Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11 (mod warning in post #7124)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

gavredking wrote: »
    Johnson was a penalty, the fact Ivanovic was watching the ball and Johnson knocked him over even was stupid form him, Agger/Skertel was jumping with Ivanovic so it was stupid from him.

On the handball by Lucas, if the officials were consistent then it should have been given as they gave a free against Merieles for a similar incident earlier but that would have been a bit soft.
    To me that just suggests the handball outside the box was wrong IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

amiable wrote: »
    To me that just suggests the handball outside the box was wrong IMO.

At the end of the day, we just werent good enough:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Yeah,I support Liverpool because they win loads of trophys alright,I am a sheep folowing the trophy herd!

Chelsea are a unionist anti semite scum filled club with sectarian fans that associate themselves with rangers et al.
    My friends dont support Liverpool so its not only my view but a common question towards our single chelsea supporting friend is how he supports a club whos fans are clearly anti Irish and rascist.

chelsea_loyal_flagsmall.jpg

british_alliance_calling_card__linfield_rangers___chelsea_.jpg

112801551a112832503b336225523l.jpg

CFC_LOYAL_FLAG_SM.JPG

semi_2007_blur.JPG

Chelsea_Loyal_2_FlagSM_.jpg

chelsealoyal.jpg

Just stop. Yes Chelsea have had problems with a minority of their fanbase over the years, but I can say with no hint of exaggeration that we have had a similar vile minority amongst the Liverpool fanbase who were not so tolerant towards people of other creeds or skin colour. Thankfully it has improved to no end, but there are still nutters around supporting various clubs and attatching their own hateful views to the colours of the clubs they "support".

Liverpool supporters don't like it when we get tarred with the one brush, so we should not be trying the same shyte to supporters at other clubs.

Playing the they hate the Irish card is a bit low as well as it is worthless in my eyes. I had an Irish Everton fan, well fan may be a bit optimistic, he was wearing an Everton top but that does not mean he is a blue, call me a Scouse *&%^ last month with no hint of irony due to my accent, but I am not going to tar every football supporter with an Irish accent because of the words of one idiot. Same goes for Chelsea fans or fans of whatever club you care to pick. Just because some idiots like to pose with their hate flags and act like thugs does not mean the whole fanbase suscribes to the same views.

At the end of the day, we just werent good enough:(
    I don't know whats wrong there but there's something amiss.
    I don't think its as simple as just ray wilkins leaving.
    I've had the pleasure of meeting the man on numerous occasions and he's a top bloke imo.
    In saying all that i don't think whatever is wrong at CFC is too difficult to fix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Excellent?

A bit strong to describe that performance.

What I will say is, our front 3, which is one of the best combined talent in football looked useless, that was down to the supply and fact Liverpool got the tactics spot on, Liverpool knew alot of our play would be through the centre and packed it, Kelly and Johnson played in field when they had to and with Lucas and Gerrard in there too it was too pakced for us to play.

How many shots did we have, about 20 and about 2 on target? One of the worse performances Ive seen form this team in a long time, on reflection of the game I would have rathered Maxi's shot.miss of the season gone in as it might have sparked us but we were terrible.

I can't agree with you here. Read the bits in bold. Liverpool were excellent because they got their tactics spot on.

In November, we allowed Liverpool to beat us because we were muck.

Yesterday the forced us into submission both tactically and physically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Kess73 wrote: »
    Just stop. Yes Chelsea have had problems with a minority of their fanbase over the years, but I can say with no hint of exaggeration that we have had a similar vile minority amongst the Liverpool fanbase who were not so tolerant towards people of other creeds or skin colour. Thankfully it has improved to no end, but there are still nutters around supporting various clubs and attatching their own hateful views to the colours of the clubs they "support".

Liverpool supporters don't like it when we get tarred with the one brush, so we should not be trying the same shyte to supporters at other clubs.

