Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need advice on amplifier to choose!

• 01-07-2010 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

I've a Quad cd player and B&W dm 604 speakers and am wondering what would be a good budget amp to match this set up. I've returned to college as a mature student so cash is low and can't really afford to go high end but have nothing at the moment and so need something to 'fill a gap' 'cause I'm going nuts listening my girlfriend's ipod dock thingy or from my pc through a set of Mackie's which I use mucking around for recording at home. I love the clarity from the B&W's, HELP!!!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

you give no idea of budget but Cloney Audio have a Musical fidelity A100 for €300 which would have a sound to match your other components.
    You could go the new 'bargain' route (for slightly less) but it won't be in the same league as a "Class A" amp like the MF.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭a1000pigeons

Strangely I have one of those which I use with my home recording set up and when i used it before with the B&W's it wasn't great as the impedence didn't match (wasn't getting the volume I should have and things distorted a fairly low levels). I previously had the next size down from the 604's (603's I think, can't remember) and the amp worked fine. I should check Cloney's, most of my gear came from there actually, was given most of it by my late father who dealt with them a lot. If not I suppose Richer Sounds, thanks though Slaphead.
    If anyone has come across any particular models which surprised for the price, do please let me know!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Strangely I have one of those which I use with my home recording set up and when i used it before with the B&W's it wasn't great as the impedence didn't match (wasn't getting the volume I should have and things distorted a fairly low levels). I previously had the next size down from the 604's (603's I think, can't remember) and the amp worked fine. I should check Cloney's, most of my gear came from there actually, was given most of it by my late father who dealt with them a lot. If not I suppose Richer Sounds, thanks though Slaphead.
    If anyone has come across any particular models which surprised for the price, do please let me know!!!

Yeah the MF is a bit low on power for those big boys alright - just worth a trial. Cloney also have Arcam and Rotel amps second hand for similar money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 Stratospher

Hey You can also consider some used Cyrus 5-6 older models, mabey not prety but if music listening is more important for You than system look that will be excellent choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 Stratospher

Hi a1000Pigeons
    If You planning a trip to Limerick sometimes , we can arrange listening for those monsters on my creek evo amp , in my apt.
    Its Very powerfull and musical. If you are interested PM me.Sorry for my English it's not my native language.
    RGD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Harrocks

Have an onkyo 607 amp for over a year now 499 euro sure you could pick one up for less now.

Advertisement