Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11 (mod warning in post #7124)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

gavredking wrote: »
    Any link?

Also, I dont rate him too highly, well not 42 million anyway. :eek:
    Hes a good player but that money is silly alright.

From his twitter feed. It's also on the BBC sport website now, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

/ Puts on anti-Chelsea supporters hat

Sure how would ye know any of them players, ye all started supporting Chelsea in 2003 when the $$$$$$$$$ came. Pffffttt no history, plastic fans :rolleyes:

:pac:

But in all seriousness, what about Gus Poyet, what a good player, always used to laugh at De Goey too, he just looked funny and his name sounded funny too.

Yep Gus was amazing and De Goey wasnt a bad goalie either you know!

Managed to get Zola's and Desailly's autograph at some friendly against Northampton years ago now. Tried to get Bosnich's as well but he was an arse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

papagormo wrote: »
    Hah! Theres a flash from the past!
    I remember that happening, I was so delighted I wrote the score,who scored them, the time they scored them all on the inside of one of my primary school copies!
    (Bet ya I still have that in the home house somewhere!)

Those are the results ya just cant let any opposition fan forget, and what away to rememebr, write it down on your copy book :D
    From his twitter feed. It's also on the BBC sport website now, though.

Cool :cool:

I think he would be a good palyer in the EPL but that price is just a tad bit mad alright, and you'd be talking crazy weekly wages too.
    Yep Gus was amazing and De Goey wasnt a bad goalie either you know!

Managed to get Zola's and Desailly's autograph at some friendly against Northampton years ago now. Tried to get Bosnich's as well but he was an arse!

Great story :pac:

Desailly and Zola are up there as my 2 favourite players.

What about Dimitri Kharine (sp?) now there was an enigma of a keeper, brillant one minuteand useless the next. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I remember that happening, I was so delighted I wrote the score,who scored them, the time they scored them all on the inside of one of my primary school copies!

I actually did the same! Still have it. Butt S/O is the only thing on the United side. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

God that was a great moment.

I remember just thinking that, even though they'd had a relatively disappointing season, they were starting to really get their act together, while united looked less than convincing and had a few injuries. Something just told me they'd pull it out of the bag - I was in school, and the cocky united fans laughed me out of it, so I made a few bets :D.

Listening to it on the radio was just pure joy - you could picture Jody Morris and Wise bombing about the place wreaking havoc, better than I'd dared to dream. Then, the Monday morning after, the sniffiest utd fan was like "sure half our team was out injured". But bah, they had their first-choice strike force, defence, and also beckham in his pomp. United got pwned. At the time, I thought it was the start of great things, particularly for wee Jody - don't think he ever got better than that season.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

/ Puts on anti-Chelsea supporters hat

Sure how would ye know any of them players, ye all started supporting Chelsea in 2003 when the $$$$$$$$$ came. Pffffttt no history, plastic fans :rolleyes:

:pac:

But in all seriousness, what about Gus Poyet, what a good player, always used to laugh at De Goey too, he just looked funny and his name sounded funny too.

Never mind de goey , Dimitri Karine , spelling may be incorrect , I'm on my phone , but he was the main man ,

Remember watching a match on BBC and the commentator saying he has the agility and reflexes of a cat and then there was that head of hair on him !

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Never mind de goey , Dimitri Karine , spelling may be incorrect , I'm on my phone , but he was the main man ,

Remember watching a match on BBC and the commentator saying he has the agility and reflexes of a cat and then there was that head of hair on him !

Don't forget the socks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

bullpost wrote: »
    Anyone watching Classic football on Setanta Ireland last night?
    It was us beating Utd. 5-0 at the bridge. Vialli manager. I'd forgotten about some of that team - players like Babayaro and Sutton.

Babayaro !!!

This game was one of the 1st Chelsea United games I watched as a CFC supporter*.

*also my 1st and last team to support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Well you know what they say :

438AF2B43C44423C85D6AE7D3EE87411-0000315194-0002158926-00640L-D4A541A50DEE437588F8AB92D81D3CDA.jpg

the_monkey wrote: »
    Babayaro !!!

This game was one of the 1st Chelsea United games I watched as a CFC supporter*.