Playing the they hate the Irish card is a bit low as well as it is worthless in my eyes. I had an Irish Everton fan, well fan may be a bit optimistic, he was wearing an Everton top but that does not mean he is a blue, call me a Scouse *&%^ last month with no hint of irony due to my accent, but I am not going to tar every football supporter with an Irish accent because of the words of one idiot. Same goes for Chelsea fans or fans of whatever club you care to pick. Just because some idiots like to pose with their hate flags and act like thugs does not mean the whole fanbase suscribes to the same views.

Good point Kess, every club has a small miniority of idiots, the only reason I stayed away from these pics and discussing them is that its very easy to go in circles when pointing out flaws in another club without recognissing your own clubs short comings, every club and stadoum can do without these idiots.

amiable wrote: »
    I don't know whats wrong there but there's something amiss.
    I don't think its as simple as just ray wilkins leaving.
    I've had the pleasure of meeting the man on numerous occasions and he's a top bloke imo.
    In saying all that i don't think whatever is wrong at CFC is too difficult to fix

Whatever the problem is, I think it has cost us this season, im a Chelsea fan that will stand up and say ya we deserved to beat yesterday and also i'll say i think the league is beyond us but with 70 miilion spent we are looking good for next year and the investments were very timely, thats a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I wouldn't be too confident about 4th, Spurs are on the same points as us and they will do well between now and the end of the season, Ancellotti found a winning formation in the sunderland game and he had to change that to accomodate Torres, now he will have to do this for the rest of the season (Roman will force his hand) and will cost us more points.

1st time im thinking Torres signing could be a bad thing.

the_monkey wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too confident about 4th, Spurs are on the same points as us and they will do well between now and the end of the season, Ancellotti found a winning formation in the sunderland game and he had to change that to accomodate Torres, now he will have to do this for the rest of the season (Roman will force his hand) and will cost us more points.

It was the same formation, same system, only Torres in for Kalou, the main difference was Sunderland tried to play football in the 1st half and we kept catching them and in the 2nd half they werent as defensively sound as Liverpool.

We will finish in the top 4, Id bet anything on that fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Have not read over the match thread but for me one of the key mistakes in the goal was cech pulled out of going for the ball as it looked like he was gonna collide with ivanovich. Anybody else notice this?

• Advertisement

racso1975 wrote: »
    Have not read over the match thread but for me one of the key mistakes in the goal was cech pulled out of going for the ball as it looked like he was gonna collide with ivanovich. Anybody else notice this?

Either Cech or Ivanovic didnt deal with it, it was easier for Cech to deal with then Ivanovic but the blame lies on the back four for the goal. Earlier in the game Cech came and claimed a ball that him and Ivanovic nearly came to blows over, this must have been in their minds for the goal.

Absolutely school boy defending with nobody taking hold off the situation.

I want to see Luiz in the team ASAP.

Spurs are still in the Champions League so that will be a massive distraction.
    I can't see Spurs making fourth position tbh

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

We have time to work the formation and settle it down , less of the bloody negativity and show some Chelsea spirit ( Although it seems the players were inept in that department yesterday ;) )

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

racso1975 wrote: »

Totally Cechs fault , he has been poor the last few games IMO, couple of good shot stops but the basics are starting to let him down agai , His kickouts were dreadful yesterday too.

Totally Cechs fault , he has been poor the last few games IMO, couple of good shot stops but the basics are starting to let him down agai , His kickouts were dreadful yesterday too.

In fairness to Cech he was outstanding against Everton in the FA Cup

To me Cech looked like a man who was worried he'd get clattered and pulled out.
    I think he's a shadow of his former self.
    He was head and shoulders above everyone else a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Congrats to A.Cole who wins the English player of the year..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

He's been brilliant in the last year or so. Can't be easy for him as his skull is thinner than normal as he is a triplet but he's still a world class keeper.

Johner wrote: »
    He's been brilliant in the last year or so. Can't be easy for him as his skull is thinner than normal as he is a triplet but he's still a world class keeper.
    I didn't realise he was a triplet.
    He's just lost something IMO.
    Its a shame. I hate to see a quality player lose what he had.
    He's still excellent IMO. Just lost the air of invincibility he had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Congrats to Ashley Cole for picking up the English Player of the Year award.
    link

papagormo wrote: »
    link
    A good bit of news for Carlo and the whole team

• Advertisement

papagormo wrote: »
    link

Fully deserved IMO. Best LB in the league and world, offers so much going forward and is very good at defending, brillant modern day LB who has to get forward and track back.

People hate Ashley as a person and his off-field life and celbirty status but as a footballer hes outstanding.

On Cech, he is still easily one of the top keepers in the world, there is only a handful that are up to his level and ability. 'Keepers like Reina, VDS, Casillas, Buffon, Lloris, Julio Cesar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

its time to write off our title hopes!!

lets just concentrate on getting in the top 4, get our two new players settled in with the FA Cup and Champions league left to play for, then come back next season and smash people!!

always said they shouldnt have started Torres, they could have brought him on as a sub if we were losing, no point in upsetting the balance in such a big game from the start!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

Could be a couple of quiet years for Chelsea but we are on the right track. We are on the right track and there is plenty of good years ahead.

Sunday is done and dusted lads, all the bitching and moaning between us and the 'Pool fans can be stopped for another season hopefully.

I want to wish them the best for the season and I cant wait until next year when both teams are stronger and hopefully both pushing harder for the title, good win to all the 'Pool lads here.

Lance, I agree, we should concentrate on getting 4th and I think we will once we dont fall to pieces and hoppefulyl a good, deep run in the CL will sort us out.:cool:

Strongly linked again with a 6millon move for McCarthy,would be a great signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

Strongly linked again with a 6millon move for McCarthy,would be a great signing.
    Good - crying out for creativity and energy in that midfield. Time to cash in on some of our under-performers? This could be a summer of big change and turmoil. They've 3 and a bit months to earn their Chelsea futures.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

My boss knows his uncle and his family don't want him at Chelsea as they are staunch Celtic fans.

RasTa wrote: »
    My boss knows his uncle and his family don't want him at Chelsea as they are staunch Celtic fans.

Pretty sure his family wanted him to play for Scotland too. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6737042,00.html

Cech takes full responsibility for the error that let in such a soft goal against 'Pool.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

These things happen. My main worry is midfield to be honest. Some big name needs to spend some time on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Lukker- wrote: »
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6737042,00.html

Cech takes full responsibility for the error that let in such a soft goal against 'Pool.

Good, tbf to cech I think he has been excellent for us this year and he makes one mistake and everyone is saying he lost his bottle, ridiculous. Just look at our defensive record on set pieces this yea, its excellent and last year so called pundits were saying that cech was dodgy in the air.

Imagine the irony in this - Torres signed for us cos he wants CL football,
    we finish 5th this season and Liverpool 4th - can you imagine it ?? :eek::eek:

Could easily happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Could easily happen.

Like when Owen signed for Madrid to win trophies. 9 months later Liverpool were champions of Europe.

Smart money's still on Chelsea for at least 4th spot, unless things go very wrong in the 3 games against Man Utd and Arsenal...

Pretty sure his family wanted him to play for Scotland too. :p
    Money talks though and their position could soon change once they see the colour of the money on offer if true

Could easily happen.

Better still, Man U, Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool and Spurs are banned from Europe for bad debts. So are Barca, Real Madrid and Bayen.
    Arsenal are banned just for being so bloody smug and holier than thou.

Sunderland, Bolton, Stoke and Blackpool enter
    and the final is between Blackpool and Swiss young Boys.

Ian Holloway is fined 50 quid and forced to wear a "kiss me quick hat" for fielding a weakened side and complaining that some of the young boys had long hair and kept lifting their tops to flash his players.

Wolves lose 3-2 to Cardiff in the UEFA cup

It could happen

Like when Owen signed for Madrid to win trophies. 9 months later Liverpool were champions of Europe.

Smart money's still on Chelsea for at least 4th spot, unless things go very wrong in the 3 games against Man Utd and Arsenal...

