Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just for the summer....

• 01-07-2010 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭

Just a little background info...

Took up boxing in Jan to lose a bit of weight and get into shape..As it turns out boxing has become pretty important with training 3 times a week and the aim is now to start competing in the autumn/winter leagues..

It does however take a break for the summer and in order to stay fit and healthy I've been doing a little running (just for the summer!however I really think it has the potential to be a more long term thing!), which in the last 2-3 weeks I've become addicted to! Really enjoy getting out and about and trying to beat times etc...

Not really sure if my times are all that good, maybe somebody could shed some light, but I do enjoy trying to beat my PBs on certain routes..

When I started 3 weeks ago I would like to think I was moderately fit, started off running 3.2miles @ 24.30-25 mins. I ran my PB on Tues of 21 min 32 sec. Generally have been running 4 times a week, 3.2 miles twice and a 6.4 mile (Usually around 52-53 mins) route twice. Last night I decided to change it up and did a 6.85 mile route in 57 min 12 secs.

Anyways basically the aim of the log is to track my progress and to get some comments about whether or not the training is beneficial, was toying with the idea of entering a couple of races and any advice on that would be welcomed also, many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭VW 1

Absolute write-off of a weekend! Ended up going out both Friday and Saturday and being too wrecked and hungover to do any running! Best I could manage was a game of football on Sunday evening. Fully intend on getting back out tonight and getting my running back on track!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭VW 1

After almost a week off I managed to squeeze in 3.92 miles last night in a time of 30 min 12secs. Wasn't happy with this at all, from the start my legs felt heavy and sore as well as a blister developing early on. I guess this is the kind of punishment which is to be expected after a few nights on the beer and not enough exercise! Anyway, going to do the same route tonight and push myself on to do a better time (hopefully!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You shouldn't do every run at the same distance and as fast as you can. Go out for slower runs, shorter runs, longer runs... mix it up a bit. And then come back to your 3 mile run, at max speed, once a month or so - or even better, enter some races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

RayCun wrote: »
    You shouldn't do every run at the same distance and as fast as you can. Go out for slower runs, shorter runs, longer runs... mix it up a bit. And then come back to your 3 mile run, at max speed, once a month or so - or even better, enter some races.
    Yep. Also once your geting fitter if the plan is for funning to help your boxing 400's and 800 reps re ideal . Build up slowly until your capable of doing this. Maybe talk to your coach also to get an idea.

Advertisement