Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yorkshire Terrier

Options
  • 01-07-2010 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭

Hey so i have a 7 week yorke and hes always hungry.talked to the vet and he showed me dry food and you give around 55 grams of it per day. so the dog is always starving. we tried giving him a bit more but then he got sick but what hes doing now is eating his own crap after he does it...

does that mean anything or how to stop it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Bookkeeper09

My dog (8 months) sometimes does this...used to do it a lot more but is growing out of it.
    Someone recommended giving her pineapple...as dogs are supposed to like it but not like eating it the 2nd time round!...Didnt have much success with this!
    We said it to our Vet and they said that there was something they could order in for us to deter her from eating her poo.(not sure if it was tablets/drops). We havent actually gotten it.
    Basically we've found the easiest thing is to clean it up before the dog gets a chance to recycle it!
    With our dog it wasnt out of hunger she was eating it...she could have a bowl of food beside her but still go for the poo!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

How many times a day are you feeding the puppy? I've heard that at that age they're best with 4/5 small meals rather than one big one.

As for always hungry, well my dogs are always ready to eat even if they've just had dinner. Some dogs are just like that and will eat until they burst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

My Springer always appears hungry!!! He is forever trying to get food and gets soooo excited at breakfast and dinner time, whereas my Jack Russel loves her food but doesn't appear half as hungry. I spoke to a dog nutrionist about it and she said it's perfectly normal, some dogs just don't understand that they will never be left starving :)
    It is not something that you need to worry about.

The poo eating on the other hand does need to stop. I have seen some stuff in the pet shop that you can put in their food to make it unpalatable to them and you need to make sure when they are out (when he is old enough and had vacs etc) that if you ever catch him eating someone elses poo you immediately correct them. They will usually grow out of it.

Good luck with him, puppies are brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

I have a 14 week old Yorkie and she would eat everything she got her paws on! I think she is just greedy. She leaps on anything that falls on the floor.

I am concerned that your puppy is 7 weeks old and away from it's mother already... how old was he when you got him? They really should be with mother until 8 weeks at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

feeding him 3/4 times a day of dry biscuit dog food...might get a bone sometimes too :)

mmm well i had a french bulldog before and it used to do the same...the only difference it wouldnt eat dog one just human one found around bushes or something :S

i just kinda wanna know like is he eating it cause hes hungry or dumb or for the need of other food.

Thanks for the replies btw :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

You shouldn't be feeding bones to a puppy that is still teething, it could easily break his teeth. My 9 wk old Westie has no interest in the little nylabones specifically for young puppies, but she has great fun destroying carrots :D Helps to avoid chewing everything else in the house and might distract your from trying to eat everything. Remember it is perfectly normal for a puppy to want to chew because of teething, it may not be because he's actually hungry.

You shouldn't be feeding bones to a puppy that is still teething, it could easily break his teeth. My 9 wk old Westie has no interest in the little nylabones specifically for young puppies, but she has great fun destroying carrots :D Helps to avoid chewing everything else in the house and might distract your from trying to eat everything. Remember it is perfectly normal for a puppy to want to chew because of teething, it may not be because he's actually hungry.

dont let him chew the whole bone just the soft ends of it :) and then for his disappointment i take it away lol ill try giving him a carrot lol :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

When was he last wormed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Cripes.

All puppies eat their own poo this is normal, feeding a small amount of pineapple (tinned is fine) will solve that.

Do not feed your pup more, feed your pup the measured amount 4 times a day, all puppies are constantly hungry and greedy, they don't know when to stop.

Using puppy kongs and puppy safe toys would be better than bones at that age.

Just clean up the poo the minute he does it but the pineapple will work.

ISDW wrote: »
    When was he last wormed?

mmm not too long ago...
    Cripes.

All puppies eat their own poo this is normal, feeding a small amount of pineapple (tinned is fine) will solve that.

Do not feed your pup more, feed your pup the measured amount 4 times a day, all puppies are constantly hungry and greedy, they don't know when to stop.

Using puppy kongs and puppy safe toys would be better than bones at that age.

Just clean up the poo the minute he does it but the pineapple will work.

yeah well i do clean it up straight away if he doesnt eat it straight away before i notice lol...

• Advertisement
Advertisement