Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not living locally for Phd

Options
  • 01-07-2010 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Medievalist

Hi all,

I'm looking for some insight from those with experience of studying in a University while living a few hours drive away. For example, living in Dublin and travelling to Cork or Belfast. If the Phd is not structured, and I wouldn't be required to be there everyday, would it be feasible to stay living in Dublin? I have commitments here which mean I can't move away just yet.

Speaking to my potential supervisors in both schools, each think it's definitely doable. But I'm looking to hear about practical experience. Would it seperate me too much from the school and would I miss out too much on mixing with my fellow students? I want to get as much out of my Phd experience as possible, but can I realistically have the best of both worlds?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

i know a couple of people living in belfast and doing (arts) phds in dublin- they commute 2 or three times a week and it works out fine. the rent and living costs work out cheaper and the train is very cheap, plus it's only 2 hour's journey.

i wouldn't think cork would really be feasible though as the distance from dublin, coupled with the effort and price of transport would make it very difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Speaking to my potential supervisors in both schools, each think it's definitely doable. But I'm looking to hear about practical experience. Would it seperate me too much from the school and would I miss out too much on mixing with my fellow students? I want to get as much out of my Phd experience as possible, but can I realistically have the best of both worlds?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated! :)

PhD students don't mix with anyone anyway! Kidding...but...an accommodating supervisor really makes or breaks your plan and if they've given you the thumbs up there's no reason it can't work. It might not be the totally ideal situation, but if it's worth the effort for you it's doable no problem.

Keep in mind there'll be lots of conferences etc. it would be beneficial for you to be around for outside of any supervisor meetings.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭theredletter

I know a guy doing a PhD in Social Science in UCC but living in Dublin. I think that, generally, more conferences and the like happen in Dublin. I love living in Dublin because of that and the National Library. Up to you, but definitely give it a go for a semester!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Medievalist

Thank everyone :)

The train to Belfast is so convenient I think it's the best option. Would probably take me 2 hours to get across Dublin city anyway!

I'm glad to hear other people are surviving the commute...doesn't seem like such a crazy notion now. I suppose after a couple of months I'd settle into a routine and figure out how often I'd need to travel up and back. Staying in Dublin has its distinct advantages. Best of both worlds hopefully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

Thank everyone :)

The train to Belfast is so convenient I think it's the best option. Would probably take me 2 hours to get across Dublin city anyway!

I'm glad to hear other people are surviving the commute...doesn't seem like such a crazy notion now. I suppose after a couple of months I'd settle into a routine and figure out how often I'd need to travel up and back. Staying in Dublin has its distinct advantages. Best of both worlds hopefully!

plenty of people do it, even on a daily basis! if you need any other advice on it, just ask :)

• Advertisement

• I reckon it would be totally doable. I just did a taught MA and there were people commuting 70+ miles for that, and we had lectures every day. PhD students aren't really involved in the whole college 'thing' so I don't see why you'd need to live locally. It's a bit extreme, but my department has PhD students living as far away as Italy and Belgium, they just fly over every month or two to meet their supervisors. I presume they sorted out internet access and all that in their own countries, and they communicate with the staff via email and Skype when they can't make it face to face.

Advertisement