Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11 (mod warning in post #7124)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'd be happy just to win every game till the end of the season, regardless of who wins the league (of course that means we'll do the FA Cup AND CL double, but I am willing to accept that as a by product ;))

At this stage I'll take a CL over everything, I'll even swap Torres for a CL :pac:

All signs are pointing towards us turning the corner though in recent weeks, we have won away at Bolton and Sunderland, two tricky places to get points.

Roll on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

gavredking wrote: »
    This is electrifying TBH :pac:

/ gets coat

reading these puns really hertz. They are reVOLTing. You should all be CHARGED with assault and battery. Watt in the world is up with this place when we can't conduct serious conversation. It's time to pull the plug.

abelard wrote: »
    reading these puns really hertz. They are reVOLTing. You should all be CHARGED with assault and battery. Watt in the world is up with this place when we can't conduct serious conversation. It's time to pull the plug.

/ Must....resist....urge......to.......post.....Picard.......facepalm.

:pac:

/ Must....resist....urge......to.......post.....Picard.......facepalm.

:pac:

no need to get amped up now. hopefully joule get a sense of humour some time! ;)

abelard wrote: »
    no need to get amped up now. hopefully joule get a sense of humour some time! ;)

facepalm_picard2.jpg?w=360&h=240

:D

facepalm_picard2.jpg?w=360&h=240

:D

Clearly our views on the matter are poles apart.

(Ok, that's the lat one, promise!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

^

Too late, im off to join the Liverpool Thread and get a Carroll 9 Jersey (meant for abelard BTW)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

No no, you can have it. In fact i insist;)

You should buy the Chelsea version, at least it shows him with medals in May ;)

• Advertisement

You should buy the Chelsea version, at least it shows him with medals in May ;)
    Post noted and saved for May.
    Anyway where do you get new calendars that come out in May?:D

amiable wrote: »
    Post noted and saved for May.
    Anyway where do you get new calendars that come out in May?:D

Save away ;)

Photoshop is VERY handy for mid year calendars :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Ancelotti and Torres press conference at 1.30pm.

Essien1.jpg
    Hello everyone and a warm welcome to February – the month of love – according to my brother. I am told it is the only month a woman can propose to a man. Whether it’s true or not, I have been told to put it in the blog so there it is.

This month I have decided to give Chelsea fans something to laugh about because we have put you through hell with some of our results over Christmas and New Year. We are turning the corner and hope to give you more joy in the coming months but in the meantime here is something to cheer you up.

I have been to many press conferences and have given a lot of quotes but in our business sometimes everything has to be done in such a way that it is stage-managed quite a lot. At times reporters are told not to ask certain questions and almost everything is controlled for the image and PR of our clubs.

Don’t get me wrong – I have nothing against good image and PR but at the same time it is refreshing to come across people in our game who are willing to speak their mind and tell it as it is.

We all remember Rafa Benitez having a go at Sir Alex with his famous ‘Fact’ quotes which took everyone by surprise and got us all wondering how much research had gone into that. Then there is the famous Eric Cantona seagulls and sardines quote which took me a while to understand, and there is also my own beloved Carlo Ancelotti’s ‘If it is only one person then there’s no problem,’ quote when a protestor hung a banner outside our Cobham training ground calling for him to quit.

In this job we have to take all kinds of questions and provide answers and if you are not careful you will regret what you say but three managers stand out for me in terms of humour, honesty and having a refreshing take on football. They try to put things into perspective, vis-à-vis life and football, and that is impressive

In reverse order they are Gordon Strachan, Ian Holloway and Jose Mourinho. They have provided laughter and made a mockery of journalists’ questions. They have also been honest on occasions and stated things as they see it.

Here are some quotes and Q & As from Gordon Strachan which made me laugh…

Reporter: So, Gordon, in what areas do you think Middlesborough were better than you today?

Strachan: What areas? Mainly that big green one out there….