*also my 1st and last team to support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

The inconsistency with the team is not only down to the manager but the players must take the blame regardless of a diamond formation, our first 11 was well capable of beating pool's but player's are not performing Essien Lamps and Mikel especially as well as Drogba.
    I'd actually play Anelka off Torres and drop Drogs but it won't happen, players better buck up their ideas cause if they don't they will be out the door by end of the season.
    This season is becoming a nightmare and we must turn it around.

• Advertisement

Anyone see Torres playing for Spain tonight ? I saw about 5 mins and didn't see much of him - so don't know if he was decent or not .

Anyone see Torres playing for Spain tonight ? I saw about 5 mins and didn't see much of him - so don't know if he was decent or not .

He's saving it for Fulham! :D

Vicente del Bosque started with Villa and Pedro up front with Chelsea's new £50million signing Fernando Torres on the bench.

Torres replaced Villa 10 minutes into the second half but the former Liverpool striker made little impact, putting a header wide from Xabi Alonso's cross.

full review here
    http://www.espnstar.com/football/news/detail/item579130/Friendly:-Spain-1-0-Colombia/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Torres didn't have a great game but then again none of them did. A poor Spain performance overall.

Thursday Interview with Mr. Uni-brow himself, Jose Bosingwa.

A year out of the game is much to overcome but Jose Bosingwa believes he's now close to his best as he takes on a dual challenge of helping Chelsea up the table and increased competition for places...

Throughout the second part of last decade, Portuguese could be described as an unofficial second language at Chelsea.
    Although the use of English was required within the club, the arrival of players such as Ricardo Carvalho, Paulo Ferreira and Tiago, plus Jose Mourinho and his coaching team, had brought a western Iberian flavour to the club, with the Portuguese speakers added to by Hilario and Brazilians Alex and Juliano Belletti in the seasons that followed. Even when Mourinho and his staff left, Jose Bosingwa and Deco, plus loan signing Ricardo Quaresma were able to keep the numbers up.
    However come the beginning of pre-season last summer, Portuguese was becoming a small minority tongue once again with Ferreira remaining from the class of 2004/05, and Hilario and Alex still in place. Jose Bosingwa meanwhile was away from the main squad in the final stages of rehabilitation from a long-term knee injury.
    That wasn't to remain the case for long, as Chelsea shopped Brazilian once again, with two players heading our way from South America via the Portuguese capital of Lisbon. Ramires signed a few days before the transfer window closed in August and David Luiz even closer to the deadline last month.
    Jose was also back in action and was one of the people able to great the new arrivals readily. Neither arrived with English as a second language although Ramires has now acquired new vocabulary.

It was reminiscent of when Jose arrived at Chelsea as a new player in May 2008 and needed an interpreter for all his early interviews.
    Now, approaching three years later when he sits down to talk with Chelseafc.com his words are clear, precise and accurate English. His talking pace is steady and deep-pitched, with the occasional hint of the laugh that is an often-heard and famous feature of Cobham life.
    Today he travels back to Chelsea's training ground following trip to Switzerland with his fellow Portuguese internationals. He remained on the bench as they lost to a last-minute Lionel Messi penalty against the Spanish-speaking Argentineans.
    It was a rare experience in 2011 not to make the pitch. Jose has started the last six games for Chelsea at right-back but Carlo Ancelotti's team-sheet against Fulham on Monday night will be awaited with interest.
    When Luiz was given his debut in the closing stages of the Liverpool game it was Jose who made way with Branislav Ivanovic moving to right-back. Without question the new defender's arrival increases the pressure for places across the defence.
    Jose nods and smiles when the increased competition is mentioned, but makes it very clear that he is welcoming the purchase of Luiz from Benfica
    'Every time I can watch, I do watch the games in Portugal so I have seen David Luiz play many times, and he is a good player,' Jose reports.
    'I think he will do well for Chelsea and he will bring something different to the team. It is a good transfer for us. He is a fast player, and he is a strong player as well.
    'Ramires is also a good player and now he plays very well,' the 28-year-old continues.
    'He is still a new player for us and sometimes he has been playing on the right of the midfield. If he plays near me it is good because we speak in the same language and our communication is better. It is easy for him and for me because I can speak with him.'
    Jose was talking about his new colleagues prior to departing on international duty, his flight to Geneva coming at the end of a week of very mixed emotions. The defeat by Liverpool unfortunately dampened down a feel-good factor that had built with three straight league wins, including the impressive victory at Sunderland, plus during the night before, the signings of Luiz and Fernando Torres.
    'I was watching the end of the transfer window like everybody was,' Jose says. 'I was watching it on the internet in the hotel where we were staying and it was crazy, but good for us.'

