Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Thai people in Galway

Options
  • 01-07-2010 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just wandering if Galway has any Thai community in existence where the local Thai meet up for a chat etc.
    The missus is from South East Asia and speaks fluent Thai,she is interested to meet some Thai people staying here as well.
    Cheers for any replys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

I know plenty of Thai people in Galway, if she wanted to go into the Thai Garden restaurant beside the Spanish Arch (out the back of Tamarind I think) and just start chatting to the staff, thats a great place to start. Also they do a mean green curry. There is no official community of Thai people in Galway as far as I'm aware, the interest just isn't there for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

Cheers for that,
    Ya we actually have had dinner in the Thai garden a few times and she chats with the staff when we are in.
    The thing is we heard that the Thai community meets in Galway a couple times a year,just not sure how to contact them as in the Thai garden it is one big nice family and they are only some of the Thai`s living in Galway.
    Someone said they hold a Thai/Irish festival in Lucan each year but again no specifics on the dates etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

If you have an email address I can forward it on to a few Thai people I know, maybe they might be interested in meeting her. Asking a few of the staff in the TG out for a pint or a coffee is probably your best bet though. Also if you do come across a Thai community group in Galway send me a pm sure, as I'm on the city intercultural forum steering committee and we'd like to get them involved; my own efforts to organise a group thus far haven't been successful, though they are a well connected group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 corrigae

my thai girlfriend is over for a few months, staying in galway and is always up for meeting with the natives. If your missus is interested in a chat you can forward on your email and they can arrange something.

Advertisement