Reporter: There’s no negative vibes or negative feelings here?

Strachan: Apart from you, we’re all quite positive round here. I’m going to whack you over the head with a big stick, down negative man, down.

Reporter: This might sound like a daft question, but you’ll be happy to get your first win under your belt, won’t you?

Strachan: You’re right. It is a daft question. I’m not even going to bother answering that one. It is a daft question, you’re spot on there.

Reporter: You don’t take losing lightly, do you Gordon?

Strachan: I don’t take stupid comments lightly either.

Strachan: I’ve got more important things to think about. I’ve got a yogurt to finish by today, the expiry date is today. That can be my priority rather than Agustin Delgado.

My second favourite has to be Ian Holloway for his refreshing press conferences. Ever since Jose left we have been crying for such funny and refreshing take on football and I love him for that. Enjoy what he has been saying below…

‘Yeah that’s great. We’ll change the date of the planet’s greatest tournament because you nuggets have given the World Cup to a country where it’s so hot… Maybe they could do the same with Christmas. My turkeys will be delighted. I’ll go and tell them they’ve got a bit of respite because Fifa have said they’re going to move Christmas this year. The whole thing is ludicrous. They are a law unto themselves these governing bodies. There is no common sense. Ridiculous. Enough said.’

Ian can also tell jokes like this one – ‘I remember my dad telling me a joke where a boxer sits on his stool between rounds and his trainer says: “Come on, he isn’t laying a glove on you”. The boxer replies: “You better watch the referee then, because somebody is hitting me.”’

Reporter: ‘Ian, have you got any injury worries?’ Holloway: ‘No, I’m fully fit, thank you.’

I tune in to watch Ian whenever I can and I cry with laughter sometimes because he has a way of putting things and handling press conferences – it’s brilliant.

Finally there is the greatest of them all in my view – ‘the special one’ Jose Mourinho. When it comes to press conferences and quotes my ex-boss is special without doubt and here is a selection.

You all remember his first quote in English football which got everyone going: ’Please don’t call me arrogant, but I’m European champion and I think I’m a special one.’

That set the tone and since then he has delivered consistently…

‘For me…pressure is Bird Flu…I’m serious the Bird Flu in Scotland is bothering me more.’ – Said during the week bird flu was discovered in Scotland and Manchester United close the gap at the top of the Premier League to 7 points – April 2006.

‘If I wanted to have an easy job… I would have stayed at Porto – beautiful blue chair, the Uefa Champions League trophy, God, and after God, me.’

‘If they don’t touch me, I won’t touch anyone. If they touch me, I’ll be ready to hit back even harder’ – on Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger.

“I am prepared. The more pressure there is, the stronger I am. In Portugal, we say the bigger the ship, the stronger the storm. Fortunately for me, I have always been in big ships. FC Porto was a very big ship in Portugal, Chelsea was also a big ship in England and Inter was a great ship in Italy. Now I’m at Real Madrid, which is considered the biggest ship on the planet.”

‘Look, I’m a coach, I’m not Harry Potter. He is magical, but in reality there is no magic. Magic is fiction and football is real.’

Mourinho summed it all up recently when he said: ‘I live in a world where you can’t say what you think, can never say the truth. Not being a hypocrite, a diplomat and a coward is my biggest defect’.’

On the subject of Press conferences one story caught my eye last month…

‘Levski Sofia basketball coach Konstantin “Titi” Papazov conducted a post-match interview entirely in mime after the domestic federation fined him 2,600 levs ($1,788) for his outspoken comments earlier in the week and for bringing the game into disrepute.

‘He responded by showing his skills as a mime artist, answering eight questions with a series of more and more animated gestures, and without saying a word.

‘”Well, I’m obliged to answer the reporters’ questions and I think they understood everything I wanted to say,” Papazov told Reporters the next day.

‘”So, I’m considering whether to continue in this way in the future. I don’t think it’s a bad idea.”’

Maybe we should all resort to miming if we are not sure what to say and may get away with it…

Ess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Does anyone else find that a tad strange? The calendar is 2011 so you'd assume like all others it was printed and available at the end of 2010. There isn't one pic in it of a Liverpool jersey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

iregk wrote: »
    Does anyone else find that a tad strange? The calendar is 2011 so you'd assume like all others it was printed and available at the end of 2010. There isn't one pic in it of a Liverpool jersey!

He had two out for 2010 and again in 2011. One in Liverpool colours and another in mostly Spanish colours. So I think it is safe to assume that come next Xmas he will have a 2012 one out in Chelsea colours and a seperate one in Spanish colours.

Would imagine it is all down to maximising how much he can make from his image.

Torres press conference coming up! Watch it here,

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LivePressConferences/0,,10268,00.html

It's on now.

also keeps freezing...

• Advertisement

Fine for me, he said he wont celebrate if he scores on Sunday.

Johner wrote: »
    Fine for me, he said he wont celebrate if he scores on Sunday.

Unless its a hat trick :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    It must be really confusing for you putting batteries into your remote.

Because all you see is negative.

eh ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

the_monkey wrote: »
    eh ?

Something to do with batteries having a positive and negative end leading to confusion......it was a poor effort :D

For those of you who cant speak Spanish, he just said

"Yes, yes Chelsea are a very BIG club, much much bigger than teeny tiny Liverpool"

"Of course I will pass to Drogba"

"I cant get hold of my wife, JT said he was taking her shopping!"

"So I will say to the other teams defence, Fernando is faster than you"

Thats woeful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

hasn't the arrival of the two signings brought about a real buzz to the club in the past few days.
    I was talking to a mate today and he said normally in the Chelsea vs Pool game he would be inclined to favour the Pool, but in Sunday's game, hes hoping Torres scores, purely for the extra intensity to the game it would bring!
    I was supposed to be working but a lie or two here and there and hopefully the boss with let me have it off.

papagormo wrote: »
    hasn't the arrival of the two signings brought about a real buzz to the club in the past few days.
    I was talking to a mate today and he said normally in the Chelsea vs Pool game he would be inclined to favour the Pool, but in Sunday's game, hes hoping Torres scores, purely for the extra intensity to the game it would bring!
    I was supposed to be working but a lie or two here and there and hopefully the boss with let me have it off.

Got to be the biggest match of the season so far, theres no way you can miss it. I'm gonna watch in the pub. Is it worth watching football in 3D?

Got to be the biggest match of the season so far, theres no way you can miss it. I'm gonna watch in the pub. Is it worth watching football in 3D?

Pub :eek:

Barstooler :rolleyes:

:pac::D:p:D

Ive watched games in 3D, IMO theres not much difference really, bets thing is looking around atthe other idiots wearing the glasses then realising you are also one of those idiots :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Pub :eek:

Barstooler :rolleyes:

:pac::D:p:D

Ive watched games in 3D, IMO theres not much difference really, bets thing is looking around atthe other idiots wearing the glasses then realising you are also one of those idiots :(

Its like being at a stevie wonder convention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

What I found with the 3D games is that if the action is on the side nearest the camera its deadly, but if the action is in the far corners of the pitch, it doesn't really zoom in far enough, I had trouble figuring who was in possession in the corners half the time!
    But ya, you feel like a bit of a tool wearing the glasses too!

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »
    Its like being at a stevie wonder convention

:cool: <
    See what I did there :D
    papagormo wrote: »
    What I found with the 3D games is that if the action is on the side nearest the camera its deadly, but if the action is in the far corners of the pitch, it doesn't really zoom in far enough, I had trouble figuring who was in possession in the corners half the time!
    But ya, you feel like a bit of a tool wearing the glasses too!

I agree, seem slike the replays and close up's really work with 3D but anything to far panning and zooming makes it awkward and yes, the looking like an eejit is probably the worse thing :o

and yes, the looking like an eejit is probably the worse thing :o
    A few jars and thats the least of your worrys!
    When the first goal goes in and you are surrounded by Pool supporters, you can get away with a quiet but diginified "Yesssssss"

But by the 4th or 5th pint, (And 4th or 5th goal) the danger level increases by punching the air and singing the Torres song.

Hint - have your exit planned! :eek:

A few jars and thats the least of your worrys!
    When the first goal goes in and you are surrounded by Pool supporters, you can get away with a quiet but diginified "Yesssssss"

But by the 4th or 5th pint, (And 4th or 5th goal) the danger level increases by punching the air and singing the Torres song.

Hint - have your exit planned! :eek:

Well I plan on going all guns blazing to the pub, alot of United and Pool fans down around my direction, United fans will want Liverpool to lose but ideal for them would be a draw.

Put it this way, im going in with my new Torres home jersey to the pub, im giving one of my buddies my Essien jersey and we're going out all day, if and when Chelsea win ;)

Rest assured I will have my exit planned for about 6pm and singing all the way home :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

I have not looked forward to a game so much in a long time. I am super confident we will win.:D:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

lol

Chorus is class though..!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

THFC wrote: »

lol

Chorus is class though..!

That is a bit embarrassing

Wait until Sunday, it will be miles better :pac:

Anyone want to make a match thread for Sunday? Im waaaay to lazy and work is nearly over :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Anything less than a 60 inch screen is a waste of time , The Living room on Cathal brugah(Dublin) street have a 200" projected screen which will blow your bloody socks off

I have the 60" 3D at home and its unreal, cant wait for Sunday have the bag packed already !

That nando song is cringe worthy .

Anything less than a 60 inch screen is a waste of time , The Living room on Cathal brugah(Dublin) street have a 200" projected screen which will blow your bloody socks off

I have the 60" 3D at home and its unreal, cant wait for Sunday have the bag packed already !

That nando song is cringe worthy .

There we go lads, we are all invited to pistolpetes on Sunday :pac:

Ya gotta bring your own 3D glasses though, go to a crappy 3D film in the cinema and "forget" to hand them back :P

Cheers Pete for the offer :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Ya gotta bring your own 3D glasses though, go to a crappy 3D film in the cinema and "forget" to hand them back :P

I have 5 pairs but there the active ones , oh one problem ,

I dont think the OH would be too happy cause I will be at the game !

That 200" screen uses the ones you get in the cinema, Im telling you it will blow you away

Oh here is the video of Nandos press conference

http://www.sportpost.com/video/view/Chelsea+FC++Torres+Press+Conference

I have 5 pairs but there the active ones , oh one problem ,

I dont think the OH would be too happy cause I will be at the game !

That 200" screen uses the ones you get in the cinema, Im telling you it will blow you away

Oh here is the video of Nandos press conference

http://www.sportpost.com/video/view/Chelsea+FC++Torres+Press+Conference

You used to be cool pete :( :P

One problem I have is im in Cork, biggest screen we have is a 14'' with an aerial :P

That screen sounds very cool alright though, I think the Soho Bar in Cork have a similar big projector screen ( not 3D ) too so might go there, although wherever the buddies go I'll go and cause havoc when we win :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

imag0022ch.jpg

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

So nice for Pete to invite us.I work in a cinema so ill rob a box :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Not a Chelsea/Liverpool fan but Torres to score a hat trick on Sunday ;)

It'd be awful sad if Torres turned out to be another Schevchenko:p

amiable wrote: »
    It'd be awful sad if Torres turned out to be another Schevchenko:p

Ye it would, it would also be terrible if Carroll turned out to be another Andrey Voronin

Ye it would, it would also be terrible if Carroll turned out to be another Andrey Voronin
    What a terrible comeback. Oh my
    How much did Voronin cost?

Just a statement. Oh I guess around nothing, what he was worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Both have lovely hair though :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement