Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Grass>>> All Clover??

Options
  • 01-07-2010 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Haven't posted on this forum before, but I really need some advice.

I have waited five long, long, long years to get my garden into the starting lineup, finally, it is tilled, rotavated, rolled, and has seed in it.

But now, there is just heaps and heaps, and dare I say heaps of Clover growing in it. In two sections where the ground is under the cover of big trees, the grass seems to be coming in strong enough, but with some clover.
    However in the wide open areas, there is just masses of the stuff, with no little waving strands of grass at all.
    The seed is down now about two weeks, so I don't know if I am just panicking too soon.

Many thanks

Bella
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

I had nothing but weeds which seemed to pop up before the grass seed got established. I just keep cutting it very regularly to keep it good and tight and it looks quite well now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bellapip

Thanks Skywalker,

I am like the loon from the moon at this stage I swear I am only short of measuring the few strands that are there, I never thought I would get so obsessed with GRASS!!!

Thanks for the info, .

Bella
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Verdone should sort out your clover. You may need more than one application and have some grass seed handy in case you end up with empty patches of grass. Do it ASAP so as you have enough time to sow fresh grass seed if it is required.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is clover such a big deal? you can mow it like grass, and it's self fertilising. and less hassle than grass, a quick google tells me.

Hi Crosstownk,

It would be a massive job, there is over 2.5 acres, a lot of it is just meadow grass, but there is a 'Lawn' area as such, but I would be terrified of making a haymes of it with weed killer, and the poor piggy bank is smashed to bits so there are no more funds to call Mr Grass seed back again... Thanks for the advice though.:D

Magicbastarder,

I don't have a huge issue with Clover, one of my kids used to pet the bees on it in a previous house so I know it is blendable. To be honest my concern was the amount of clover versus 24 blades of grass.
    I am becoming calmer now that no one has screamed 'Jump off the country' yet!.

Thanks. Bella.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

bellapip wrote: »
    Hi Crosstownk,

It would be a massive job, there is over 2.5 acres, a lot of it is just meadow grass

This is why I wasnt too worried about my weeds. I have a big area too (not that big) so as long as its green and short and looks like a lawn from afar... it will do me :) and I dont hear the dog complaining either ! :)

Skywalker,

I have three dogs, two little, One big, they think it is a game of spot the blade of grass and all run at it at the same moment, I see their fun, even while I am screaming noooooooooooooooooooooo.

It will get there in its own time.

Bella:D

Advertisement