Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC upgrade question

• 01-07-2010 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Just a quick question and apologies if it is a stupid question or/and has already been answered but I received a letter today on network upgrades for my area. The letter states that they will be moving from a MMDS system to Digital television and will contact me when the process is complete. The question I ask is if they are upgrading to digital television, does this mean broadband will be available as is not currently available at the moment. ????:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Is your house a one off in a rural area or an estate that was never previously cabled? . Was it analogue MMDS you could get previously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Just a quick question and apologies if it is a stupid question or/and has already been answered but I received a letter today on network upgrades for my area. The letter states that they will be moving from a MMDS system to Digital television and will contact me when the process is complete. The question I ask is if they are upgrading to digital television, does this mean broadband will be available as is not currently available at the moment. ????:confused:

Once they move you from MMDS to cable, they have the option of offering you broadband, but even on the existing cable network, broadband is not available to 100% of customers.

You might notice an improved range of TV stations as well, MMDS tends to have fewer stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 irishcarbomb2k

I'm in an estate. Lusk is the area. I don't subscribe to UPC atm so as far as I know it is just MMDS that is offered at the moment and the upgrade will mean moving to digital and digital DVR. It would be nice to have the broadband though as choice is not that good. The nearest exchange is Rush so speed can be a bit of a rollercoaster at times. :(

Is it the ex broadworks site. If so they intend to bring triple play to the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 irishcarbomb2k

Is it the ex broadworks site. If so they intend to bring triple play to the area.

I really don't know. It's lusk village on the Skerries side of Lusk. The only options (that I know off) that were available when I moved in were eircom (and resellers) and for television was Sky and NTL mmds.

• Advertisement

Yep thats the broadworks site recently bought by upc. They are in the process of integrating all broadworks sites to the upc network.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Philco71

I also live in Lusk and if all three are available in the near future then count me in because Im sick of the substandard broadband I have at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭garion

DingDong wrote: »
    Yep thats the broadworks site recently bought by upc. They are in the process of integrating all broadworks sites to the upc network.

Any idea what kind of broadband service would be available DingDong? Would we be talking high-speed (15mb+) or a similar service to what Eircom/Vodafone are currently offering?

Called UPC customer care but they havent a breeze. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭garion

Just an update... UPC is now on offer in Lusk Village estate. 8MB, 15MB and 30MB connections available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Hi,
    I live in GoldenRidge in Rush, the whole estate is serviced by one mmds aeriel with all the houses cabled into any idea if UPC broadband will be available here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

so people on MMDS cable can they get broadband and if so would they stay on upc current offering 8mb 15mb and 30mb and not NGN broadband speeds

Advertisement