Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11 (mod warning in post #7124)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I could see Drogba going back to Marseille.
    Not sure when but its a possibility especially with him turning 33 next month.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Yeah he could be gone , after his bout of illness he has not been the same player , but he showed what he is capable of against Bolton.

Brilliant summary of his display from the Shed chat
    TheShed wrote:
    Drogs was in his 'stroke the CB' mood on Sunday. As soon as he does that, one of them falls over and he rushes to pick them up and make sure they are OK, you know he is not interested. Sadly he has done more stroking than striking (ooh sorry) this season.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

He had a song the other day about Torres too and how is he getting access to the ground, Bloody embarrassing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Think he did one for Benayoun, he's annoying alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

gavredking wrote: »
    Did he not turn down Celtic to go to Wigan?

No idea, I know Celtic turned him down as a kid. His uncle thinks he is his agent, he will end up at United he was claiming two years back.

Don't see it happening myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

RasTa wrote: »
    No idea, I know Celtic turned him down as a kid. His uncle thinks he is his agent, he will end up at United he was claiming two years back.

Don't see it happening myself.

I think when he was leaving Hamilton he turned down Celtic.

Hes a good young player, he could make the step up with a bigger club if he's more consistent IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

amiable wrote: »
    I could see Drogba going back to Marseille.
    Not sure when but its a possibility especially with him turning 33 next month.

Yep, since Roman opened his wallet, we are being linked with even more players than usual!

Hamsink,Van der weil,Lukaku,Sanchez, Neymar etc

And the daily rags reckon the following will be departing the bridge

Didier Drogba, Florent Malouda, John Obi Mikel, Jose Bosingwa and Yuri Zhirkov,and Ferreira

Hell, now we are linked with Fabregas!

http://www.chelseadaft.org/2011/02/reports-of-bid-for-arsenal-captain.html

Lampard will captain England.

Is anyone watching the England U21's? How's Josh doing?

Johner wrote: »

Josh is having a stormer according to the boys on the Shed chat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Very well.

Jack Cork has had a stormer of a game. I would love to rob him from ye!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Watched the game, McEahcran split the Italy defense a couple of times, Scott Sinclair really should have scored.

I cant wait for Josh to play much more games next season, great talent.

Yep, since Roman opened his wallet, we are being linked with even more players than usual!

Hamsink,Van der weil,Lukaku,Sanchez, Neymar etc

And the daily rags reckon the following will be departing the bridge

Didier Drogba, Florent Malouda, John Obi Mikel, Jose Bosingwa and Yuri Zhirkov,and Ferreira

Hell, now we are linked with Fabregas!

http://www.chelseadaft.org/2011/02/reports-of-bid-for-arsenal-captain.html

I can see Zhirkov going with Ferriera too, the rest are doubtful unless we replace them.

LOL at the Cesc bid though :pac: I' dlike to see Sanchez in the summer though.

Wonder how much Barca will have to pay for Fabregas, probably about 50million.

You can imagine if Cesc is too go this year he must be worth 50 million at least, given how much Torres, Carroll went for.

or straight swap for Messi :D

Lukker- wrote: »
    Watched the game, McEahcran split the Italy defense a couple of times, Scott Sinclair really should have scored.

I do wonder if Scott Siclair is "the one got away"

He's having a stormer at Swansea, I know its a lower league an all, but you do wonder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

I do wonder if Scott Siclair is "the one got away"

He's having a stormer at Swansea, I know its a lower league an all, but you do wonder!
    Look at his time at Wigan and that will answer that question for you.

Stoch is the one that got away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

A monkey type review of the match! (From CFCnet)