I can't see us finishing in 4th , I think we will do a lot better than 4th some folks in here (the monkey) need to get a bloody reality check !

I really hope we drop lampard sooner than later, looking at him yesterday looks like he has piled the pounds on again and won't be long till till we hear the fat frank jibes again , although I put this down to new girlfriend syndrome . I was once a victim of it myself :D

All messing aside he has been missing in the games lately , rameries was starting to look really good , was he injured on sunday ?

Hopefully Malouda now realises that his place is not guaranteed and his has to start showing some top form again soon.

Did anyone else hear the Owen Coyle has been so impressed with Danny that he is trying to do a deal now to keep him for next season too , well done Danny for taking you loan chance to prove your worth.

A monkey type review of the match! (From CFCnet)

"The utterly apathetic, passionless, incompetent, spiritless, witless drivel of a display we put out yesterday feels like a personal slur against me. After the expectation fed by recent results I genuinely felt we’d be up for this game like no other. What we got was a performance that would have shamed a Sunday morning pub team after their annual Christmas party the night before. Drogba was so poor I could have cried. Anelka tried to find spaces to play him in because Torres was firmly locked down by at least 3 Liverpool players whenever he looked to be near the ball. That should have made space for Didier but he was in lumping great oaf mode so all he did was one good defensive header and then show us how on a bad day he can’t pass, tackle, shoot or control a ball. Frank Lampard was dreadful, and I can honestly say I’ve never seen such a piss poor display from him. He seemed detached from the game and his passing was dreadful as was his ball control. Bosingwa is starting to look like the worst £17m ever spent. He can’t cross, opting as he does for the low ball straight to the opposition feet. Even Gronkjaer got the odd one in. During the first half we could have had a picnic down by the West/MH stands area of the pitch and still Bosingwa wouldn’t have found us. Gaping great spaces everywhere. Cech was at fault for the goal, and is spat with Ivanovic shows patently that he’s no Schmeichel when it comes to keeping his defence informed and bossing his area. Essien is a shadow of the player we bought. Is this just a winter thing or has his power, passing and ball control also just disappeared? Obi started badly with a yellow card, which rattled him; but at least he did gradually get back into the game, albeit with the Sword of Damocles waiting to drop at the next mis-timed tackle.
    Ashley Cole ran a lot, Torres as one might expect was simply crowded out of the game, and Anelka looked for openings but must have been frustrated at the lack of movement from the remaining forward he could service. JT was his usual self but seemed to lose influence after the goal. One has to ask if he’s lost the fear factor in geeing up the others on the pitch. Kalou and Malouda came on and contributed precise nothing to a performance that was shameful Our one true bright spot was David Luiz, who came on with his hair, started bossing others around and was possibly one of the few in blue who looked comfortable with the ball. He just oozed class. We also badly missed the running of Ramires yesterday, a young lad putting Essien to shame in my view. As a comparison, look at the hateful Dirk Kuyt. Technically a bit limited, a niggling irritant in the mould of Bellamy….but boy does he put in a shift for Liverpool for every second of the game. Our players should watch the video paying attention to Kuyt, and they should be downright ashamed by comparing their attitude to his.
    And finally to Carlo Ancelotti. I want to support him. I’ve said before that we don’t really need the managerial roundabout starting again. But, tactically he is starting to look inept. One can almost predict the substitutions he’s going to make, almost down to the exact minute he’ll make them. He seems as bad as Wenger when it comes to that Plan B. Jose, as I’ve oft said had plans going all the way to Z. I’m publicly also questioning why he seems to think he can do the job alone, with no number 2 to speak of. Clement might be good, but he ain’t no Clarke, Phelan, Kidd, Jordan, Platt, Rice or similar. And Emenalo isn’t even another Tony Glover as far as I can see in terms of football experience. Is it just me that’s worried by this? Is he that stubborn, or that weak? Surely the club would get as much a lift as it did with Torres/Luiz, if it signed up Zola, or Di Matteo to act as Carlo’s number 2? Someone to act as his foil, to offer alternative thoughts…someone to be his wingman!
    The league has gone now to all but the utterly deluded. The games against United will almost certainly be dead rubbers. Does anyone think we can beat Manchester City if we can’t even draw with what is still a comparatively poor Liverpool side? Even Spurs must fancy their chances when they come to out part of town. Carlo and Roman need to get a grip on the current malaise to prevent more pathetic displays like yesterday where we only had one shot on target. I hate losing, but worse than that I hate losing in such a spineless, gutless, passionless and apathetic manner as shown yesterday.
    Sort it out Chels!!!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

hmmmmm, embarrasing:o:pac:

• Advertisement

Better still, Man U, Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool and Spurs are banned from Europe for bad debts. So are Barca, Real Madrid and Bayen.
    Arsenal are banned just for being so bloody smug and holier than thou.

Sunderland, Bolton, Stoke and Blackpool enter
    and the final is between Blackpool and Swiss young Boys.

Ian Holloway is fined 50 quid and forced to wear a "kiss me quick hat" for fielding a weakened side and complaining that some of the young boys had long hair and kept lifting their tops to flash his players.

Wolves lose 3-2 to Cardiff in the UEFA cup

It could happen

I'll have one of what your on :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

"The utterly apathetic, passionless, incompetent, spiritless, witless drivel of a display we put out yesterday feels like a personal slur against me. After the expectation fed by recent results I genuinely felt we’d be up for this game like no other. What we got was a performance that would have shamed a Sunday morning pub team after their annual Christmas party the night before. Drogba was so poor I could have cried. Anelka tried to find spaces to play him in because Torres was firmly locked down by at least 3 Liverpool players whenever he looked to be near the ball. That should have made space for Didier but he was in lumping great oaf mode so all he did was one good defensive header and then show us how on a bad day he can’t pass, tackle, shoot or control a ball. Frank Lampard was dreadful, and I can honestly say I’ve never seen such a piss poor display from him. He seemed detached from the game and his passing was dreadful as was his ball control. Bosingwa is starting to look like the worst £17m ever spent. He can’t cross, opting as he does for the low ball straight to the opposition feet. Even Gronkjaer got the odd one in. During the first half we could have had a picnic down by the West/MH stands area of the pitch and still Bosingwa wouldn’t have found us. Gaping great spaces everywhere. Cech was at fault for the goal, and is spat with Ivanovic shows patently that he’s no Schmeichel when it comes to keeping his defence informed and bossing his area. Essien is a shadow of the player we bought. Is this just a winter thing or has his power, passing and ball control also just disappeared? Obi started badly with a yellow card, which rattled him; but at least he did gradually get back into the game, albeit with the Sword of Damocles waiting to drop at the next mis-timed tackle.
    Ashley Cole ran a lot, Torres as one might expect was simply crowded out of the game, and Anelka looked for openings but must have been frustrated at the lack of movement from the remaining forward he could service. JT was his usual self but seemed to lose influence after the goal. One has to ask if he’s lost the fear factor in geeing up the others on the pitch. Kalou and Malouda came on and contributed precise nothing to a performance that was shameful Our one true bright spot was David Luiz, who came on with his hair, started bossing others around and was possibly one of the few in blue who looked comfortable with the ball. He just oozed class. We also badly missed the running of Ramires yesterday, a young lad putting Essien to shame in my view. As a comparison, look at the hateful Dirk Kuyt. Technically a bit limited, a niggling irritant in the mould of Bellamy….but boy does he put in a shift for Liverpool for every second of the game. Our players should watch the video paying attention to Kuyt, and they should be downright ashamed by comparing their attitude to his.
    And finally to Carlo Ancelotti. I want to support him. I’ve said before that we don’t really need the managerial roundabout starting again. But, tactically he is starting to look inept. One can almost predict the substitutions he’s going to make, almost down to the exact minute he’ll make them. He seems as bad as Wenger when it comes to that Plan B. Jose, as I’ve oft said had plans going all the way to Z. I’m publicly also questioning why he seems to think he can do the job alone, with no number 2 to speak of. Clement might be good, but he ain’t no Clarke, Phelan, Kidd, Jordan, Platt, Rice or similar. And Emenalo isn’t even another Tony Glover as far as I can see in terms of football experience. Is it just me that’s worried by this? Is he that stubborn, or that weak? Surely the club would get as much a lift as it did with Torres/Luiz, if it signed up Zola, or Di Matteo to act as Carlo’s number 2? Someone to act as his foil, to offer alternative thoughts…someone to be his wingman!
    The league has gone now to all but the utterly deluded. The games against United will almost certainly be dead rubbers. Does anyone think we can beat Manchester City if we can’t even draw with what is still a comparatively poor Liverpool side? Even Spurs must fancy their chances when they come to out part of town. Carlo and Roman need to get a grip on the current malaise to prevent more pathetic displays like yesterday where we only had one shot on target. I hate losing, but worse than that I hate losing in such a spineless, gutless, passionless and apathetic manner as shown yesterday.
    Sort it out Chels!!!!!"
    Cant take issue with any of that.:(

RasTa wrote: »

Did he not turn down Celtic to go to Wigan?

Did he not turn down Celtic to go to Wigan?

He's not going to play for scotland anyways?!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/mccarthy-committed-to-ireland-despite-trap-comment-2529355.html

Seen it on the thread about the lad, I wouldnt be surprised if he did go and declare for Scotland, how he is not a starter for Rep of Ireland is beyond me.

• Advertisement

Sort it out Chels!!!!!"

That pretty much summed up the game for me too , shameful display, players need to be dropped .

As mentioned , Kuyt is not a great player but by god does he put in his shift , I dont mind loosing but going down without a fight is very hard to take .

I 100% expected us to win on Sunday and all credit has to be given to Liverpool for the way they played but come on Carlo get in there and start banging some heads , Lets be having the passion back , I still expect us to do better than fourth but would be disgusted to see another performance like sunday , there has been way to many of them this season for what ever reason.

Hopefully the boys come out with all guns blazing against Fulham !

Chelsea's sporting director Frank Arnesen last night declared that spending money was the only way to win trophies and suggested, comparing his club with Arsenal, that investing in youth alone was a strategy for clubs who "don't want to win trophies but want to be involved in the Champions League".

Arnesen, who will leave Stamford Bridge at the end of the season, has presided over Roman Abramovich's £60m plan to build Chelsea through youth development but the club's vast January outlay on Fernando Torres and David Luiz suggests the Russian has reverted to spending his way to success. Arnesen told BBC Radio 5 Live his pledge to Abramovich had been to deliver one genuine first team player by 2010, but said the overriding Abramovich philosophy was winning, which meant spending.

"The most important people are the people at the top of the club, who own it," Arnesen said. "They have the philosophy. Arsenal have their philosophy and we have ours and we stick to it. [Abramovich] believes in [youth]. But he demands that you will win so you have to sign players from outside. If you want to be top you need to hire the best players from outside. If you go with the youth you will probably not win a lot of trophies. If [you] don't want to win trophies and want to be involved in the Champions League, then OK, you go with youth

His statement is pretty true , you need to mix it up between youth and some bought in talent to keep wining and its nice to see thats the approach the club will be taking.

Sure even Arsenal have had to start to spend a little , over the last season or two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Italian reports claim we've agreed a deal for Hamsik for 30mil.

smuckers wrote: »
    Italian reports claim we've agreed a deal for Hamsik for 30mil.

I tell you when Roman goes on a spending spree he does not do it in half measures ,

I was thinking about this last night in relation to Torres , I feel he was bought more so with an eye on next season, with Drogba prob now past his peak or at least reaching it , I think it was a pre emptive to strike to stay away from a bidding war but also getting a top class replacement for a top class player.

Hopefully drogba has another season or two in him but I dont think he will be able to play week in and out as he gets that bit older or looses some of his pace that has tortured many a defense.

34 million for Hamsik?:eek:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement