Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worm Tablets for Puppies

Options
  • 01-07-2010 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I've 2 new pups and someone said i should get tablets to d-worm them..

They are about 8 weeks old... Should I get them ?,, Any info would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Bookkeeper09

You can get them from your vet when you are bringing them to have them vaccinated.
    I tried to buy deworming tablets in my local pet shop....they had got some but they said they were only suitable for dogs over 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Yeah, you should worm them now at 8 weeks, then again at 10 and 12 weeks. Then every month up to 6 months, and every 3 months up to a year. Then when they're adults twice a year. It sounds like a lot, but the tablets are cheap and it's better than having worms, which are horrible.

The best place to get the tablets is the vets, I've heard ones from pet shops aren't very effective. Make sure to say it's for a young puppy, and the breed of the pup.

The puppies can get the 7 in 1 vaccination at 12-14 weeks (did they get the parvo vaccination at 6 weeks? If not you can get that now.) And a yearly booster vaccination.

It's best to bring them to the vet to get checked out anyway, in case there is anything wrong.

Good luck with them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Yes they need to be wormed. Whoever you got your pups from should have wormed them a few times already.

On the vaccination record card I got from my breeder this is what it says:-

"Pups need to be wormed at 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 weeks of age. Then monthly up to 6 months and then 3 monthly forever."

Maybe talk to your vet.

BTW, they probably need to be treated for fleas and vaccinated aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Theres tiny ones you can get from your vet but I can't think of the name. Other than that theres a liquid called Parazole you can mix into the food.
    Make sure to worm them or they won't thrive.
    Once the tablet/ liquid is taken they should pass the dead worms in 24 to 48 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yes, its essential you worm your pups. Follow the instructions from the other posters and make sure you get the tablets from the vets and not from the loca shop etc as these arent very good and can make your pups sick as they arent very good quality.

The vet will instruct you how much to give etc so just call into your local vets and they will give you them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

You need to find out from the breeder ( they should have told you) when the pups were last wormed and then every 2 weeks up to 3 months, once a month up to 6 months and every 3 months afer that.

Buy your wormer from the vet, you can get it over the counter just tell them what you need and what weight the pups are, wormers work by weight. Never buy wormers, flea treatments etc. from the supermarket!

Also remember not to let your pups outside until they are fully vaccinated.

Here's some resources:
    http://www.caravetgroup.com/Top_Tips_for_Caring_for_a_New_Puppy/Default.387.html
    http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/digital-dog-training-textbook

• Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

the pups have had there 1st shot from the breeder (parvo shot) they are due another in 6 weeks, I was not told about worming.

The pups have been out the back garden today and yesterday ( only got them yesterday ) should i not let them out anymore ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I let my puppy (8 weeks) outside, so I would let them outside, but other people might disagree. Don't take them for walks though, or let them run in fields (they can catch things from rat or mice urine) and don't let them meet other dogs that might not be vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Bookkeeper09

We had our pup out in our back garden before she had her second vaccine.....vet said this was fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

NeVeR wrote: »
    the pups have had there 1st shot from the breeder (parvo shot) they are due another in 6 weeks, I was not told about worming.

The pups have been out the back garden today and yesterday ( only got them yesterday ) should i not let them out anymore ?

Sorry but 6 weeks doesnt sound right, its usually 2-4 weeks after the first shot, not 6 weeks. What date did they get their parvo on? They should have given you a vaccination card with the dates on it so when you get the dates, ring your vet and ask when they have to get their next ones but im nearly sure its not 6 weeks after.

Call the breeder and ask about worming and when they were last wormed as you have to be careful not to over worm them too.
    Worming is essential in puppies or they can get very sick.

Playing in your own garden is fine, but do not bring them outside to play or walk yet until they are over all the vaccinations or be in contact with other dogs yet as its too risky.

There are diseases that puppies can easily pick up which can be very serious for your pup if caught so dont be rushing out to walk them just for the sake of waiting a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

NeVeR wrote: »

You can let them out your back garden as long as no other dogs have been there. It takes 10-14 days for immunity to kick in after vaccination.

It is vital you worm them also. It is estimated approx 90% of pups can be born with roundworms and can be fatal if not treated. Good basic info here
    Drontal and Panacur are the most common wormers here and every vet should have them in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Breeder told me they were wormed on the 27th,, I took them to the Vet and they gave me tablets and said do them again on the 11th/12th and then 2 weeks after that.

I checked the paper work I got with them. They got there 1st Vaccination on the 29th June and across from it it says Next Vaccination due 6th Aug, I thought it said 26th Aug

Advertisement