"The utterly apathetic, passionless, incompetent, spiritless, witless drivel of a display we put out yesterday feels like a personal slur against me. After the expectation fed by recent results I genuinely felt we’d be up for this game like no other. What we got was a performance that would have shamed a Sunday morning pub team after their annual Christmas party the night before. Drogba was so poor I could have cried. Anelka tried to find spaces to play him in because Torres was firmly locked down by at least 3 Liverpool players whenever he looked to be near the ball. That should have made space for Didier but he was in lumping great oaf mode so all he did was one good defensive header and then show us how on a bad day he can’t pass, tackle, shoot or control a ball. Frank Lampard was dreadful, and I can honestly say I’ve never seen such a piss poor display from him. He seemed detached from the game and his passing was dreadful as was his ball control. Bosingwa is starting to look like the worst £17m ever spent. He can’t cross, opting as he does for the low ball straight to the opposition feet. Even Gronkjaer got the odd one in. During the first half we could have had a picnic down by the West/MH stands area of the pitch and still Bosingwa wouldn’t have found us. Gaping great spaces everywhere. Cech was at fault for the goal, and is spat with Ivanovic shows patently that he’s no Schmeichel when it comes to keeping his defence informed and bossing his area. Essien is a shadow of the player we bought. Is this just a winter thing or has his power, passing and ball control also just disappeared? Obi started badly with a yellow card, which rattled him; but at least he did gradually get back into the game, albeit with the Sword of Damocles waiting to drop at the next mis-timed tackle.
    Ashley Cole ran a lot, Torres as one might expect was simply crowded out of the game, and Anelka looked for openings but must have been frustrated at the lack of movement from the remaining forward he could service. JT was his usual self but seemed to lose influence after the goal. One has to ask if he’s lost the fear factor in geeing up the others on the pitch. Kalou and Malouda came on and contributed precise nothing to a performance that was shameful Our one true bright spot was David Luiz, who came on with his hair, started bossing others around and was possibly one of the few in blue who looked comfortable with the ball. He just oozed class. We also badly missed the running of Ramires yesterday, a young lad putting Essien to shame in my view. As a comparison, look at the hateful Dirk Kuyt. Technically a bit limited, a niggling irritant in the mould of Bellamy….but boy does he put in a shift for Liverpool for every second of the game. Our players should watch the video paying attention to Kuyt, and they should be downright ashamed by comparing their attitude to his.
    And finally to Carlo Ancelotti. I want to support him. I’ve said before that we don’t really need the managerial roundabout starting again. But, tactically he is starting to look inept. One can almost predict the substitutions he’s going to make, almost down to the exact minute he’ll make them. He seems as bad as Wenger when it comes to that Plan B. Jose, as I’ve oft said had plans going all the way to Z. I’m publicly also questioning why he seems to think he can do the job alone, with no number 2 to speak of. Clement might be good, but he ain’t no Clarke, Phelan, Kidd, Jordan, Platt, Rice or similar. And Emenalo isn’t even another Tony Glover as far as I can see in terms of football experience. Is it just me that’s worried by this? Is he that stubborn, or that weak? Surely the club would get as much a lift as it did with Torres/Luiz, if it signed up Zola, or Di Matteo to act as Carlo’s number 2? Someone to act as his foil, to offer alternative thoughts…someone to be his wingman!
    The league has gone now to all but the utterly deluded. The games against United will almost certainly be dead rubbers. Does anyone think we can beat Manchester City if we can’t even draw with what is still a comparatively poor Liverpool side? Even Spurs must fancy their chances when they come to out part of town. Carlo and Roman need to get a grip on the current malaise to prevent more pathetic displays like yesterday where we only had one shot on target. I hate losing, but worse than that I hate losing in such a spineless, gutless, passionless and apathetic manner as shown yesterday.
    Sort it out Chels!!!!!"

What a hero!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

reluctant to keep harping back to Sunday - but posting this really as comment on Carlos tactical acumen (or lack of).
    Detailed analysis of Sunday how/why/if etc

http://bluetinted.com/Site/Articles/Articles.aspx?articleid=24

What do you think?

• Advertisement

Bruma to Leicester City on loan is nearly done.

Is that young Clifford fella getting any time on the irish team ?

Yeah, with the U21's!

Got U19 player of the year at the FAI awards the other night too. Scored a cracker for the Chelsea reserves against Arsenal the other day, should be going back out on loan soon.

reluctant to keep harping back to Sunday - but posting this really as comment on Carlos tactical acumen (or lack of).
    Detailed analysis of Sunday how/why/if etc

http://bluetinted.com/Site/Articles/Articles.aspx?articleid=24

What do you think?

Jesus is the crisis period returning ?

I thought we were on the road to recovery.

Yeah, with the U21's!

Got U19 player of the year at the FAI awards the other night too. Scored a cracker for the Chelsea reserves against Arsenal the other day, should be going back out on loan soon.

