Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11 (mod warning in post #7124)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

blue-army wrote: »
    Would love to have Ranieri back!
    He signed 2 of our most important players of the last 10 years in Cech and Lamps.
    Ranieri and Zola as his assistant would be perfect.

Hmm I'm not sure I'd want Ranieri back. he is known as the tinker man for a reason, and his recent records have been poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

blue-army wrote: »
    Would love to have Ranieri back!
    He signed 2 of our most important players of the last 10 years in Cech and Lamps.
    Ranieri and Zola as his assistant would be perfect.

A bit like carlo he is a likeable man but tactically awful tbh. Remember the champions league semi final against monaco when his decisions where very weak and it probably cost us. Mourinhno return would be epic but will not happen I'm afraid.

I think the Copenhagen game is the managers last chance. A poor result and performance could see the end of him. I like him and thought he was excellent last season but he has failed to motivate this team this season and has come up with some baffling tactical decisions this season. Roman has to take some of the blame with the sacking of wilkins also.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

McDave wrote: »
    There's a lot of negative sentiment about Chelsea at the moment. And not without reason. Many useful players were shipped out over the summer, and not replaced. It didn't take long for Chelsea to run out of steam during the autumn. I'm personally at a loss as to why Wilkins was ejected when he was. However, overall Chelsea fans shouldn't lose sight of the fact that we were lucky to win the Premiership last year.

Now, considering the way it's panned out so far, if we had put all our efforts into winning the league this year, we might still be in with a shout. But Ancelotti knows there are weary legs out there and there's the aftermath of some unlucky injuries. He knows putting Chelsea under pressure all season would have seen key players run out of steam next April, and risk winning nothing.

I think Ancelotti is pacing a depleted squad and attempting to shape a team that can get to the CL final. And although I think things have taken a greater turn for the worse than anyone at Chelsea could have feared, our fixture list in May will be much more manageable now that we're out of the FA Cup and not pressing for the Premiership. I don't think everything is going exactly to plan, but don't rule out CL success and qualification for 2011-12 purely on the basis of current form. The truly important months are yet to come.

Of course, this theory bites the dust if Chelsea (and Ancelotti and a lot of others) go out to Copehagen. But that's not going to happen, is it!
    Missed this post yesterday and its one of the more interesting. I agree that we were lucky to win the league last year ... and indeed had a long period then when we were struggling too. This needed something close to a player revolt to sort out, and it is this coupled with Carlos previous record managing in Italy when he only won 1 league title that makes me wonder if he's the man for the job.
    This season - like you, I DO think the CL has been prioritised ( though maybe not by the likes of Ash, JT and Lamps) and that vibe has been evident since pre-season, I watch Chelsea TV ... and its the first season I've got the impression that 'this is the one' this year.
    I fail to see how the team can just turn it on and turn it off to suit ... but maybe Carlo has been targeting the next 3 months all along. I'd love if it came to pass .... but just think we look 'shot' of all confidence now and its gonna be a major uphill task. If Luiz was eligible this season, then that may have helped - but Torres is struggling in a team of strugglers at the moment. I'll sell the house (or whatever's necessary) to get to Wembley if it happens .... but god - its looking remote. Anyway - as long as its not the Gooners - we can wait another year!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Over an hour in the waiting room trying to get tickets for city game , bloody joke !

Missed this post yesterday and its one of the more interesting. I agree that we were lucky to win the league last year ... and indeed had a long period then when we were struggling too. This needed something close to a player revolt to sort out, and it is this coupled with Carlos previous record managing in Italy when he only won 1 league title that makes me wonder if he's the man for the job.
    This season - like you, I DO think the CL has been prioritised ( though maybe not by the likes of Ash, JT and Lamps) and that vibe has been evident since pre-season, I watch Chelsea TV ... and its the first season I've got the impression that 'this is the one' this year.
    I fail to see how the team can just turn it on and turn it off to suit ... but maybe Carlo has been targeting the next 3 months all along. I'd love if it came to pass .... but just think we look 'shot' of all confidence now and its gonna be a major uphill task. If Luiz was eligible this season, then that may have helped - but Torres is struggling in a team of strugglers at the moment. I'll sell the house (or whatever's necessary) to get to Wembley if it happens .... but god - its looking remote. Anyway - as long as its not the Gooners - we can wait another year!!

I completely disagree with this. We were the best team last season and even most utd fans would agree wit that. The problem was getting rid if ballack, CARVALHO, deco and belletti and NOT REPLACING these players last summer. If we has signed Torres, luiz and a quality midfieder as well as kept benayoun injury free last summer we would be in a much better position, no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Carlo has a tough fefw weeks ahead, if we dont do well against Copenahgen I can see Roman chopping Carlo, poor performance and or result will cost him his job, at the moment Carlo just seems lost, he doesnt have the answers and the players haven't responded or helped him either with their displays.

Tough few weeks and i hate saying it but id be happy to finish 4th at this stage :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

gavredking wrote: »
    Carlo has a tough fefw weeks ahead, if we dont do well against Copenahgen I can see Roman chopping Carlo, poor performance and or result will cost him his job, at the moment Carlo just seems lost, he doesnt have the answers and the players haven't responded or helped him either with their displays.

Tough few weeks and i hate saying it but id be happy to finish 4th at this stage :(
    Chelsea will get past Copenhagen i think but Carlo will still be under pressure if Chelsea do get knocked out in the next round.

amiable wrote: »
    Chelsea will get past Copenhagen i think but Carlo will still be under pressure if Chelsea do get knocked out in the next round.

Chelsea should get past Copenhagen, stranger things have happened though.

I hope Roman doesnt chop Carlo, but in the same context I want Carlo to up his game and have a Plan B of sorts to turn games.

3 things that will save Carlo, IMO.

1) We win the Champs League, big ask but its very possible.

2) We win the league, right now I think we have a better chance in the CL.

3) We finish the season strongly and manage a 2nd/3rd finish while re-discovering early season form and performances.

I dont think the writing is on the wall just yet but depending on results against Copenhage and, Man Utd in the next few weeks he could well be gone before the season is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Chelsea should get past Copenhagen, stranger things have happened though.

I hope Roman doesnt chop Carlo, but in the same context I want Carlo to up his game and have a Plan B of sorts to turn games.

3 things that will save Carlo, IMO.

1) We win the Champs League, big ask but its very possible.

2) We win the league, right now I think we have a better chance in the CL.

3) We finish the season strongly and manage a 2nd/3rd finish while re-discovering early season form and performances.

I dont think the writing is on the wall just yet but depending on results against Copenhage and, Man Utd in the next few weeks he could well be gone before the season is over.

I think we are all missing the big picture amidst all this doom and gloom, and that is, never mind Carlo, but Roman aint going anywhere!
    Spending 70 mill bodes well for the future, and ok, you can right off this season, but next season we will be competing on all fronts with a younger, fresher and fitter new squad

Yes it is frustrating this season, but we all know we have to rebuild, and we have the owner to do it.

Carlo needs to get a top four finish..end of!
    And not lose to Copenhagen, and then I think Roman would accept that.
    If he actually wins the damn thing, then great! But I dont think he will be sacked for NOT winning it

Just my personal opinion!

• Advertisement

I think we are all missing the big picture amidst all this doom and gloom, and that is, never mind Carlo, but Roman aint going anywhere!
    Spending 70 mill bodes well for the future, and ok, you can right off this season, but next season we will be competing on all fronts with a younger, fresher and fitter new squad

Yes it is frustrating this season, but we all know we have to rebuild, and we have the owner to do it.

Carlo needs to get a top four finish..end of!
    And not lose to Copenhagen, and then I think Roman would accept that.
    If he actually wins the damn thing, then great! But I dont think he will be sacked for NOT winning it

Just my personal opinion!
    I think if Chelsea get knocked out in the next round(after Copenhagen) and Chelsea finish fourth with what should be a stronger squad than last seasons double winning team Roman quite possible will be considering changing manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I think if Chelsea get knocked out in the next round(after Copenhagen) and Chelsea finish fourth with what should be a stronger squad than last seasons double winning team Roman quite possible will be considering changing manager.

Even if we make it to the CL final and lose Carlo could still go,
    remember Avram, 2 pts and a penalty kick away from winning
    the BEST double there is and still sacked.

the_monkey wrote: »

to be fair to Avram, he has some of the best stats of any Chelsea manager but he was never going to be RA 1st choice, he was a stop gap and I think he knew it, he had very little pressure and nearly pulled off an a great double, a double we lost to Man Utd :(

I'll never forget that CL night, still hurts tot alk about it really. I think we will get our bit of luck though and win it in the next 5 years.

the_monkey wrote: »
    I think Seeing as Carlo won the double last season he'll get a break if he makes the Champions league final and has a strong run in the league

I think Seeing as Carlo won the double last season he'll get a break if he makes the Champions league final and has a strong run in the league

My point exactly, I think Roman learned from axing Jose so quickly that a top drawer manager is ahrd to just find so getting rid of Carlo leaves more questions then answers IMO, who would replace him if he got the chop today thats available?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭superfrank

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi4JBx4xmDo

Malouda got a haircut, Maybe he'll hit form..fresh look and all that:p

Confirmed: Torres, Anelka, Essien & Bosingwa all start tomorrow

superfrank wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi4JBx4xmDo

Malouda got a haircut, Maybe he'll hit form..fresh look and all that:p

Confirmed: Torres, Anelka, Essien & Bosingwa all start tomorrow

I love Anelka, but seriously its time to start dropping some players, Essien too.

Carlo can only be judged on the decisions he makes and I would rather him risk something and drop a big palyer then too leave a big player under performing in the side.

Not trying to jump on the sack Carlo bandwagon, I think hes a top class coach but he has to change something, the season is fast running out of games taht he can get away without winning, its coming down to win at all costs stage of the season adn we dont look like doing it at the moment.

the players have to shoulder alot of this blame too, dont get me wrong, at the end of the day we have a very experienced squad who cant seem to pull it together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

No prob with Anelka starting, if it was me I'd start him on his own up front.

Hopefully maloudas new haircut inspires some good form, clutching at straws I know:rolleyes:. I think its right to start torres ahead of drogs, drogba let me down with his childish antics in the first half against everton, I don't think I will ever view him the same way again after that.

So the team is looking like

Cech
    Bosingwa
    ivanovic
    terry----cole---
    Essien

Ramires
    Lampard
    ---Anelka
    Torres
    Malouda-

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »
    No prob with Anelka starting, if it was me I'd start him on his own up front.

I'd give Kalou ago at this stage, at the moment none of our strikers are playing well, apart from Danny at Bolton :( So thats Drogab out of sorts, Torres hasnt been given time yet and Anelka is so hot and cold its not funny.

Gonna be hard for Carlo to decide what to pick.
    MUSEIST wrote: »
    Hopefully maloudas new haircut inspires some good form, clutching at straws I know:rolleyes:. I think its right to start torres ahead of drogs, drogba let me down with his childish antics in the first half against everton, I don't think I will ever view him the same way again after that.

So the team is looking like

Cech
    Bosingwa
    ivanovic
    terry----cole---
    Essien

Ramires
    Lampard
    ---Anelka
    Torres
    Malouda-

Id swap Kalou for Anelka and give us genuine width then with Malouda and Kalou, maybe drop Mikel in there too to shake it up a bit but taht wont happen as niether Lamps or Essiesn will be dropped and Mikel isnt as effective going forward as either.

hopefully the penny is dropping with Carlo to pick a team to win, rather than trying to keep everyone happy. there are signs that he has realized this

Its confirmed Torres is starting, brillant, get him more game time, now for the love of all sweet holy jesus on a cross let him complete 90 minutes, once hes fit of course, it will help him and the team.

I dont want to see Torres come off tomorrow night, unless he has a broken leg, Drogab if dropped, needs to realise its not all about him and hes not a good like savouir of the team to come off the bench if Torres isnt playing well, we need every player from now until the end of the season to be on top of their game, 100 % committed.

Cant wait for Ramires 2mrw night, it only seems like people we're saying he was going to be another Lucas, pfffft he has turned it around in the last few weeks and hes now showing his potential.

I'll never forget that CL night, still hurts tot alk about it really.

Sob, me too! :(, and worse too to the Mancs!

Looks like Carlo's NOT off to Roma anyway, they have appointed a new coach alreasy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/9403595.stm

Tomas Kalas playing tonight for the reserves against Villa

Currently 1-1 between the reserves and Villa. Chalobah got the equaliser

• Advertisement

Tomas Kalas playing tonight for the reserves against Villa

Been looking forward to seeing this guy for a while.

Gokhan Tore sent off, after being our best player for the majority of the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

This is VERY off topic but, it still hurts/is weird to see yous lot talking about Torres in your team :o (LFC fan)

/sorry just had to say that :D

MGMTea wrote: »
    This is VERY off topic but, it still hurts/is weird to see yous lot talking about Torres in your team :o (LFC fan)

Still weird for me too. Hopefully he can put in a huge performance tomorrow night and lead us on a Champions League run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

What about Yossi?!:eek:
    And we still shed a tear every time Joe gets a mention over in the Pool thread...cough*:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

Still weird for me too. Hopefully he can put in a huge performance tomorrow night and lead us on a Champions League run.

aye, good luck to yes anyways :)

papagormo wrote: »
    What about Yossi?!:eek:
    And we still shed a tear every time Joe gets a mention over in the Pool thread...cough*:pac:

Haha Joe who? Ye Benny showed great promise in the few matches he played. I fear he may be brushed aside in the clean out in the Summer. I believe he would be the answer to many of our current problems.

Haha Joe who? Ye Benny showed great promise in the few matches he played. I fear he may be brushed aside in the clean out in the Summer. I believe he would be the answer to many of our current problems.

Yeah deffo, Yossi would have played a vital part in the past few months for us, especially when Lamps was out. Such a pity he got injured when he did (Yossi) hard to know if he will be part of next seasons plans.

I reckon he'll definitely feature at some point, Torres had a great parntership with him at Anfield.

2-2 Phillip equalises

Full-time 2-2, decent game.

MGMTea wrote: »

Are you being "ironic"?

So you're missing a player who cost 50 mil and who hasnt scored a goal yet or even lasted 70 minutes, let alone 90, and who has disrupted the team that much that we went from scoring 10 goals in 3 games, to NOT scoring at all in over 3 full 90 min games??????

I can see how you would be upset!

Oh and even more ironic is how Newcastle fans are still crying over a player that you paid 35 mil for, hasnt played for you yet, and that they have scored 6 goals in 4 games, including coming back from 0-4 down without him!

Sorry, most be the Monkey affecting me!

Jaysus...didn't see that one coming Sgt!:pac::pac:

I don't think Torres can be blamed for our form in fairness.

I don't think Torres can be blamed for our form in fairness.

I blame Chris Sutton personally.
    He ruined everything!

• Advertisement

Anyone else nervous about tomorrow, I have very little confidence in this team at the moment. We need a really good performance to kick start things. Hopefully torres actually gets 90mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

I fail to see how the team can just turn it on and turn it off to suit
    This is the biggest problem we might face. What does it take to get back in the saddle? A win in Copenhagen followed by three points against MU? I'd say. It's the little things that count. Taking points off MU is good for our 4th place quest, and it puts them back under real pressure from Arsenal.

They will attack us, our defence will have one or two blunders forcing us fans to start praying, but the defence will regain possession somehow, boot it down the centre, nothing too inventive will happen there, it will get passed out to an advancing fullback, ball will get crossed in, over hit, so near to Torres getting on the end of it, maybe next time.
    Repeat above god knows how many times.
    Thats how I'm calling it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I think we will draw tomorrow, 1-1.

Carlo better have the balls to ring the changes, for his own sake.

papagormo wrote: »
    I blame Chris Sutton personally.
    He ruined everything!

Naaaaaaa,
    (All together now)
    "We all live in a Robert Fleck World, a Robert Fleck world!"

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭superfrank

Hopefully Torres can get a goal or two. tomorrow just for confidence going into the Utd Match. Maybe thats the perfect match for torres to get back on form.

He usually makes bits of Vidic. Also looking forward to seeing Luiz play against Rooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

Copenhagen are a decent side, this game will be tough.

When we stop trying to play 7 attacking players with a defensive mid, 2 centre halves and a keeper we will be ok. Until then it is topsy turvy for the forseeable future.

I dont think we will have much to worry about tingiht lads, once we take a lead back to The Bridge we will be sorted.

I think we are going to go win 2-0 anyway, Copenhagen haven't played a competitive game in weeks, although in saying that they could very easily park the bus and stiffle us going forward and hit us on the counter, seems to be the best way to beat us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

They will play 5 in midfield which could well stifle the all to easy to stiflr these days essien and lampard.

They are a good shout at 5to1 at home unfortunately :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement