Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cherries nearly ripe - Birds are waiting!

• 01-07-2010 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

It's getting very close to the time when the cherries on our tree outside are ripe for about five seconds before all of a sudden there's just a bunch of stones scattered around the trunk :D
    I've always been curious, do all birds go for cherries or is it a certain type? I can't see how bigger birds could rest on any of the lighter branches and the trees are always cleared so quickly it's like a group operation. I'd love to see it being done, but I think I'd need to be both very patient and up very early. Any info would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Snap, have been watching this too. It used to be the blackbird, but now I see the sparrows taking a keen interest around that part of the garden.

DON'T THINK I'M NOT WATCHING YOU!! :D

If I miss out again this year, I'm off to ebay to buy netting for next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,125 ✭✭✭John mac

I was in Westport at the weekend and 3 cherry trees along by the library had ripe red cherries.

and no birds attacking them. :).

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭tyler71

Well in fairness there wasn't a lot of euthusiasm for eating or drinking in Mayo after the result on Saturday night!:D
    That is strange though- my parents and grandparents used to have cherry trees as well and rarely got to see a ripe one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Thrushes are devouring everything in sight.

They have long procession of various fruits to bring them through the rest of Summer and Autumn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

35769_133673309989016_100000390425813_242363_5943709_n.jpg

Will they eat my raspberries? (this was the first decent amount I picked last night from my garden). I have House Sparrows and a couple of blackbirds as locals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,125 ✭✭✭John mac

yes they will. (any berries)

Advertisement