Let's hope he stays!

the_monkey wrote: »

We are still in it, according to one punter

111-150x150.jpgFernando Torres would be the man to lead this fight back and the stage was set for him to make his mark against his former club. However neither the punches, nor the goals from Torres came as Liverpool comfortably tamed Chelsea, and their former hero. Torres was out of sorts, leading to Carlo Ancelotti to defend his new £50 million man. “We have to give Fernando time to adjust to the shape”.
    Time however, is running out if Chelsea are going to sustain a fight to reclaim their title. I happen to believe though, that there is still a glimmer of hope for Chelsea fans despite a disappointing afternoon.
    122-150x150.jpg While United have only just lost their first league game of the season, not many would have thought it would have come at the hands of Wolves. What next for United? A win against City and everything will be rosy again, United retaining their 4 point gap at the top of the table.
    However a loss in their own backyard against their fierce neighbours and what then? In the 2008/09 season Liverpool went to Old Trafford knowing a defeat would put them out of the title race, they won 4-1. The following week United lost at Fulham, Liverpool beat Villa and the title race was back on.
    United of course went on to win the title that year, but if history repeats itself and they do lose two games in a row again, the pressure will be significantly increased. The media will thrive on it, claiming United are losing their bottle, players will become itchy and performances will be further scrutinised.
    United while having not hit top gear yet, have also not hit the sticky patch every team does in their season. Chelsea has well and truly had theirs and while they will be disappointed not to make up for United’s defeat, they will surely have overcome the problems they incurred over the Christmas period.
    Chelsea with the signings of Torres and David Luiz can only get stronger, while United must restore themselves to winnings ways as quickly as possible.
    While Torres failed to make an impact against his former club, I have no doubt he can be a success at Chelsea. There is too much class in the Chelsea team for him not to be provided with service to improve on his 9 league goals this season.
    It can be argued maybe getting this game out of the way would be more beneficial for him. Chelsea have certainly been boosted by these two major signings during the transfer window.
    133-150x150.jpg The atmosphere around the ground before kick off was electric, with many fans having already purchased Torres shirts, banners were even seen in the ground, with fans already idolising their new striker.
    It will take time for Ancelotti to find out what the best partnership is for his team to accommodate Torres but once he has, he will have one of the best forward lines in the world. The transfer of David Luiz was also a wise one to shore up the blues seemingly dodgy defence. The goal on Sunday showed a lack of communication and organisation between the players. If Luiz can adapt quickly to the Premier League, his partnership with John Terry could be crucial If Chelsea can get back in the hunt for the title.
    Finally we can look at the fixtures ahead to show why Chelsea still has a chance of competing. United still have plenty of difficult games in which to drop points. Starting of course this Saturday in the Manchester derby, while I believe United will come out on top, this will still be a tough fixture.
    Lose and as mentioned previously the pressure will only be increased on Sir Alex Ferguson’s men. United have to play Chelsea twice, which will obviously prove crucial.
    142-150x150.jpgChelsea are currently 10 points behind united but should they win both these games, it will be reduced to 4 and Sir Alex will be telling his boys it’s squeaky bum time. Chelsea went to Old Trafford last season knowing only a win would do and it is no different this time round.
    United also have to travel to fierce rivals Liverpool, who continue their rejuvenation under Kenny Dalglish, making it four wins out of five. More emphasis will be put on this fixture as Liverpool will be in no mood to help United achieve their record of 19th top division titles.
    152-150x150.jpgArsenal are still within grasp of United and get the chance of closing the gap come the 30th April when United arrive at the Emirates. The timing of this clash is critical, so close to the end of the season, Arsenal will know losing this fixture that late on will surely end their title ambitions.
    With all this in mind it is clear the next few months will be exciting ones as far as the title race is concerned. United are still the favourites but there is sure to be many twists and turns on the way. There are so many big clashes to look forward to and some big players are still yet to live up to their reputations this season.
    This is what makes the Premier League the best league in the world, unpredictable and full of surprises. This weekend was no different, Arsenal comfortably 4-0 up at half time only to draw 4-4, United to capitalise with win at Wolves? Only to lose their first game of the season, and Chelsea to be revived by Torres? Only for him to be sniffed out and Chelsea comprehensively picked off.
    This title race will go down to the wire.

• Advertisement

Only been on here a few months - but I gather it would be unwise to try and take your Pessimists crown from you - you're not going to just hand it over to me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Chin up gents, we came up against a very well organised defence, had our main striker playing out in a wide position, tried to introduce Torres to the fold in the same game. Lamps isn't fully fit yet either. Sum of the small parts that were our downfall on the day.
    I think once we figure out how to accomodate Drogba/Torres (personally I'm thinking just one of them as a lone striker with Anelka supporting, and get Malouda bothering his ar$e again to offer us some width as we were soarly lacking it the last day) and I'm leaning towards the idea of starting/introducing Josh to the games more often until Lampard is fully fit. We need a bit more flair in that dept.
    On the same weekend, United lost to Wolves, Newcastle came back from a 4-0 hammering to earn themselves a point, its football, anything can happen.
    A good dose of training and tweaking and we won't be too bad.

papagormo wrote: »
    Chin up gents, we came up against a very well organised defence, had our main striker playing out in a wide position, tried to introduce Torres to the fold in the same game. Lamps isn't fully fit yet either. Sum of the small parts that were our downfall on the day.
    I think once we figure out how to accomodate Drogba/Torres (personally I'm thinking just one of them as a lone striker with Anelka supporting, and get Malouda bothering his ar$e again to offer us some width as we were soarly lacking it the last day) and I'm leaning towards the idea of starting/introducing Josh to the games more often until Lampard is fully fit. We need a bit more flair in that dept.
    On the same weekend, United lost to Wolves, Newcastle came back from a 4-0 hammering to earn themselves a point, its football, anything can happen.
    A good dose of training and tweaking and we won't be too bad.

After years of watching Chelsea p!ss away every league challenge, I've now developed this Goldfish mentality.
    Get all annoyed when they lose, but one lap of the bowl, and I'm back again all optimistic about the next game! :D

and never mind flair, Josh gives us a bit of energy, lamps and essien seem to lacking that. Hopefully Ramires will back as well, he's got urgency about him

Yeah I suppose Torres needs to have a few more matches to gel with the squad - I hope he does sooner rather then later.

Hopefully he can lash in a few against Fulham. It IS annoying though the way Chelsea fail to cash in on other teams slipping up, even last season
    or early this season we would f*ck up chances after other teams slipped up.

Remeber the 2-2 Man Utd home draw with West Brom ?

then Anelka hits the post and it finished 0-0 with Villa.
    Christ that day we were 5 pts clear and I was in a real bad mood cos
    I expected a 7 point cushion !! I wish we had a 7 pt LAG right now !!

funny how things change.

I would personally take the Champions League over the Premier League every year if ya offered me it and considering we should have an easy enough tie against Copenhagen we should all be cheeing the fact Torres can play in this competition too and get some sharpness, nobody would want to play in the other mickey mouse Europa league. ( now watch us finish 5th and play Europa League next year :D )

• Advertisement

I would personally take the Champions League over the Premier League every year if ya offered me it and considering we should have an easy enough tie against Copenhagen we should all be cheeing the fact Torres can play in this competition too and get some sharpness, nobody would want to play in the other mickey mouse Europa league. ( now watch us finish 5th and play Europa League next year :D )

Don't even say it !!!

This is a serious worry for us now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the problem is width, which i'm sure you'll know after the weekend.

playing 3 central strikers was retarded.

playing no Malouda, was retarded.

if he keeps to that system, i suspect you might have a lot of frustrating days.

SlickRic wrote: »
    the problem is width, which i'm sure you'll know after the weekend.

playing 3 central strikers was retarded.

playing no Malouda, was retarded.

if he keeps to that system, i suspect you might have a lot of frustrating days.

Our problem also is the fact Malouda hasn't carried any form since about September, and the other "natural" wide player, Kalou, is useless :pac:

But seriously Anelka can do a job alright, hes able to play from wide but comes in, he sint an out and out wide man.

We have in Cole and Bosingwa 2 naturally inclined wing backs that will bomb on but we cant rely on them. What we need is for Malouda to play in the left of centre from midfield and have him push out wide with Cole, it worked last year any time Malouda was played in the centre.

One of my gripes is in our formation sunday 4-1-2-1-2 it was Anelka who was in the hole, and that position is a real speciaility position, perfect for a Kaka, Zidane, Bergkamp, Zola type, Im not knocking Anelka, hes a fantastic player but hes not a playmaker in the classic definition of the word and with playing two similar players in Drogba and Torres we need a real quality player in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Or watch you finish 5th, win the Champions League, and take the last qualifying spot from the team that came 4th. :D

Now if Spurs were to come fourth this season, this is the scenario I would love to see unfold. :)

Kess73 wrote: »
    Or watch you finish 5th, win the Champions League, and take the last qualifying spot from the team that came 4th. :D

Now if Spurs were to come fourth this season, this is the scenario I would love to see unfold. :)
    Do a Liverpool you mean? I would hate that scenario - it was wrong then and it would be wrong again. But I suspect just like the rule was created to enable liverpool to qualify I think it would be scrapped if it were Chelsea who beneffitted. This may sound like paranoia - but this is what 40 years supporting Chelsea does to one!!
    anyway - for a couple of reasons - its not going to come to that!

Kess73 wrote: »

Ha I would love if we did it too Spuds to, be vert unfair but dya know what? Screw 'um. it would be funny if Liverpool finished 4th and we won the Champs League and finished 5th, oh that would be ironic.
    Do a Liverpool you mean? I would hate that scenario - it was wrong then and it would be wrong again. But I suspect just like the rule was created to enable liverpool to qualify I think it would be scrapped if it were Chelsea who beneffitted. This may sound like paranoia - but this is what 40 years supporting Chelsea does to one!!
    anyway - for a couple of reasons - its not going to come to that!

Thats just a tad paranoid, if we win the Champs League and finish below the top 4 we will have to defend it, just like Liverpool had the right to defend it when they finished outside the top 4.

2 Things

1) Didn't UEFA say in 2005 when Liverpool "won" it and were allowed to go through the qualification process that they would never allow it again - now what I took to be the meaning of this was that in future
    the winner (if finishing below 4th in their league) would not be able to defend their trophy and the top 4 would go in to the draw as normal.

2) PISSED me off on sunday, seemed Liverpool have gone back to the Houlier way, 11 men defending the ball as soon as they get the lead,
    hoof hoof hoof, all the red shirts in the box, I can see them playing this way for the rest of the season, frustrating teams, getting boring 0-0 draws (this was their aim on Sunday the goal was pure luck) and the fans loving it ..
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

To be fair to Liverpool they dont have the attacking flair they once had so they are playing to their strength's.

Wait until Carroll plays for them, then you will see the long ball system in effect.

Edit : The winners of the World Cup now have to qualify for the next tournament, its no longer a given right that you should be there but I agree and disagree with this in a few ways. If UEFA have said so then be it, its very rarely a team outisde of the qualifiying places will have just won the Champs League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

2) PISSED me off on sunday, seemed Liverpool have gone back to the Houlier way, 11 men defending the ball as soon as they get the lead,
    hoof hoof hoof, all the red shirts in the box, I can see them playing this way for the rest of the season, frustrating teams, getting boring 0-0 draws (this was their aim on Sunday the goal was pure luck) and the fans loving it ..
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

this is not the match thread, but just to correct you.

Chelsea created fúck all.

Liverpool had the chances; so we weren't the boring ones ;)

away to Chelsea, you'd expect us to play counter attack. it worked. Lucas owned your midfield, again, set a perfect platform in terms of counter attack, we then created more chances and scored a goal.

dry your eyes and concentrate on your own team's inadequacies, of which there seem to be a few.
    Wait until Carroll plays for them, then you will see the long ball system in effect.

Newcastle weren't long ball, so there's no evidence to suggest we'll be long ball when he plays.

Chelsea were playing a fair amount of long ball themselves at the weekend thank you very much.

away to Chelsea, you'd expect us to play counter attack. it worked. Lucas owned your midfield, again, set a perfect platform in terms of counter attack, we then created more chances and scored a goal.

dry your eyes and concentrate on your own team's inadequacies, of which there seem to be a few.

Newcastle weren't long ball, so there's no evidence to suggest we'll be long ball when he plays.

Chelsea were playing a fair amount of long ball themselves at the weekend thank you very much.

:eek: Reported :p:pac:

I agree with ya Slick, first person to agree that we were useless and Liverpool deserved to win. No complaints in that department.

We were very one dimensional at the weekend and my biggest criticism of the Chelsea team is that we can be one dimensional at times and its easy to play against.

Also, Newcastle werent a long ball team but with Carroll in your team or any big striker, Drogba, Crouch, Davies the option is always there and some teams rely on it too much, we sometimes play way too much long ball when we have perfectly capable midfielders and full backs to play it up instead of lumping it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Anyone watching Classic football on Setanta Ireland last night?
    It was us beating Utd. 5-0 at the bridge. Vialli manager. I'd forgotten about some of that team - players like Babayaro and Sutton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

bullpost wrote: »
    It was us beating Utd. 5-0 at the bridge. Vialli manager. I'd forgotten about some of that team - players like Babayaro and Sutton.

Yeah watched that last night, always makes me feel better.

Did Zola get 2 goals in that game? Vague memories of this game.

Ha Id take a 1-0 victory over them at the Bridge this season, I'd pratically hate for United to beat us this season.

Last season against the "top 4" we won every game, beat Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd home and away, thats 18 points, we then lost once to Spurs and twice to Man City.

So far we've beat and lost to Arsenal, lost twice to Liverpool, Drew with Spurs, Lost to City and yet to play Man Utd.

We are going to have to up it until the end of the season and put a good 5 + run of wins on the spin in the EPL and apart from 2 months at the start of the season we have not looked like doing that, I think before the 'Pool game I would have said thats it, the corner has been turned and we are going to beat Liverpool but after that game and more importantly the total lack of any decent performance Im not sure.

All my eggs are lumped in the Champs League and FA Cup basket, my honest opinion, unless every team above us f**k up then we wont win the league, the chances of 1 team messing up is good but 3? I dont see it unfortunatly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

No - think you might be thinking of Old Trafford when Hasselbaink played?

Goals were : Poyet 1, Sutton 16, Poyet 54, Berg 59 og, Morris 81.
    Did Zola get 2 goals in that game? Vague memories of this game.

Ha Id take a 1-0 victory over them at the Bridge this season, I'd pratically hate for United to beat us this season.

Last season against the "top 4" we won every game, beat Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd home and away, thats 18 points, we then lost once to Spurs and twice to Man City.

So far we've beat and lost to Arsenal, lost twice to Liverpool, Drew with Spurs, Lost to City and yet to play Man Utd.

We are going to have to up it until the end of the season and put a good 5 + run of wins on the spin in the EPL and apart from 2 months at the start of the season we have not looked like doing that, I think before the 'Pool game I would have said thats it, the corner has been turned and we are going to beat Liverpool but after that game and more importantly the total lack of any decent performance Im not sure.

All my eggs are lumped in the Champs League and FA Cup basket, my honest opinion, unless every team above us f**k up then we wont win the league, the chances of 1 team messing up is good but 3? I dont see it unfortunatly.

That was the worrying bit "Lucas owned your midfield". A player frequently berated by your own team, when we had Essien and Mikel, 2 players who would normally impose their will on the other team. Maybe Mikel was affected by getting a card so early in the game, but those 2 need to get their act together along with Lamps. I would say midfield is now our weakest position, something previously unheard of :eek:
    Still, barring internationals they have a week to sort it out.

I think the minimum target for Carlo this season is 4th place. Miss out on the champions league and Roman will probably give him the boot. I think its fair to say that all Romans football dreams and financial plans are based around the Champions League.
    He would probably accept the lack of a trophy if Carlo pleads "rebuilding".
    Thats why you normally get new players in the summer, so you have plenty of time to integrate them into the team, and as Carlo won 2 last year, you could say, he has "one in the bank".
    The other thing Roman demands is that we are challenging for trophies, which is still the case on 3 fronts.

Suddenly, away to Fulham and home to Everton take on a new importance.

Its a shame we play on Monday, after everyone else again, but I suppose it gives us a bit more time to work with Torres etc.

Love the line "dry your eyes and concentrate on your own team's inadequacies, of which there seem to be a few."
    Class!

Oh yeah, that was the one, when Morris started blowing a trumpet.

(Never to be heard of again, silly boy!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Anyone see that Rafa Honigstein says that Chelsea bid €42 million for Mario Gomez in January? Supposedly confirmed to him by the player and Bayern. He could be a top quality striker, but that's silly money.

/ Puts on anti-Chelsea supporters hat

Sure how would ye know any of them players, ye all started supporting Chelsea in 2003 when the $$$$$$$$$ came. Pffffttt no history, plastic fans :rolleyes:

:pac:

But in all seriousness, what about Gus Poyet, what a good player, always used to laugh at De Goey too, he just looked funny and his name sounded funny too.

Anyone see that Rafa Honigstein says that Chelsea bid €42 million for Mario Gomez in January? Supposedly confirmed to him by the player and Bayern. He could be a top quality striker, but that's silly money.

Any link?

Also, I dont rate him too highly, well not 42 million anyway. :eek:
    Hes a good player but that money is silly alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Hah! Theres a flash from the past!
    I remember that happening, I was so delighted I wrote the score,who scored them, the time they scored them all on the inside of one of my primary school copies!
    (Bet ya I still have that in the home house somewhere!)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement