Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a watch for Girlfriend

Options
  • 01-07-2010 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,
    My girlfriends 24th birthday is coming up and after a few 'subtle' hints I reckon she's looking for a watch...I'm absolutely clueless in this field and was hoping someone could help me?
    Can anyone recommend somewhere where I'd find one or a nice type?
    Looking to spend €200-€300...

Cheers for any info :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Tough question, is she is into fashion watches or something more plain/ classy? Personally I know little about the Guccis and DKNY type watches.
    Maurice Lacroix do a nice range of plain ladies quartz watches in around the €200-250 price range. Swiss made and well finished (I bought my wife one before).
    If you want to go for an automatic (no battery, movement is self winding from being worn) maybe a Longines or Tissot or even sportier - a Seiko Kinetic or Citizen Eco Drive. Basically get into town and have a look around.
    Plenty in that price range.
    The above make their watches from scratch and have unique and sometimes long histories that tto me mean more than a blingy fashion watch that will look out of date in a year or two.
    Also have a look at the vintage market, some mens watches from the 60s and 70s were frequently 36-39mm and wouldn't look too big on a ladies wrist.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

buck65 wrote: »
    Also have a look at the vintage market, some mens watches from the 60s and 70s were frequently 36-39mm and wouldn't look too big on a ladies wrist.
    all the way back to the 40/50's too. The earlier stuff tends to look more fashionable than the 60/70's stuff. The only caveat is that the vintage stuff will not be waterproof and if she's an active person, especially if she's used to a quartz they're more delicate. BUt all that said you can get an appreciating value and a good maker for the same price as a modern named quartz.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wayneski

Thanks for the info guys...She would be more into the D&G, DKNY type of watches, I'm looking to get her something thats not too bling or tacky though, just something simple. I'll check out the Maurice Lacroix one you've recommended, it's seems like the type I'm looking for, well from you description anyways :)

She's an active person so waterproof would be essential...

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Ladies quartz set me back about that much not sure what their sportier models are like though.

Advertisement