Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep my old PSU?

Options
  • 01-07-2010 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I am going to be doing my first build in a couple of months so real the research is starting now(have been doing bits here and there for months/years:D).
    I was just wondering if it is advisable to salvage my old PSU from my current rig or am I better off going new
    Its a 3 year old Enermax Galaxy 850w .

Any help is appreciated,
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

i dont see why not energymax are a good make once it has enough pci-e connectors you should be good to go

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

massy086 wrote: »
    i dont see why not energymax are a good make once it has enough pci-e connectors you should be good to go

Thanks for the quick reply.
    That's great, €100 more for my gfx card/ram :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Connavar wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    That's great, €100 more for my gfx card/ram :p

The Galaxy's are still an excellent PSU, it will do you for a good few years at least :D

I know that its probably a bit of overkill but this news is really pushing me towards the idea of getting a HD 5970, or a 5990 if the rumors are true and its out when I'm buying:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

i dont know im hearing good things about cross firring 5770,s and the bang for the buck is great and you have the psu to power cf

• Advertisement

Lol I just had a look at the toms hardware benchmarks for Battlefield bad company 2( 1920x1200, 4AA, 8AF, High Quality, DX10) on the 5770 cf.
    The 4870 cf beats it by up to 8 frames and the 3870 cf beats that by another 3!!

WTF are ati doing, their CF is getting worse(by the way I know DX11 support reverses it but still this is just messed up)

You do make a good point though, maybe I would be better off buying lower now so I can afford more in the future. I'm just still not used to the idea of building and upgrading. I normally just get the most beastly machine I can afford and everything tends to be outdated at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Connavar wrote: »
    Lol I just had a look at the toms hardware benchmarks for Battlefield bad company 2( 1920x1200, 4AA, 8AF, High Quality, DX10) on the 5770 cf.

Anything from Toms should be taken with a HUGE amount of salt.

Check out Guru3D, they compared the 5770 Xfire'd to a whole load of cards. Check it out :

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5770-review-test/14

Advertisement