Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone ever heard of Mondial Scooters?

• 01-07-2010 12:58pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello.
    I'm looking to get into the scooter game. Cars are ridiculously expensive where I live and scooters are cheap. Mondial scooters seem the most popular with the basic 250cc model starting at €700 up to a luxury one at €1500. I would love to get one of these and go travelling around.

But I can't find anything online about these. Everytime I put in mondial I get something french. Has anyone heard of them? I would need to know that I can get parts in Ireland.

Lastly. I can probably figure out how to get a licence for this here where I'm living, but driving back to Ireland will be an issue. Is there any way I can get a provisional motorbike licence on one of my short trips home and then drive it from Rosslare to Cork and later do the test? I've been reading about licences but not sure still how it all works.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

For what it's worth, I think they're made in China (at that price point, you're almost guaranteed they are).

Added to that, they appear to be using the Mondial name (from the Italian manufacturer who went bust) without permission of any kind.

I'd stay well clear of them, why not look for a second hand scooter from a reputable brand?

Regarding the license, it depends - can you get a full one where you are (what country?), depending on where you are it might be valid here - but a learner permit won't cover you outside the country - so if you're driving it back through more than one country, you'll need a valid license of some sort. Again, depends on what country you'd be getting the license from, if you'd be getting a learners permit, if you have time to get a full one, and so on.

I suppose you could do the theory test on a visit here - you can book it online and take your pick of available dates from what I remember. You could arrange insurance easily enough, and then there's the VRT to pay. People bring in vehicles from abroad all the time, so that aspect should be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Even if you got a bike permit here, your banned from doing the test for six months after date of issue. If its another European country, it might be worth your while researching there first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

I'd hazard a guess it might not be Europe if the scooters are using the "Mondial" name - maybe South America / Asia?

I think they're branded something else here - some Internet digging suggests they might be Hartford in the UK.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Sorry I should have said. I'm living in Kosovo. I think the bikes came in from Turkey. I know I should probably get a better second hand one but I couldn't resist the thought of having something brand new for that price. I can never afford brand new stuff.

Kosovo isn't a recognised country in some places, but it is by Ireland. So maybe I could get a licence here and have it recognised in Ireland. Then I'd just have to skirt around the non-resognising countries, Bosnia and Serbia on the way home!

Advertisement