I like 23, the shirt I had at Benfica,' he begins, though of course that is taken by the on-loan Daniel Sturridge. 'Before in Vitoria, my first club, I had number four, and for the international team I wore number four, so it made sense. Also, 23, two, three, four, so why not?!

'I liked Michael Jordan as a basketballer who wore number 23, but also David Beckham at Real Madrid, and also if you have David Luiz Moreira Marinho, my full name, there are 23 letters.'

That seems like plenty of justification, and the hope is that Luiz will be as influential on this Chelsea side as Makelele was on his. Away from football 'Maka' was also known for his supermodel wife, though Luiz has an altogether quieter existence.

'I am a quiet guy, this is very different from when I am on the field,' he explains. 'Outside the field I am a "take it easy" guy, I have a simple life. Inside the field my personality changes because I am tough when I play, but I like to stay at home, I have my family in Brazil, and the simple things make me happy.

'I don't know yet if my family will come to England, they are in Brazil and sometimes I see them when I am with the national team but it would be difficult for them to live here because it is cold!'

He may be new, but Luiz is certainly learning fast.

• Advertisement

^

Did Arsene Wenger actually see it though? All managers defend their players and actions but sometimes his rose tinted glasses are on a bit to strong.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

the_monkey wrote: »

Actually pretty clever work from him , he tackled this head on before the media got behind it and built up a head of steam and everyone started calling for Cesc to be charged .

On all things Chelsea , I cant bloody wait for Sunday , so looking forward to it , whats the bets on the Drogs putting the performance of his in life to overshadow nandos debut ?

Il be down the ground early to soak up the atmosphere !

Have my flights booked for the game against Man U on the 1st March (Have ticket from the postponed game) but just seen that if we beat Everton in the reply the game date againt Man U will be changed again :mad:

Can you imagine if they ever actually the title? :eek:
    We'll never hear the end of it from him and all the loved up journo's banging on about how "Wenger's way" is the best way and look at silly Chelsea and Man City spending all that money

The mere thought makes me cringe

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Can you imagine if they ever actually the title? :eek:
    We'll never hear the end of it from him and all the loved up journo's banging on about how "Wenger's way" is the best way and look at silly Chelsea and Man City spending all that money

The mere thought makes me cringe

Wengers way wont win the title this season, you need to mix the excellent youth they have with some top of the line talent , which they never seem to willing to invest in .

Well my preference for teams to win the league (if we dont win it) is :

1) Man Utd - Closet rivals and if they win it this year they will be out right leaders of League Titles on 19, which will annoy the Scouser's so for that reason alone they get my vote.

2) Arsenal - For all my dislike of all others from the London area I'd rather Arsenal win it more so then Man City, I just want to see Man City and Mancini fail.

Man United look like running away with it but I still have hope, they have to play us twice and I expect us to beat them home and away, they most also play City and Arsenal again, but the title is in there hands IMO.

Arsenal wont win it, as it has been said and has been mentioned for years having top quality young fellas very rarely wins ya anything unless you combione them with seasoned pro's that are of a top class level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Am I the only one who misread this - thought it was rhetorical :D

can he EVER shut up moaning ??

gavredking wrote: »
    Well my preference for teams to win the league (if we dont win it) is :

1) Man Utd - Closet rivals and if they win it this year they will be out right leaders of League Titles on 19, which will annoy the Scouser's so for that reason alone they get my vote.

2) Arsenal - For all my dislike of all others from the London area I'd rather Arsenal win it more so then Man City, I just want to see Man City and Mancini fail.

Man United look like running away with it but I still have hope, they have to play us twice and I expect us to beat them home and away, they most also play City and Arsenal again, but the title is in there hands IMO.

Arsenal wont win it, as it has been said and has been mentioned for years having top quality young fellas very rarely wins ya anything unless you combione them with seasoned pro's that are of a top class level.

What will slay me, is if we lose it by 2 or 3 points.
    Of all the points we've lost this season, I think these are the games you can look back on and think, "that was us cocking up", rather than being outplayed or unlucky

Everton - allowing a silly equaliser
    Spurs - Drogba missing "that" penalty (Although I suppose you could say we did well to get right back in it)
    Aston Villa - Switching off and allowing another silly equaliser

Thats 6 points right there

Still, gonna be a big weekend, come on the Blues!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Whats that got to do with Chelsea? :confused: Its also a response to David Moyes's comment after the game about one of Wengers players. Amazing the way no one call Moyes a bitter sore loser after his comments after the match, because if it was Wenger saying that about an opposition player he would be called whinging Wenger and all the other tired old cliches about him.

Problem with this is we could end up just doing Arsenal a favour by beating mufc twice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

United have to go to Stamford bridge, Anfield and the Emirates.
    They also have Man City at home and Chelsea at home.
    Plenty of big games ahead for them

amiable wrote: »
    United have to go to Stamford bridge, Anfield and the Emirates.
    They also have Man City at home and Chelsea at home.
    Plenty of big games ahead for them

YEs indeed , but note my other post, it could all be just a big favour for Arseholesnal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

YEs indeed , but note my other post, it could all be just a big favour for Arseholesnal

How would that even factor into the equation? If we beat them twice I couldn't give 2 fucks who we do a favor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I'll be happy if we go on a mad winning streak from now till the end of the season, (not too much to ask for surely?!) and what happens in other team's fixtures happens.

So, where are going watching the match then? Think me and a Liverpool follower mate are going to have to get the beverages in and make a day of it, should be fun!

papagormo wrote: »
    I'll be happy if we go on a mad winning streak from now till the end of the season, (not too much to ask for surely?!) and what happens in other team's fixtures happens.

So, where are going watching the match then? Think me and a Liverpool follower mate are going to have to get the beverages in and make a day of it, should be fun!

I'll be out with the local Liverpool supporters club as usual :)

I'll be out with the local Liverpool supporters club as usual :)

you poor fecker, stick Torres on the back of the jersey for the craic, guaranteed free pints for the night! (thrown at ya!)

• Advertisement

papagormo wrote: »
    you poor fecker, stick Torres on the back of the jersey for the craic, guaranteed free pints for the night! (thrown at ya!)

Getting it done tomorrow :p

Getting it done tomorrow :p

Haha!
    Pics or GTFO!
    Before and after the game, and you have to be seated in the pub too!

Indeed but if i were you as a Chelsea fan i'd be thinking positive and not rule out the chance of passing all the teams ahead of you.
    IMO if Arsenal get into a position to win the title they'll bottle it.
    As a Liverpool fan i genuinely don't care who wins it this year.
    I hope its entertaining and a good few shocks on the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Problem with this is we could end up just doing Arsenal a favour by beating mufc twice!!

Here's hoping :D

Indeed but if i were you as a Chelsea fan i'd be thinking positive and not rule out the chance of passing all the teams ahead of you.
    IMO if Arsenal get into a position to win the title they'll bottle it.
    As a Liverpool fan i genuinely don't care who wins it this year.
    I hope its entertaining and a good few shocks on the way.

The only time I've ever been confident as a Chelsea fan is when we had Mourinho. Dont get me wrong, I love Carlo as much as the next man and his style is much more easier on the eye, but Mourinho made us into a big fecking team beating, winning MACHINE! :D
    I've been following chelsea since the 70's and its been some ride I can tell ya! Whilst Liverpool were sweeping all before them in the league and europe, I made do with a single FA Cup win over Leeds. I even had to beg me dad to let me stay up and watch the replay.
    (Oh and winning the UEFA Cup winners cup the next year, by beating Real Madrid no less. Along the way we beat some team 21-0! Which is still a record today I think. Yep we were in Europe a few years before Liverpool!
    In fact, we should have played in the inaugural European Champions Cup, but for some mad reason, the league and the FA didnt want us to play in it, and so we didnt!:eek:. So yes we DO have quite a bit of history thank you!)
    Since then Chelsea would start putting a run together, only to feck up away to Wolves or something.
    Only with Mourinho could you relax with being just 1-0 up or be 1-0 down at half time, knowing you would come back and win.
    It wasnt pretty, but god after so many years it was sooooo good to win that title again. And then do it again next year!

So yep, the team is playing well again with a bit of the old confidence and zip about them but anything could happen, and Man U, much as I hate them, I still admire their managers ability to get a very average team (by their standards) to always challenge for the title.

Wow, not sure if that was a rant at me or not or a rant at all.
    If it was i don't know why.
    I was simply offering encouragement.
    Seems Chelsea fans keep mentioning the History jibe to me.

Dont worry, it was no rant at all. Just got carried away thats all!

Dont worry, it was no rant at all. Just got carried away thats all!
    I'm not worried in the slightest mate

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

From the Chelsea FC website, Thursday interview with David Luiz. Good, long insight into our new number 4. :)

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~2283554,00.html

*sigh*

Gotta say lads I'am hugely envious of you lot signing Luiz. I been watching the lad for a good few years now(mainly down to betting) and saw him live at Anfield and Estadio da Luz last season, tbf it was one of the best performances I've seen from a defender over two legs that I can remember in a very long time. The Portuguese lads on the forum I use are of similar thinking and believe he will be much better than Carvalho ever was. Hopefully he'll(as well as Torres!) have a crap debut if he does play on Sunday though ;)

• Advertisement

Looking forward to seeing more of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Luiz has been excellent up to this point, heres hoping his form takes a 5 year slide :) he was probably the best in the world not to be playing at a "big" club, now he is. very astute signing

*sigh*

Gotta say lads I'am hugely envious of you lot signing Luiz. I been watching the lad for a good few years now(mainly down to betting) and saw him live at Anfield and Estadio da Luz last season, tbf it was one of the best performances I've seen from a defender over two legs that I can remember in a very long time. The Portuguese lads on the forum I use are of similar thinking and believe he will be much better than Carvalho ever was. Hopefully he'll(as well as Torres!) have a crap debut if he does play on Sunday though ;)

Unfortunately, he may not play on Sunday

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1353377/David-Luiz-set-miss-Liverpool-clash.html

But yeah, amazed we got him and Man City didnt go for him. Their defence is real suspect.

The Monkey is well known by all in here for his negative ramblings ;) even though we try to show him otherwise, the rest of us dont need to much encouragement.

And I would like to add, fair play to, yeah have been posting in here for a while now with a different perspective from most mainly because you are a pool fan but it has added somewhat to the thread ,well done !

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

*sigh*

Better than Carvalho ...... We'll take that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

It must be really confusing for you putting batteries into your remote.

Because all you see is negative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

DOC09UNAM wrote: »

Hang your head in shame my good man.

On David Luiz, if he plays as good as Carvalho we will have got a fine player and one of the best CB's around so if he exceeds that we will be sorted for years. :D

Also on beating Man Utd, all we can do is win whether that be beating Man Utd or any other team put in front of us, if we keep winning we wil put it to the rest of the league, if it helps Arsenal/City to take the league thats the risk we take after letting ourselves get so far behind, another win Sunday will help the ball rolling though, all we can do is keep in touch and hope City, Arsenal and Man Utd drop points ahead of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Frisbee wrote: »
    Hang your head in shame my good man.

I've got to say thats the worst boards joke/pun i've ever seen! Shocking.

On David Luiz, if he plays as good as Carvalho we will have got a fine player and one of the best CB's around so if he exceeds that we will be sorted for years. :D

Also on beating Man Utd, all we can do is win whether that be beating Man Utd or any other team put in front of us, if we keep winning we wil put it to the rest of the league, if it helps Arsenal/City to take the league thats the risk we take after letting ourselves get so far behind, another win Sunday will help the ball rolling though, all we can do is keep in touch and hope City, Arsenal and Man Utd drop points ahead of us.

I'd be happy just to win every game till the end of the season, regardless of who wins the league (of course that means we'll do the FA Cup AND CL double, but I am willing to accept that as a by product ;))

DOC09UNAM wrote: »

iregk wrote: »
    I've got to say thats the worst boards joke/pun i've ever seen! Shocking.

This is electrifying TBH :pac:

/ gets coat

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement