Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11 (mod warning in post #7124)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

MUSEIST wrote: »
    when were 5 points behind spuds at that stage. We are going to need to rebuild in the summer, new manager, lots of new players and try next year to go for the title and get ourselves back in the champions league

No we don't, great teams can't win it every year, unfortunately we are beginning a transitional phase and simply throwing money at the problem is a short term and above all unsustainable approach.

We need to build around what players we have who aren't rubbish/past their peak, like Torres, Luiz, Ramires, Cech, Ivan, Josh, Sturridge, Essien. A good manager could work with this squad and with 1 or 2 additions be challenging again.

Buying a heap of mercenaries and expecting a title every year is not the way to go.

Just to add to that.....

Cech (29)

Ivanovic (26) -- Alex (29) --Luiz (24) -- _______

Ramires (24) -- Essien (28) -- Josh (18) -- ________

Torres (27) -- Sturridge (21)

Thats how old those players will be at the beginning of next season and tbh, I don't think that's that bad. Never mind the formation or the 1 or 2 debatable exclusions, I think we have enough to be challenging again very soon without going and buying a whole new team.

With that team in the right state of mind we would be fine imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

I am losing faith in carlo, its the lack of motivation the players are showing that worries me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Frank Arnesen, anything positive to say about him lads?

Asked a Tottenham fan and he said ''ye're fooked''.

Unlucky today, those Everton lads sure like the late goals. Everytime I watch they seem to score in the last few minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Nico even after that shocking penalty, should for me start up front against Copenhagen, he is our only striker in form. I'd start with Malouda/Anelka/Kalou in the CL this week. Not sure whats up with Drog, is it the malaria or can is he just disinterested? Lamps is still feeling his way back as is Essien and the only way to get them back up to speed is by playing them. Our defence is the best in the league (somehow) and we haven't really conceded too many soft goals recently. Our play in the final 3rd has been abysmal though, a mixture of poor service with wasteful finishing. Pretty disheartened after today, but I'm glad we have the CL mid-week to take our mind off things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Frank Arnesen, anything positive to say about him lads?

Asked a Tottenham fan and he said ''ye're fooked''.

Unlucky today, those Everton lads sure like the late goals. Everytime I watch they seem to score in the last few minutes.

He brought in or brought through the likes of Van Aanholt, McEachran and Kakuta who for me will all be future starters so he's done a good job at bringing our academy up to a high level so I can't really say too much bad about him.

• Advertisement

I am not looking forward to copenhagen, I think we will struggle. They are a better side than many in the uk give them credit for. Hopefully we see the following team but carlo will refuse to change an ddeny there is any problem, bear in mind I think this team is ideal for an away fixture.

cech
    bos----ivan----terry----cole
    mikel
    ---ramires----essien
    -kalou----torres----zhirkov

^that team should get us a draw and is strong and physical in midfield with pace upfront to counter attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I stopped watching as soon as the ET was over, I wasn't going to subject myself to another penalty shoot out.

what pisses me off more then we lost is that I knew we would lose, I just wanted to be wrong for once.

The last team I saw win a penalty shoot out that I wanted to win was Ireland v Romania Italia '90 - FACT!

Apart from Chelsea, all other teams I watch in other tournaments if they reach a PSO they always lose.

So I have this jinx complex.

I just want this season over - it's outcome is **** no matter what,
    If we finish 4th Arsenal will most likely win the league, if United win the league we will finish 5th or lower.

shit either way.

I am beginning to think Carlo should go, his negative attitude, shrugging his shoulders - almost like he wants to get sacked by putting in a half arsed job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Who would you like to see replace Ancelotti, IF he was to leave/be sacked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Well, if we're agreed that the team is not really that old, we have only the champs league left and if we get knocked out of that then Ancelotti is for the chop.
    Who do we want to take over?

I'm all for a younger manager this time with a bit of spunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Fiskar wrote: »
    Well, if we're agreed that the team is not really that old, we have only the champs league left and if we get knocked out of that then Ancelotti is for the chop.
    Who do we want to take over?

I'm all for a younger manager this time with a bit of spunk.

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Paully D wrote: »

Brink back Gus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Coyle is flavour of the month at the moment and Didier Deschamps might be another good shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Does anyone think Drogba is having trouble at Chelsea given his last run of bad form coincided with similar problems at the club/with the manager?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Some decent performances today from chelsea imo. Essien was good, Ramires, Terry, Iva, Anelka was ok too when he came on in ET, cech didnt have alot to do

Lampard was rubbish even though he scored, malouda terrible, drogba did more acting then he did play, kalou was useless aswell. Ferriera did ok, cant really criticise him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

At one stage it was quoted today that Lampards goal was Chelsea's 1st in 284 minutes of football :eek:

How has a team that looked sublime at the start of the season and in the Champions league in October now be easyto beat or hold to a draw?

Much as I hate saying it, if we get a bad result in Europe it will be the end for Carlo. Abhramovich is not a patient man and 5th place in the league will not do. Cannot remember the last time we were in such a position and with no silverware on the horizon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

What the hell is going on with Chelsea .
    You guys should be cruising it .

I'm afraid you have tried the change of management thing .. It's now time for a player / deadwood clear out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Oh anyone worried about Abromovich dining out of money need not worry Russian gov made him reveal his worth this week stands at 16 houses(one costing 57m) and £11 billion. As reported by the gaurdian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Oh anyone worried about Abromovich dining out of money need not worry Russian gov made him reveal his worth this week stands at 16 houses(one costing 57m) and £11 billion. As reported by the gaurdian.

He'll be grand until he falls out with Putin, then he'll end up like that other Oligarch, in a gulag

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

nuxxx wrote: »
    Some decent performances today from chelsea imo. Essien was good, Ramires, Terry, Iva, Anelka was ok too when he came on in ET, cech didnt have alot to do

Lampard was rubbish even though he scored, malouda terrible, drogba did more acting then he did play, kalou was useless aswell. Ferriera did ok, cant really criticise him
    Thought Kalou was actually alright today:confused:

Paully D wrote: »

We need a man who can change things, up morale in the dressing room,
    bring back players into form - it's happened before - we need Gus Hiddink.

• Advertisement

Actually really depressed tonight, really is hitting home that it is a very likely possibility that we wont finish top 4.

Christ , Torres will be gone in the summer ! , he wanted CL football !! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

the_monkey wrote: »
    Actually really depressed tonight, really is hitting home that it is a very likely possibility that we wont finish top 4.

Christ , Torres will be gone in the summer ! , he wanted CL football !! :eek:

He better do something about it then like score the odd goal or something. :D

I understand Ancelloti has said something similar - that he will only manage teams who are in the Champions League. It's up to you Carlo to make sure Chelsea are there next year

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Not bringing on Josh for Frank after 60mins today was criminal.

greendom wrote: »
    He better do something about it then like score the odd goal or something. :D

I understand Ancelloti has said something similar - that he will only manage teams who are in the Champions League. It's up to you Carlo to make sure Chelsea are there next year

That's it , it seems he wants Chelsea to finish 5th so he has an excuse to leave, he is throwing his toys out of the pram now ...

Echoes of Avram Grant tactics, worse!, at least Avram would have brought him on in the 89th minute.

any chance Mourinho might come back ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

the_monkey wrote: »
    any chance Mourinho might come back ?

To england yes. To chelsea no.

racso1975 wrote: »
    To england yes. To chelsea no.

Pity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

There's a lot of negative sentiment about Chelsea at the moment. And not without reason. Many useful players were shipped out over the summer, and not replaced. It didn't take long for Chelsea to run out of steam during the autumn. I'm personally at a loss as to why Wilkins was ejected when he was. However, overall Chelsea fans shouldn't lose sight of the fact that we were lucky to win the Premiership last year.

Now, considering the way it's panned out so far, if we had put all our efforts into winning the league this year, we might still be in with a shout. But Ancelotti knows there are weary legs out there and there's the aftermath of some unlucky injuries. He knows putting Chelsea under pressure all season would have seen key players run out of steam next April, and risk winning nothing.

I think Ancelotti is pacing a depleted squad and attempting to shape a team that can get to the CL final. And although I think things have taken a greater turn for the worse than anyone at Chelsea could have feared, our fixture list in May will be much more manageable now that we're out of the FA Cup and not pressing for the Premiership. I don't think everything is going exactly to plan, but don't rule out CL success and qualification for 2011-12 purely on the basis of current form. The truly important months are yet to come.

Of course, this theory bites the dust if Chelsea (and Ancelotti and a lot of others) go out to Copehagen. But that's not going to happen, is it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭The Davestator

My 2 cents - midfield and upfront terrible. Malouda has forgotten how to beat a player and just passes 5 yards backwards every time. Essien isn't injecting any pace into his game. Ramieres is still our worst player by a considerable distance although he has got slightly better- why is he in the team ahead of zhirkov and josh???

Still confident of finishing 3rd as others are too beatable

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Ramieres is still our worst player by a considerable distance although he has got slightly better

You really don't have a clue, do you. If you had watched any of our games in the last 6-8 weeks, it has been pretty obvious Ramires has been our best midfielder by quite some distance. He is the only midfielder that has showed pace and tenacity.

He is in the team ahead of Zhirkov, because A he was injured and B he plays on the right side.

McEachran has either played in a deeper role or in Lampards position.

Passing wise Lampard and Essien have hit the most amount of wayward passes in recent times.

Carlo made the wrong substitution yesterday, Mikel should have stayed on with McEachran replacing Lampard.

I don't know why you just come on here to rubbish Ramires, and that seems to be all you do.

A look back at the games against Fulham, and you can see Ramires again was head and shoulders above the rest of our midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Obaraten wrote: »
    Will have a very interesting summer with players in/out me thinks..time to rebuild and all just cant understand why the likes of McEachern isnt getting more starting games.what happened to blending youth with expierence?

I think that rebuilding will begin with the manager barring an unexpected Champions League win this season. Benitez a realistic option in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I've heard Chelsea are working on a couple of big names already for the summer.
    One of which in particular would be very interesting

amiable wrote: »

Spill the beans...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Spill the beans...
    I can't post the source so no point.
    The player in question is a target and nowhere near a done deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

ahh here Davestator, rameries got thrown into the deep end from the off. Thankfully for us,not alone did he float but he was well able to swim too. The proof was in the pud with the fulham game where he and luiz gave the rest of the team pretty much a lesson in how to play with a bit of urgency in our game which we have been sorely lacking of late.
    Quite possibly a bold early prediction im about to make here,but the future spine of our team may well centre around the likes of him,josh,ivanovic,luiz,torres and sturridge.

I can't post the source so no point.
    The player in question is a target and nowhere near a done deal

I'm not interested in the source. Just the name of the player, you've caught my interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

+1

The starting XI have been given more than enough chances to get their act together-persisting with the same players clearly isn't working. To me, there is very little in the way of 'management' going on-just a hope that we'll nick a goal. Injuries to Benayoun and and Zhirkov haven't helped, but not giving more playing time to the likes of Sturridge, McEachran and maybe even Kakuta has been a mistake. We now face Copenhagen with what will presumably be the bulk of our starting XI having played 120 minutes less than 3 days previously.

I wouldn't take the result against Copenhagen as a given and unless Utd. play really poorly, I can't see us winning-a dull goalless draw looks like the most likely result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Ugh, why even bother?

• Advertisement

I was critical of ramires at the start of the season but he has been our best midfielder for a while now, his job is not to be creative and thats where the likes of lamps and essien are failing.

Lads the horrific reality is that if carlo is sacked mid season that roman will probably appoint emenalo or arnesen as manager which does not bear speaking about imo.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    +1

The starting XI have been given more than enough chances to get their act together-persisting with the same players clearly isn't working. To me, there is very little in the way of 'management' going on-just a hope that we'll nick a goal. Injuries to Benayoun and and Zhirkov haven't helped, but not giving more playing time to the likes of Sturridge, McEachran and maybe even Kakuta has been a mistake. We now face Copenhagen with what will presumably be the bulk of our starting XI having played 120 minutes less than 3 days previously.

I wouldn't take the result against Copenhagen as a given and unless Utd. play really poorly, I can't see us winning-a dull goalless draw looks like the most likely result.

At least we will have luiz for the utd game, someone actually exciting and he's a defender.

I was critical of ramires at the start of the season but he has been our best midfielder for a while now, his job is not to be creative and thats where the likes of lamps and essien are failing.

Lads the horrific reality is that if carlo is sacked mid season that roman will probably appoint emenalo or arnesen as manager which does not bear speaking about imo.

Benitez is available?

Benitez is available?

No, just no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Benitez a realistic option in my opinion.

please god no :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I'm still so annoyed, I cant bring myself to post anything remotely objective

The minute I saw Anelka do his stupid 2 pace run up, I knew he would attempt a cocky one. (and screaming at the telly doenst work!) Thinks back to CL final.

Is he a big game player? I think not
    ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :mad:

No, just no.

Brilliant record in the Champions league, brought the best out of Torres. Premiership experience. Can you think of a better manager available right now?

Brilliant record in the Champions league, brought the best out of Torres. Premiership experience. Can you think of a better manager available right now?

Me, I'm avaliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

if and i say if carlo was to go in the summer, the most ideal situation would be to bring back guus,clarke and wilkins.
    Highly unlikely of course, but jaysus, imagine those three manning the chelsea ship next season.
    And while im dreaming, get a job for zola, director of flare football or something like that.
    Sparky hughes anyone?!:pac:

papagormo wrote: »
    if and i say if carlo was to go in the summer, the most ideal situation would be to bring back guus,clarke and wilkins.
    Highly unlikely of course, but jaysus, imagine those three manning the chelsea ship next season.
    And while im dreaming, get a job for zola, director of flare football or something like that.
    Sparky hughes anyone?!:pac:

I know your only joking about hughes, but I would honestly welcome him ahead of someone like benetez.

Your right Guus, clarkey and wilkins would be a dream team but w'ont happen because none of them are 'yes' men.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement