Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Impreza 1.6 - Engine advice needed.

Options
  • 01-07-2010 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi all,

I recently became the somewhat proud owner of my first Subaru Impreza ('99). Although it's only a 1.6 (damn insurance gangsters) I love it as much as any WRX. It looks the part, full WRX interior and exterior, except for the badges (thank God - Sorry, I don't like to call it a replica)

I say somewhat proud owner because I picked it up for a VERY VERY low price as it has 170,000 miles on the clock :(. Although the mileage is high it has been well looked after with a new timing belt, water pump, clutch etc... around 10,000 miles ago. I want to have all ship shape for when it hits the road and I'm trying to decide what direction I should go in with the engine.

I could have the engine rebuilt, where and how much would it cost is the BIG question on this one?

I could buy a new (secondhand) engine, I found one from a '97 with 80,000 on the clock for only 200 euro. Still a bit high in the mileage stakes for me.

I'm open to suggestions on this one if anyone has any better ideas or suggestions as to what they'd do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I dont understand why you want to rebuild or replace the engine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭kingbrumak

I know with the mileage that's on it that it won't last forever and I'd rather deal with it sooner rather than later when I'm depending it on a daily basis. It will be my daily driver so I need it to be reliable without the worry of it dieing from day to day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

What is the link, I can't get on it in work because of the stupid proxy guard! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭v300

Get your current engine leakdown and compression tested by a decent mechanic with the equipment to do those exact tests. If she passes those tests within reason, then stick with her.

• Advertisement

Sound advice v300. Screwing around with the engine is an expense that I would prefer to avoid but it seemed unavoidable. Maybe I was just looking at this the wrong way. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Check out www.isdc.ie lads on there will give you any pointers

plus a few of the traders on the site have done engine rebuilds

and they'll be able to tell you what you could get done. Plus the engines

on the Subaru's are long wearing as long as there serviced and treated properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

@Muckie,

Your like an advertising machine for the isdc :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

draffodx wrote: »
    @Muckie,

Your like an advertising machine for the isdc :D:D

Sssssssh....i'm hoping to get sponsorship off them. :D

Ah once's i twig someone has a Subaru, they must be assimilated

into the Subaru Collective!!

its a like to a impreza with loads of engine mods for sale.

try putting s after the http..that shud bypass the proxy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

sfwcork wrote: »
    But...the OP got a 1.6 because of insurance, and for a decent price apparently. Why link to an awful looking and seriously overpriced STI?!

I was giving him an idea on what somebody else has done.Alot more that your post done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

sfwcork wrote: »
    I was giving him an idea on what somebody else has done.Alot more that your post done.
    Riiight, if you're reffering to the Bodykit, OP don't do it!

Doing an engine change just for the sake of it is a waste of money. As V300 said, get a compression test and if it all checks out get all the belts and fluids changed. Keep on top of your mantainance too as she does have quite a bit of milage. I've never heard of the 1.6 Subaru lump to be a bad engine though so it could be perfectly fine for another 100k miles if looked after right

Riiight, if you're reffering to the Bodykit, OP don't do it!

Doing an engine change just for the sake of it is a waste of money. As V300 said, get a compression test and if it all checks out get all the belts and fluids changed. Keep on top of your mantainance too as she does have quite a bit of milage. I've never heard of the 1.6 Subaru lump to be a bad engine though so it could be perfectly fine for another 100k miles if looked after right

Don't worry Graham, I have better taste than that ;)

Advertisement