Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeats :(

Options
  • 01-07-2010 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭

I thought i might as well get this one started early...

Anyone any ideas on how you repeat a 100% C.A. module that has no past repeat papers online?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

I thought i might as well get this one started early...

Anyone any ideas on how you repeat a 100% C.A. module that has no past repeat papers online?

Depends on what type of Module it is, is it a Lab/Seminar/Tutorials?

Some lecturers give assignments but It really depends on what you failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Garseys wrote: »
    Depends on what type of Module it is, is it a Lab/Seminar/Tutorials?

Some lecturers give assignments but It really depends on what you failed.

It was Business Ethics (year 2), and we had lectures and seminars (60% attendance and group work, 40% individual assignment)...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

It was Business Ethics (year 2), and we had lectures and seminars (60% attendance and group work, 40% individual assignment)...

Best emailing your lecturer about it...You'll probably get to repeat your individual assignments and take your overall mark from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Garseys wrote: »
    Best emailing your lecturer about it...You'll probably get to repeat your individual assignments and take your overall mark from that.

Yeah i've just done that there, hopefully just a repeat assignment alright... thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭barbiedollz

when does the repeats timetable go up??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

No idea, but some colleges stick to the same timetable year in year out so if you look at the past papers and can spot a pattern i'd say that's the best you can do for the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

Mon 16 Aug - Sat 28 Aug is when the repeats are on. You won't know the exact date till much closer to your repeat exam.

Mr.S wrote: »
    seriously? i need to know when my dates are to be able to fly back/re arrange my summer -.-

Shouldn't have failed your exams, so.

Making plans for the summer when you haven't got results. Good game.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

I suppose it would make sense to put them on in the same order as the may exams?

I'm guesstimating the timetable will be up on 23rd of July. Used this 2008 thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055330406 for my calculations

EDIT: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055616596 <<<<< 2009 thread confirming my guesstimate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

pathway33 wrote: »
    I suppose it would make sense to put them on in the same order as the may exams?

May not be the case and would be a big risk to take if booking flights and what not. It could be ordered in a way that exams which have the most repeats would require the largest room and so on and so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Benny Lava

Maybe I'll study this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭alexjk

Is it possible to voluntarily repeat an assignment? I passed by compensation but I would like to repeat it and pass properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭af666x

Don't think so.

As far as I remember, if you pass it, they don't let you resit just to bump up your grades...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Slobodan Milosevic

Repeats are a joke of a system !!

In my valued opinion, repeats should be done away with. If you fail CA in college it is most likely due to utter lazyness. Therefore you shouldn't be allowed repeat in August.
    People who fail exams should be made repeat the whole year (like the leavig cert)

Most people who fail exams first time round are more than capable to pass if they put in any effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Meat

I have a feeling few people would agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

In my valued opinion, repeats should be done away with.
    I agree... but only in final year. DCU should give pass degrees, so if you fail final year then you get a pass degree, no repeating final year and still getting an Hons degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

Have to disagree H2G2. Repeats don't just cater to people who were lazy. Circumstances can dictate a student failing, regardless of the academic ability of the student.

Doing away with repeats in final year, and awarding a pass degree carries the irregularity of mis-representation of the students abilities.

In my valued opinion, repeats should be done away with. If you fail CA in college it is most likely due to utter lazyness. Therefore you shouldn't be allowed repeat in August.
    People who fail exams should be made repeat the whole year (like the leavig cert)

Most people who fail exams first time round are more than capable to pass if they put in any effort.

You're back!

We have missed you, Slobodan.

Any plans to reopen the DCUfm thread with stinging criticism?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭lavine7

Whats the story with the results you get in a repeat? Is there any greater benefit of achieving a high grade (60%-70%) in it than say getting the bare minimum needed to pass it?

• Advertisement

Benny Lava wrote: »
    You're back!

We have missed you, Slobodan.

Any plans to reopen the DCUfm thread with stinging criticism?

"we" I didnt know Benny you represented the views of a number of people?

As I have returned earlier today, I have been banned from a certain forum for expressing my opinions. So I will thread carefully.

I wish to make no offence to anyone.

On the matter of DCUfm, I will not speek of it as this is not related to teh thread. If you require my opinion on DCUfm, please seek it via the appropiate locations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wanderinglost

I thought under the new marks and standards if you failed a modules C.A then you had to repeat that the next year? I could be wrong, it may also be different for 100% c.a stuff.

"we" I didnt know Benny you represented the views of a number of people?

As I have returned earlier today, I have been banned from a certain forum for expressing my opinions. So I will thread carefully.

I wish to make no offence to anyone.

On the matter of DCUfm, I will not speek of it as this is not related to teh thread. If you require my opinion on DCUfm, please seek it via the appropiate locations.

You were always one for playing by the rules, Slobo!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭public_enemy

So I will thread carefully.

Typo or awesome pun?

Benny Lava wrote: »
    You were always one for playing by the rules, Slobo!

Very poor attempt at sarcasm Benny. You will find that I Slobodon Milosevic, have no history of breaking any rules. I come in peace.

To Public Enemy number 1, have a guess which?
    I'm actually insulted that you would even question a poster of my calibure.

On the subject of repeats, hope Benny and Co are studing hard. My question is why didn't yas bother the first time round? would have saved yas 200 quid.
    Imagine what you could do with 200 quid. That would get you a lady of the night for quite some time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

^ Or 40 "ladies" of the night

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

In soviet russia, thread write you.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭public_enemy

I'm gonna go with typo :(

As for repeats, I wouldn't have a degree without them. Everyone screws up once in a while, it shouldn't mean you don't get a degree.

Very poor attempt at sarcasm Benny. You will find that I Slobodan Milosevic, have no history of breaking any rules. I come in peace.

To Public Enemy number 1, have a guess which?

On the subject of repeats, hope Benny and Co are studing hard. My question is why didn't yas bother the first time round? would have saved yas 200 quid.
    Imagine what you could do with 200 quid. That would get you a lady of the night for quite some time ;)

Listen here, Slobodan. You have been banned from boards.ie on four occasions, three under usernames other than the one you are currently using. Enough said.

I'll have you know that I have yet to start studying. What makes you so sure I want to go back to my incredibly serious course?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mikec123

pathway33 wrote: »
    No idea, but some colleges stick to the same timetable year in year out so if you look at the past papers and can spot a pattern i'd say that's the best you can do for the moment

no exact date on the exam papers, so that won't really work...only thing that it will tell you is that they're in August!

emailed the exam board today, they said that "The examination timetable will be published on your portal page in the coming week."

Advertisement