Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11 (mod warning in post #7124)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

kryogen wrote: »
    you realize Essien is coming back from a serious injury you do?
    HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE? Its been 7 monts this season - I've had enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

MUSEIST wrote: »
    I know this may not be popular with chelsea fans but I think we could really do with benayoun right now, a link between midfield and attack.
    Benayoun might have been able to do enough of a job to keep Chelsea on the boil (or at least simmering) and in touch with MU. But fate removed him as an option for Ancelotti, so what could he or Chelsea really do when Abramovich was intent on whittling down the wage bill.

This season has been rank bad luck for Chelsea. But let's not forget that last season it looked for a while like no-one wanted to win the Premiership, and we only got in there by the skin of our teeth (thanks to a stupendous 100% record against the other top 4 teams).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Well done to cech for save also. The positive tonight is that the performance was decent but we need to get our strikers on form before the big copenhagen game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

5th would be a disaster. Financially

Not until RA pulls the plug tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

He has being incredible for Chelsea in the past though, surely you can cut him some slack, most of your players are underperforming why single him out

• Advertisement

Your entitled to your opinon mate

Happily take Essien at United if you can convince the powers that be at Chelsea that hes ****e

Also its the second game in a row we have been denied a clear penalty, bad luck indeed:mad: We need some luck in the upcoming games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

McDave wrote: »
    The entire focus is on getting the squad ready for the push to the CL final, avoiding injuries, and more or less doing the minimum to get a top 4 finish (two more points dropped at Fulham).

In retrospect, the Premiership challenge ended when key injuries caused the remainder of an aging squad to run out of steam after the blistering Autumn start.

We'll be looking especially to get Lampard and Essien back into top form. We have to ask the question now will Lampard, Terry and Drogba ever again be able to deliver seasons like they have in the past. You have to fear especially for Drogba who has imploded twice on the big stage. He won't get a look in in the closing stages of the CL if Torres is in form. Next May will see a major clear out, CL or no CL. The end of an era. Let's hope they can go out on a high.

But the future is very very bright.
    Luiz, Ramires, Danny, Josh, Van and yes even Torres!

And this what I posted in the match thread. 3rd and 4th still very much up for grabs

Long way to go yet.

2 out of 3 from Man City, Spuds and us for 3rd and 4th place.
    Could be Man City who drop out, they've played a game more than us and we still have to play them, and we still have to play spurs again.

Current position

Man City played 27 points 49
    Spurs played 26 points 47
    Chelsea played 26 points 45

we have better goal difference than any of them. Spurs the worst.

Come on lads, this is starting to look like the Pool thread what with the arguing and that! "eh, eh"?!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Essien is awesome, just hasn't been performing. Just needs a rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Problem if we do finish 5th players will leave not to mentio Carlo.

The beginning of the downfall of Chelsea, this time 5 years we will be battling relegation

accept it now lads, it will make it easier.

• Advertisement

Tbf he started the season on fire and was scoring goals, he has since gone off form but so has everyone else.

the_monkey wrote: »

The beginning of the downfall of Chelsea, this time 5 years we will be battling relegation

Get back in your cage monkey, its too late for you to be up:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Not until RA pulls the plug tbh

RA doesnt come into it any more with the new financial rules, max he can put in is £15m - the club needs to generate the rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Essien is genuine world class, his form has been poor but then so has most of the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Dude, seriously go for a health check. Football can't be good for your health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

But the future is very very bright.
    Luiz, Ramires, Danny, Josh, Van and yes even Torres!
    Don't get me wrong. I think Chelsea are in a transitional phase:

- Getting the wage bill down;
    - Blooding new players;
    - Buying a couple of stop gaps (e.g. Benayoun);
    - And, very importantly, evolving away from total JT/Lampard dominance.

With a bit more luck we would have at least 10 more points in the bag and no-one would be complaining. But things have slipped too far, and now we have a bit of a dogfight on our hands. Now that the Prem monkey is off our back, we can concentrate on 4th + CL final. But there's no doubt in my mind that May will see big changes. And (like yourself, no doubt) I expect for the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Bring it ON.
    The kids will deffo get a chance then and we'll be playing Leeds again! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

yeah at least tickets to games will be cheaper.

Also these new financial rules imposed by UEFA, I mean surely City, Barca, Real Madrid , united etc will be affected too ???
    Too many top teams will be excluded...

will we have a CL with Arsenal, Utrecht, HErtha Berlin ?? etc...