Not long into the new year was a low point for Jose when his own-goal led to defeat at Wolves but until the Liverpool setback there was a clear improvement in the team that he puts down to increased 'pressing' of opposition players all over the pitch, and more ruthless finishing that culminated in the four-goal haul at the Stadium of Light.
    That game was the right-back's best display of 2011 and completed two days to savour on the journey back to London.
    'For me after an evening game like that it is difficult to sleep, the adrenalin is still in your body and you have rested in the day, but when you have won the game it is good, the travel is better and after you come home your mind is still calm. If you have lost you are thinking all about the game.'
    Jose's concern over how the club is doing as a whole extends to watching reserve matches, and Chelsea fans who filled the East Stand lower tier at the Bridge for the FA Youth Cup victory over Arsenal recently might have noticed several first-teamers in attendance, especially when one full-back was on his feet cheering Milan Lalkovic's late winner.

'The youth team's game against Arsenal was good,' he nods. 'It was a very competitive game and everybody played very well. It is an injustice if I say one player is good. I think the collective is most important.'
    Eleven months ago it was announced that Jose needed a second operation on his left knee, wiping out his chances of representing Portugal in the World Cup in South Africa. He had already been out since October 2009 and didn't return for Chelsea until 12 months later.
    'It was difficult when I came back to play because I'd lost my performance, I'd lost too many games and I needed time to come back to my best performance - but now I feel better. I think my body is stronger and in the games now I did well.
    'Every day after the training I go to the gym and for 40 to 45 minutes I do my exercises and if I am not 100 per cent now, I am near.

'At the end of last season I was happy because the team won two trophies but I was sad because I didn't help my team, I didn't play, I didn't do my job and it was difficult because of this.
    'Now I do what I love. Football is my life and I am happy now.'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/9393880.stm

Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic has signed a contract extension which is set to keep him at the club until 2016. The 26-year-old Serbia international moved to Stamford Bridge in January 2008 for an undisclosed fee.
    He has made 99 appearances for the Blues and was named in last season's PFA Premier League team of the year.
    "It is good news for me, it is a very big step for me in my career and I want to try to help Chelsea win a lot more trophies," he said.
    "These things take a little time but my first vision was always to stay with Chelsea.
    "There were not a lot of problems because I wanted to stay, the club wanted me to stay and I want to thank everyone who helped with the deal. I am very happy with that."
    During his three years at the club Ivanovic has won two FA Cups as well as last year's Premier League title, and has scored seven goals

Excellent news!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭superfrank

Great News :D

Hopefully he'll push out to Right Back & let Luiz in the center. Although I have to say Bosingwa has being fairly good the last few games!!

Hopefully we'll see more of Luiz against Fulham.

Good stuff, a good solid iron man just like JT and he's staying at the bridge.

Wow, who is that bird in the low cut blue top on SSN? I am liking the view very much! :D (She has lovely eyes!)

Oh its Charlotte Jackson - nice

Wow, who is that bird in the low cut blue top on SSN? I am liking the view very much! :D (She has lovely eyes!)

Oh its Charlotte Jackson - nice

Would You Smash Her?

• Advertisement

superfrank wrote: »
    Would You Smash Her?

No, but she could plug my microphone in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Delighted about ivanovic, beast of a player. I think he is best at right back imo.

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Delighted about ivanovic, beast of a player. I think he is best at right back imo.

Its quite a team!

Cech

Ivanovic
    Cole
    Terry
    Luiz

Lamps
    Essien
    Mikel

Torres
    Drogba
    Anelka

along with with Malouda, Bose, Josh, Alex, Ramires

I'd stack that team up against anybody, but its just getting them all playing properly again, and when you look at that team, you think, what the hells gone wrong? How the hell did we ever lose SEVEN games?
    And to Birmingham? To Wolves??
    We started 6-0, 0-6, 2-0, 1-3, 4-0 for christsakes!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Its quite a team!

Cech

Ivanovic
    Cole
    Terry
    Luiz

Lamps
    Essien
    Mikel

Torres
    Drogba
    Anelka

along with with Malouda, Bose, Josh, Alex, Ramires

I'd stack that team up against anybody, but its just getting them all playing properly again, and when you look at that team, you think, what the hells gone wrong? How the hell did we ever lose SEVEN games?
    And to Birmingham? To Wolves??
    We started 6-0, 0-6, 2-0, 1-3, 4-0 for christsakes!!!

No width tbh.

Well its grand when the full backs get forward and give you width but when teams stop cole and bossy playing we are screwed.

I don't Envy being Ancellotti and trying to play Nico, Torres and Drogba together :O... Hope Malouda gets a few games and hits form, Such an important player in winning the double!!

Connor Clifford has joined Nottingham Forest.

Connor Clifford has joined Nottingham Forest.

No Gonzo, its actually Notts County! :rolleyes:

Although I think its good for him getting regular competitive football, I thought he could of got a championship club, not a relegation battle in league 1 .

I'd Imagine he will go out on loan again next year to a championship side.

:o

flahavaj wrote: »
    No width tbh.

Width is vastly over-rated, just lump it up towards Drogba and let him flick it on / knock it down and we can build from there, by-pass midfield at every opportunity, its the only way :D:pac:

• Advertisement

Youth Cup 5th round on tonight on Chelsea TV, coverage starts at half 6. Home to Barnsley, if we come through it it's another home tie against Watford.

David Luiz will start on Monday.

Confirmation of the Clifford loan deal,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/notts_county/9394320.stm
    Notts County snap up Chelsea's Conor Clifford

Notts County have completed the loan signing of Chelsea midfielder Conor Clifford, reports BBC Radio Nottingham.

Clifford, 19, moves to Meadow Lane on a one-month deal but with an expectation by both Notts and Chelsea that it will be extended to the end of the season.

He was on loan at Plymouth earlier this term but the deal could not be extended because of their transfer embargo.

Clifford is in his third full season with Chelsea and was captain of the team that won the FA Youth Cup in 2010.

Clifford has won 21 international caps with the Republic of Ireland at Under-17, Under-18 and Under-21 level.

Notts also hope to complete the loan signings of two players with Championship clubs in the coming days.

Johner wrote: »
    David Luiz will start on Monday.

Yep, good news, but stil going to try 2 up front? Does that mean Anelka will be dropped or pushed out on the wing?

ANCELOTTI: LUIZ GETS THE NOD

Posted on: Fri 11 Feb 2011
    Having officially unveiled his new defender, Carlo Ancelotti has confirmed David Luiz will start at Fulham on Monday.
    The versatile defender made his debut against Liverpool last weekend as a late substitute, and after coming through Brazil's friendly against France on Wednesday night, will be in from the beginning at Craven Cottage, though Ancelotti admitted he was not yet sure where in the back four it would be.
    'He will start on Monday. I don't know, he has a lot of opportunity to play, he is a lucky player!' said the manager.
    'David Luiz is a very good defender because he has the ability and skills to play in all the positions in the back four, centre-back, left-back, he never played right-back but he has the quality to, he is Brazilian and so obviously has very good technique and he can help us to build our play better from the back.
    'I think he will be one of the best defenders in the world in the future. He is young but has fantastic experience, he played in Benfica and the Champions League.We are upset because he cannot play in the Champions League for us but he can show his quality in the Premier League and FA Cup.
    'With David Luiz we can have more rotation and maintain freshness in the other defenders. Now we have a lot of opportunity to choose players, give someone a rest and keep every defender fit for the rest of the season. When a good player with a lot of skills improves the squad everyone is happy, in the top teams there is competition to play, and this is normal and a good motivation for everyone.'
    Barring Alex, Ancelotti has a full complement of defenders to pick from, though he admits Jose Bosingwa could be a doubt for Monday's west London derby.
    'The players came back [from international duty] yesterday, everything is okay, just Bosingwa has a little problem but I hope he recovers for Monday's game,' Ancelotti said. 'The other players are in good condition, some players played 90 minutes but we have time to prepare the team for the Fulham game.
    'Alex is recovering, he is doing individual treatment, I don't know if he will be fit for the Champions League game but maybe when we play at home with Copenhagen he will be ready.'
    With a similar squad to pick from as that which was beaten by Liverpool last weekend, Ancelotti says he is likely to press on with the two-up-front formation that combined Fernando Torres and Didier Drogba for the first time.
    He believes the timing of Monday's game allows enough opportunity to practice with the new system.
    'We have to use the time that we have. Obviously we have to try, we will try this week because we have time and step by step we are trying to find the right solution to put them together,' he explained.
    'My aim as a coach is to try to find the better solution with the players we have in the squad. I think Drogba and Torres are fantastic strikers and we have to try everything to put them together to play.
    'There is not a sacrifice, if sometimes I choose one player or another, because in the future we will have very important games and I think rotation of the players will be very important. I want to use that in the next games because every game is very important. We have important aims to reach in the future and maybe sometimes some players need to rest to recover.
    'It is difficult to think we can come back to fight for the title. It is better to think game by game in the Premier League. It is difficult to close the gap, we have to be honest, but the most important step now is to reach fourth place in the table and we have to fight with the other teams.
    'Now we have to look forward and prepare well the next game against Fulham and maintain our confidence.'

Youths just went 2-1 up! :D 5 minutes to go.

McEachran scored the first and set up the second.

• Advertisement

Barnsley went 1-0 up after 15 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Chelsea game mentioned a few posts ago is now on Setanta Ireland. Zola and co. hockey Utd.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/9394443.stm

Ancellotti writes of title, although I agree with him, I don't think as a manager it is a smart thing to do, you would never get Fergie giving up with 13 games to go.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/9394443.stm

Ancellotti writes of title, although I agree with him, I don't think as a manager it is a smart thing to do, you would never get Fergie giving up with 13 games to go.

I disagree, I think we need to be realistic, title is well and truly gone and we need to realise we are in a fight for top 4.

Also delighted that luiz will start on monday, I would put ivanovic back to right back and hopefully ramires get a start in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Johner wrote: »
    McEachran scored the first and set up the second.

Is this bloke actually that good, heard he is great potential, anyone here see him play

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »
    Is this bloke actually that good, heard he is great potential, anyone here see him play

Yes he is that good. Has played a few games in the league, cup, and champions league. His composure and confidence on the ball is remarkable. His passing accuracy is second to none at the club. He really has it all and still only 17.

Yes he is that good. Has played a few games in the league, cup, and champions league. His composure and confidence on the ball is remarkable. His passing accuracy is second to none at the club. He really has it all and still only 17.

He is the best midfield passer we have at the club, better passer than lamps and essien, thats why he should play more, we have no one else like him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I see Jack Cork wants out , wants to make his loan deal to Burnly permanent because of the lack of opportunities at the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

See Wigan givin 'Pool more of a game than we did. Playing the better football of the 2 teams imo. Would dearly love a Wigan goal. Hope springs eternal.

MUSEIST wrote: »
    I disagree, I think we need to be realistic, title is well and truly gone and we need to realise we are in a fight for top 4.

Also delighted that luiz will start on monday, I would put ivanovic back to right back and hopefully ramires get a start in midfield.

I have to agree with Monkey. VERY annoyed that he would come out in public and say that. What sort of message does that send out, especially to players like Torres? "We've spent 50 mill so you can get us 4th place?"
    He should be saying, "we've spent 50 mill so you can bloody well score a lot of goals and win every game." Thats what he should expect.
    And I'd like to see some positive body language from him instead of forever shrugging his shoulders.

WE ARE CHELSEA and I bloody well expect better than 4th place!

Now get off your backsides, beat the cottagers and then beat Everton and STOP mucking about! :mad:

Mellis scores for Barnsley again.

See Wigan givin 'Pool more of a game than we did. Playing the better football of the 2 teams imo. Would dearly love a Wigan goal. Hope springs eternal.

And score they did!!

wow when Wigan can score against the Pool and we can't :(:(

anyway, good that city dropped points, we can push for 3rd now.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

And score they did!!

wow when Wigan can score against the Pool and we can't :(:(

anyway, good that city dropped points, we can push for 3rd now.
    And indeed score they did (even if offside!) - out played them as well for 75 mins - which makes our apparent lack of effort and quality really annoying. But ..... yeah - I'd take 3rd now, and an improvement in performance level. about this time last year we really kicked on - so here's hoping. FA Cup's a reasonable target as well of course!

Watching Leicester on SS2, Van Anholt is playing very well. Already delivered 2 great crosses for yakubu begging to be banged in.

Also Bruma on the bench, hopefully see him soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Just watched us get hammered 5-1 by Liverpool on Setanta in the 96-97 season.

Anelka scoring against United in the 02-03 season (for City) was a little better to watch

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement