Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Traditional values

• 01-07-2010 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭

As a man, gentlaman or young man.

Whats your's?

This thread been spawned bye a number of things but it was more so my dearist mother who was the catelist for this thread..

I'm just really curious, simply because of what my mum said to me My brother holds on to tradition very strongly , were as I, on the other hand think somethings stay in the past and traditionto me i see some what some people may expect. Which to me just takes the induviuality of who you are as person. To me it gives you some what of a robotic view on life which to me makes. things look very dull.

But on the other hand I'l always hold on to, chivilery to a degree while not alowing my self to be some ones door mat. Im just curious there's many traditional values out there for men but, what are yours.or maybe you've some what, developed your ?

So spill :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Sebastien De Valmont

Nothing wrong with being traditional.
    Male values and virtues are honour, loyalty, selflessness, courage, sticking to your guns, doing rather than saying and basically being strong and independent.
    A man should be gentle and protective toward women and children.
    He shouldn't be afraid to use his fists when he needs to or afraid of getting in trouble for doing what's right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

And should another man insult the honour of a maiden, you should draw your sword and cut his head off. And burn down his village and servants.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

be loyal, open a door for a woman, treat elders with respect, dont lie/steal/cheat. Generally treat others as you would hope to be treated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

be loyal, open a door for a woman, treat elders with respect, dont lie/steal/cheat. Generally treat others as you would hope to be treated.

Why just a woman whats wrong with holding a door open for another man?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

You'd be suprised about how many women really don't like having doors held open for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Trivarion

You'd be suprised about how many women really don't like having doors held open for them.
    It depends on the context I believe. If it's clearly done in a manner to draw attention or is an obvious attempt to garner some sort of commendation I can see how it can be annoying to the woman in question. However I hold doors open for anyone, as do most of the people where I work as force of habit due to of the number of security doors and lifts. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Running the world, bringing home the bacon, rescuing damsels in distress, slaying dragons, opening jars, scratching myself

This thread been spawned bye a number of things but it was more so my dearist mother who was the catelist for this thread..
    *catalyst (Sorry to point that out- it's the engineer in me.)

Addressing you initial question one thing in particular I dislike about people my age is their apparent increased use of vulgarity, especially in the workplace and particularly in front of people who are only acquaintances and not friends. I'm not sure if keeping a civil tongue in these contexts is "traditional" but there are times and places that certain language is highly inappropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Im not a huge follower of tradition, but I have a few general values that i live by, and they cover a wide range of things.

-treat others as you would like to be treated: karma will get you eventually

-Respect for your elders: they've done it all before and they know (mostly) what they're doing.

-Consideration for other people: Just think how others are affected by your actions. And is there anything that you could do to make other people's livees that little bit easier. e.g. parking properly, if you find out something or see something that would help someone, let them know etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Good grammar and excellent punctuation.

:P

I think it has been mentioned before that the OP has a specific learning disability, therefore I don't think it is appropriate for you to criticise his/her spelling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Trivarion wrote: »
    *catalyst (Sorry to point that out- it's the engineer in me.)

I'm an engineer to sound one :pac:......

no serously Im a sound engineer......

I really am a sound engineer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

DubMedic wrote: »
    I think it has been mentioned before that the OP has a specific learning disability, therefore I don't think it is appropriate for you to criticise his/her spelling.

Giving people the benefit of the doubt.

DubMedic wrote: »
    I didn't know that and I wasn't trying to be some irritating Internet grammar Nazi :). I don't have the best English comprehension skills myself. If it wasn't for spellcheck what I write would be gibberish. When words are misspelled I can read them over and over and not realise what they mean. In a similar note most txt messages may as well be in another language when I try and read them. But yes- spellcheck is awesome and can help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I'm generally nice towards other people(especially teh sxy wimmin:P), unless I'm in a ratarse mood.

Holding doors, manners and all that sorta stuff just comes naturally to me.

Tradition is something which is lacking in my generation(late 90s/00s kids), unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Charity and tolerence. Nowdays we have pressure groups and lobby groups whereas in the modern world you can never tell where the spin stops and the genuine service to others begins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

I hate tradition for the sake of tradition.

In fact, nothing irritates me more when a rational discussion grinds to a halt by someone declaring "IT'S JUST THE WAY I WAS BROUGHT UP".

That incenses me. It's an admission of mental weakness, and yet its said with pride. It is nothing more than a justification for regressive thinking and often bigotry.

I have values, but they have nothing to do with tradition. If other people had similar values before me then that's just because they're logical or human nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I hate tradition for the sake of tradition.

In fact, nothing irritates me more when a rational discussion grinds to a halt by someone declaring "IT'S JUST THE WAY I WAS BROUGHT UP".

That incenses me. It's an admission of mental weakness, and yet its said with pride. It is nothing more than a justification for regressive thinking and often bigotry.

I have values, but they have nothing to do with tradition. If other people had similar values before me then that's just because they're logical or human nature.

cheers herb you just said what I couldnt say :cool: :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

the values my mammy taught me
    • don't be a dick
    • stick up for the little guy
    • if you see something, say something
    • don't chew with your mouth open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Nothing wrong with being traditional.
    Male values and virtues are honour, loyalty, selflessness, courage, sticking to your guns, doing rather than saying and basically being strong and independent.
    A man should be gentle and protective toward women and children.
    He shouldn't be afraid to use his fists when he needs to or afraid of getting in trouble for doing what's right.

That's pretty sexy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Always try and put yourself in the other persons shoes.Id like to think that as Ive gotten older I can manage this the vast majority of the time.

Treat people as you want to be treated.

Be kind to animals,very important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

What everyone is putting up is just good manners really isn't it and good manners never go out of fashion :)

Advertisement