Lad, what is wrong with you?

Seriously?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I remember ALOT of negativity on the Pool thread a few short months ago - and rightly so - but seriously..... get a grip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Our next PL game might not be for nearly a month, Blackpool away on the 7th March. We need to set a target now of a 3rd place finish, winning the CL and winning our 3rd FA Cup in a row.Not too much to ask ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

yeah at least tickets to games will be cheaper.

Also these new financial rules imposed by UEFA, I mean surely City, Barca, Real Madrid , united etc will be affected too ???
    Too many top teams will be excluded...

will we have a CL with Arsenal, Utrecht, HErtha Berlin ?? etc...

yeh itll affect them all, therefore its an even playing field

i doubt anyone will actually end up being kicked out of europe, chances are they'll all abide by the rules for the most part

Cue somebody posting in the are 'abramovich/ancelotti/ john terry and chelsea done' thread.:rolleyes:

This HAS all the delusions of a LIVERPOOL forum..... essien is a Highlights package ... 3/4 games over 4 seasoons , Sorry - I've seen every game the guys played and you're all deluded. c'mon Utd.... how much will Fergie offer? Wenger? wont get our money back. He's has 2 serious injuries ... he's finished .... wish I was wrong - but I'VE NEVER seen a guuy cut so much slack. Start McEachran.... see what CREATIVITY BRINGS TO A MIDFIELD. Whats going on here ? does no one else see all the matches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I agree with this.

We were crying out for somebody capable of a simple pass tonight and that is not Essien (on current form). I'd be more than happy to see Ramires, Josh and Lampard start next time out. Ramires was just incredible tonight, too bad he was the only player apart from the obvious Luiz who performed for us.

Luiz...where do I start? Skinning strikers, midfielders, defenders, doing bicycle kicks like Rooney, defending like Cannavaro and passing like Zidane! :D I think tonight we saw a glimpse of what this guy is capable of he is a beast, I just can't wait to see him play again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Frustrating game again. Luiz excelled. Lampard/Essien/Anelka/Torres poor again. Fulham did "park the bus" for the majority of the game which didn't help but we are lacking serious creativity in the middle of the park. Torres needs a man behind him in the hole to play through balls, the long ball does not suit him at all

All in all, frustrating as I said. We have to find some sort of booster or we are gonna be in serious trouble.

Also, looking at the tags "not a big club" and "plastic supporters" **** off :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

This HAS all the delusions of a LIVERPOOL forum..... essien is a Highlights package ... 3/4 games over 4 seasoons , Sorry - I've seen every game the guys played and you're all deluded. c'mon Utd.... how much will Fergie offer? Wenger? wont get our money back. He's has 2 serious injuries ... he's finished .... wish I was wrong - but I'VE NEVER seen a guuy cut so much slack. Start McEachran.... see what CREATIVITY BRINGS TO A MIDFIELD. Whats going on here ? does no one else see all the matches?

Ye I watched most of our matches. I've seen Essien single handedly dominate games, drive our team forward, break up opposition attacks, burst through the centre of the pitch, slide a killer ball through, put one in the top corner.

He hasn't been at his best since he came back from injury. 2 horrific injuries. The guy has played in almost every game, no easing him back into the team, right back in at the deep end. He was on fire for the first 3 weeks returning, but his game has declined, passing wayful, to say the least. But to write him off, that's just ridiculous to say the least.

Beast of a player, summer rest will do him good, as Carlo won't drop him for Josh.

V9 wrote: »
    Also, looking at the tags "not a big club" and "plastic supporters" **** off :rolleyes:

Its funny how this phenomenon really took off when Torres decided to leave Liverpool and join us, I mean we always heard it every now and again but since then its non stop.

They're like a pathetic ex, ranting in the pub about the woman who left him while every one just looks on and cringes a bit for him.

I would sooner drop lamps than essien tbh. Lamps could not pass the ball tonight and gave it away almost as much as anelka. Torres is cup tied in the fa cup so I expect drogs to start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Essien wrote: »
    They're like a pathetic ex, ranting in the pub about the woman who left him while every one just looks on and cringes a bit for him.

Thats the polite way of putting it.

Ye I watched most of our matches. I've seen Essien single handedly dominate games, drive our team forward, break up opposition attacks, burst through the centre of the pitch, slide a killer ball through, put one in the top corner.

He hasn't been at his best since he came back from injury. 2 horrific injuries. The guy has played in almost every game, no easing him back into the team, right back in at the deep end. He was on fire for the first 3 weeks returning, but his game has declined, passing wayful, to say the least. But to write him off, that's just ridiculous to say the least.

Beast of a player, summer rest will do him good, as Carlo won't drop him for Josh.
    Gonzo .... I meant all of the games this season - not pre 2009. I know i'm on a loser here ..... just not seeing it. I'm retreating on this again - and consoling myself with Ramieres and Luiz and McEachran. I seem to be watching different matches. Never mind - we all have Chelsea at heart and its all about opinions! Just need a manager to see things my way. Jose was there....

Its funny how this phenomenon really took off when Torres decided to leave Liverpool and join us, I mean we always heard it every now and again but since then its non stop.

There are so called fans of other clubs that seem to be obsessed with us and spend more time thinking about chelsea than there own clubs. I also find this chelsea hate from liverpool fans bafflings, okay so they dislike us for signing 1 of there star players yet they signed newcastle and ajax's star players and thats some how ok, the hypocrosy. They think its one rule for them and another for everyone else. NEWSFLASH, The world does not revolve around liverpool, far from it.

V9 wrote: »
    Thats the polite way of putting it.

It's my favorite analogy to use with 'Pool fans in real life. It's kinda passive in an annoying way, yet still accurate and incredibly condescending. :)

and why do sky pay hoddle to talk ****e, seriously. And I cant belive coleman said that the formation does not suit torres, its precisely the same as liverpools of a few years back when he was at his best, you idiot, no wonder he was a ****e manager.

David Luiz reminds me of a slightly less insane and slightly less ugly Lucio :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

MUSEIST wrote: »
    There are so called fans of other clubs that seem to be obsessed with us and spend more time thinking about chelsea than there own clubs. I also find this chelsea hate from liverpool fans bafflings, okay so they dislike us for signing 1 of there star players yet they signed newcastle and ajax's star players and thats some how ok, the hypocrosy. They think its one rule for them and another for everyone else. NEWSFLASH, The world does not revolve around liverpool, far from it.

Maybe a small minority of immature fans are still talking about Torres but I haven't met any of them. For the rest of us, Torres is gone - we are over it. There is no hate, no ill will - it's Football ffs. The nature of being a Liverpool fan (or indeed a fan of anything) is your attention is set on that one thing, and depending on how enamoured, you will live, sleep, eat and breathe it.

I couldn't give a toss where Chelsea are in the League or what they are doing, why would I unless your a place ahead or a place behind us? (actually your 5th right now, 1 place ahead of Liverpool if I'm right) That's the way it should be. Same for you Chelsea fans. I honestly wish Torres the best of luck in his career but I am more excited now with Suarez and Carroll. I hope Torres finds his form again as he was so exciting to watch and I'm sure you do too, except to watch him in blue rather than red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Or you could say her new fella is a bit of a chav that's won the lotto and thats the only reason she's with him. He dresses rich, acts rich but really he's fooling no one and in fact most of the pub is laughing at him, especially as he's fallen on tough times lately, despite his throwing his cash at the problem in the most vulgar way possible......

Augmerson wrote: »
    Maybe a small minority of immature fans are still talking about Torres but I haven't met any of them. For the rest of us, Torres is gone - we are over it. There is no hate, no ill will - it's Football ffs. The nature of being a Liverpool fan (or indeed a fan of anything) is your attention is set on that one thing, and depending on how enamoured, you will live, sleep, eat and breathe it.

I couldn't give a toss where Chelsea are in the League or what they are doing, why would I unless your a place ahead or a place behind us? (actually your 5th right now, 1 place ahead of Liverpool if I'm right) That's the way it should be. Same for you Chelsea fans. I honestly wish Torres the best of luck in his career but I am more excited now with Suarez and Carroll. I hope Torres finds his form again as he was so exciting to watch and I'm sure you do too, except to watch him in blue rather than red.

I did'nt say all liverpool fans btw, most are grand. But just look at the tags for the evidence of the obsession some clearly have.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

nope thats an observation, based on lots of big talk and a refusal to put money where mouth is.
    Just cos someone doesn't put their money where their mouth is doesn't make their belief or post any less valid.
    If its what they believe they are quite entitled to it
    Just cos a few of you play the macho wager card and he refuses to take the bait doesn't change anything.
    There's no legal obligation to ''put your money where your mouth is''

Again what a load of Macho Bull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Where to start? Well if there was any doubt of where the league was going we can write off Stamford Bridge as its final destination.

3 points were a must and in the end we scrapped 1 point out off the game thanks to Cech after Dempsey's terrible penalty.

A few negatives, Essien and Lampard were very poor, passes not sticking and there general play was poor. Lamps had a half chance in the 1st half he should have hit the target. Torres looks off the pace but any Liverpool fan cpuld have told ya that before the move. Anelka look laboured and Malouda was average at best.

Luiz will be an absolute beast for the club, granted he wasnt playing against much this week as Fulham happily played for a draw but he showed on his first start that this league wont faze him, committed in the tackle and showed great pace and skill and vision.

On the positives, Ramires and David Luiz were outstanding. Drogba looked decent in his little cameo.

One thing that has failed us this year, a bit of luck. How many penalties is it now we should have got that got waved away? How the officials cant see a 6ft 5 defender come right through the back of Malouda is beyond me. Thats twice in 2 games its happened, same as Johnson against Liverpool.

Beat Everton at the weekend and beat Copenhagen next week and we will at least begin to get some what back on track.

We have Man Utd x2, City and Spurs left as our " big " games, thats 12 points, I think to finish 4th we are going to have to get at least 8 points from these games.

• Advertisement

gavredking wrote: »

We have Man Utd x2, City and Spurs left as our " big " games, thats 12 points, I think to finish 4th we are going to have to get at least 8 points from these games.
    My mistake and i do apologise. I misread your post. I missed City

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Well last night was very disappointing, we are really lacking a creative spark in the middle of the park ,

Essien and Lampard dont even seem to be able to the basics, a simple straightforward pass seems to be finding the opposition more so than a blue shirt.

Pair of them need to see the bench for a few games, Last night the game was crying out for a player of Joshs ability , with his vision and passing we could of easily taken the game.

My main bone of contention last night was Carlo , tactics were inept .

Ive said it last season , and again this season , but there is no plan B.

We needed to do something last night , a change of shape , a change of bloody anything but on no he went for the like for like subs which were a complete waste of time.

Ive been listing to rumblings of discontent with Carlo for the last while and although reluctant to fall in line with them, I am not starting to see the sense in doing so.

The players are way way way way too much in there comfort zone and Carlo just does not seem to be handeling , get in there and tear them a new one , make them want it , make them look proud to wear the Jersey .

I am solely putting our slump on Carlo's shoulders , without butch to steer the ship we are rudderless and it wont be long till Carlo is a man over board.

O and Monkey , its hard enough to watch our team doing badly , but coming in here to read the drivel that you have been posting makes me sick to the stomach , give it a bloody rest . At best your making a mockery out of us Chelsea fans to the rest of the football community on boards and at worst your constant ill informed rubbish that you keep spouting will keep genuine Chelsea FC fans away from posting in the thread , cause reading some of what you were positing last night made my blood boil, hence why I am only posting this morning , casue I would of been banned last night for what I would of said to you.

I still expect us to do better than 4th but somebody needs to get in there and have words with Carlo and get him to sort himself out , jesus even show a bit of passion for the game himself.

I still think Chelsea should be looking for minimum 10 points from those games. A few months ago Chelsea would have been looking to try and get 12 points from those games.
    I know Chelsea have hit a blip but still go back to one game at a time and you never know

amiable wrote: »
    I still think Chelsea should be looking for minimum 10 points from those games. A few months ago Chelsea would have been looking to try and get 12 points from those games.
    I know Chelsea have hit a blip but still go back to one game at a time and you never know

That was Chelsea last year, we dont have that form form last year where we would trun up and beat anybody, we still have the ability to do it, we just dont look as likely.

I think 8 is a minimum, 10 would be great 12 would be perfect. But we have to play Man Utd home and away, Id take 4 points, City away, they seem to be our boogey team, 1 point would be ok, Spurs at the Bridge, 3points, thats 8. But Id love to beat all these teams, on recent from it just doesnt look like happening though, time will tell.

gavredking wrote: »
    That was Chelsea last year, we dont have that form form last year where we would trun up and beat anybody, we still have the ability to do it, we just dont look as likely.

I think 8 is a minimum, 10 would be great 12 would be perfect. But we have to play Man Utd home and away, Id take 4 points, City away, they seem to be our boogey team, 1 point would be ok, Spurs at the Bridge, 3points, thats 8. But Id love to beat all these teams, on recent from it just doesnt look like happening though, time will tell.
    I agree with you but if Chelsea go back to one game at a time you never know they could end up with 12.
    It should be a stronger team than last season

Well last night was very disappointing, we are really lacking a creative spark in the middle of the park ,

Essien and Lampard dont even seem to be able to the basics, a simple straightforward pass seems to be finding the opposition more so than a blue shirt.

Pair of them need to see the bench for a few games, Last night the game was crying out for a player of Joshs ability , with his vision and passing we could of easily taken the game.

We needed to do something last night , a change of shape , a change of bloody anything but on no he went for the like for like subs which were a complete waste of time.

Ive been listing to rumblings of discontent with Carlo for the last while and although reluctant to fall in line with them, I am not starting to see the sense in doing so.

The players are way way way way too much in there comfort zone and Carlo just does not seem to be handeling , get in there and tear them a new one , make them want it , make them look proud to wear the Jersey .

I am solely putting our slump on Carlo's shoulders , without butch to steer the ship we are rudderless and it wont be long till Carlo is a man over board.

O and Monkey , its hard enough to watch our team doing badly , but coming in here to read the drivel that you have been posting makes me sick to the stomach , give it a bloody rest . At best your making a mockery out of us Chelsea fans to the rest of the football community on boards and at worst your constant ill informed rubbish that you keep spouting will keep genuine Chelsea FC fans away from posting in the thread , cause reading some of what you were positing last night made my blood boil, hence why I am only posting this morning , casue I would of been banned last night for what I would of said to you.

I still expect us to do better than 4th but somebody needs to get in there and have words with Carlo and get him to sort himself out , jesus even show a bit of passion for the game himself.

Agree with ya on so many things, one thing that saved us alst night was for every 1 pass we mis-placed Fulham gave away 3 or 4 times as many, they really were very poor and it saved us i think.

On the Plan B, i think we woul dhave been betetr served by having Ray Wilkins in the dug out, we keep haroing on about it but he is a football man, sees everything and could have given Carlo some good advice. I really feel Carlo will be gone in the summer though.

On the_money, i agree with ya pistolpet, it makes some cringy worthy reading and all I can do is asy the_monkey to put a lid on it, at times oyu look like a troll, I mean come on relegation? really? REALLY??

On Carlo's passion, hes just a laid back character but I think it was the Villa game when we went 3-2 up he looked well involved and into it and when Villa equalisied he could see that was the trend of the season.

We as a club have to buck up and start putting our weight about, if you told me at the start of this season we would struggle to make 4th I would have laughed my arse off at anyone but that is the reality now and we most make CL football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

I still worry that Carlo was fatally wounded by the Wilkins affair. I think there is every chance he has lost interest and is just counting down the days.
    It wouldn't surprise me if he is gone in the next fortnight as RA decides he's had enough.

Can i just play devil's advocate here on Ray Wilkins.
    If he was so good as a coach why was he not used by another club in the years before he joined Chelsea?
    I'm well aware he was a manager before.
    I've met the man several times and he is a really good bloke but is he really the reason Chelsea's form has dipped?

I agree with you but if Chelsea go back to one game at a time you never know they could end up with 12.
    It should be a stronger team than last season

! game at a time is the simplest way out of it but what we need is a string of good results and performances. we we're all purring over the new 4-1-2-1-2 against Sunderland and how Torres would come in and complete it, 2 games later we've failed to score.

We are not consistent enough this year and it will be our downfall, as a team we can be too one dimensional and I agree, we are a better team on paper then last year, more complete but we cant perform at teh moment.

Can i just play devil's advocate here on Ray Wilkins.
    If he was so good as a coach why was he not used by another club in the years before he joined Chelsea?
    I'm well aware he was a manager before.
    I've met the man several times and he is a really good bloke but is he really the reason Chelsea's form has dipped?

No, I argued this when he left. All the experts were saying "Oh it's your own fault, you sacked Wilkins". Rubbish! If he was that beneficial to any team as assistant manager he'd be sought after by every club in Europe.

I'm not saying it didn't have a negative impact but it just didn't have that much of an impact.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement