Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you back up on your external hard drives?

• 01-07-2010 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭

Ive got a lot of films on my pc that im never going to watch ever again. Should i bother backing up on principle or should i just delete them forever?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Back up stuff thats important to you, like pictures, music ,cv, art etc or student project work ie stuff that is financially valuable to you, eg a test if you lost those movies would you care or be irritated ,or is it like stuff you record on dvr that you may never watch. theres no law that says backup everything, i backup all my pc driver files cos it saves time if and when i need to reinstall windows .I use drivermax program to export em to a folder, my drivers.SOME people rip their cds cos cds can get scratched and stop playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

Personally, I back up my pictures, music, films, shows, iso's, coursework... I back up more or less everything. If you have an external with enough space, then why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

again though, where do you keep your backup hard drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

Random wrote: »
    ...and do you backup your backup? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Backing up the irreplaceable data should take priority (personal work, photos, home movies etc). I do backup my music, but that’s because I spent so much time ripping it from my own CDs. I also backup my software install files and licence keys. I don’t bother with any media files I can easily download again. Finally, I have a snapshot of my OS to save time should I need to get up running again quickly after a disaster.
    Random wrote: »

Off site of course! I keep my main backup in work (a portable USB hard drive) and only bring it home once per month. I also do another backup to an internal hard drive that should protect any new files from a hard drive failure between my main backup cycles.

Probably overkill for most. It all depends on your individual requirements and the importance of the data to you. I find my setup easy to manage using software such as Acronis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21 CompExpert

I back up :
    Linux Distribution
    Programs and Drivers
    E-books
    Audio books
    Documents and serial codes of programs/games

I have an 1tb external hd and its in 95% full but this stuff i need for my work and for fixing computers.

IF you have a valuable program on cd or dvd eg photoshop ,that you paid for its worth backing up the disk, while still holding on to the original cds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

No matter how much data you have, be it purchased, ripped, downloaded, created, cloned etc, whatever you do, consider backing up family photos and vids to CDRs / DVDs. All well and good having those stored and organised conveniently on an external drive, but those drives can also fail.

You should burn photos,important data to cdr or dvdr ,at some point the
    backup hd will stop working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

ricman wrote: »
    You should burn photos,important data to cdr or dvdr ,at some point the
    backup hd will stop working.

+1 for the back up to external media like this. But remember like external drives you still need to handle the CD/DVD with care and proper storage as they can still die.

For standard software, games and movies, external drives are fine, but for the likes of family photos or important documents I would suggest some online storage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭John C

I back up the following to an USB Drive. It has four partitions.
    DataSync, FotoVideo, Download and BAK.
    - weekly my own documents, photos and tables for that week with SyncToy .
    - monthly differential backup operating system.
    - downloaded files
    Docs and Fotos are regularly stored onto DVD.

You ask about deleting old films. My thinking is to
    send them to Data Narvana. If I haven't watched a clip
    in six months it's time to part.

Advertisement