Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retroheads - Would you sell your beloved retro games?

Options
  • 01-07-2010 2:16pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just because selling new games bores Retr0 to big fat salty tears, thought this would be an interesting subject to bring up.

I was in the attic yesterday, and came across my old Atari 2600. It brought back some memories as a depraved kid :pac:

I began to root around for my NES and my Megadrive, and came across a huge stack of games for them, most of which are on Wiiware and whatnot. Well it briefly struck my mind as to how much they would sell for. Then that thought went away pretty quickly, as I pretty much determined that I couldn't part with my beloved SMB3, Bubsy and Rolo cartridges.

So, would you sell your old classic games and/or consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,993 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Never sell any old consoles.

You won't get much and you'll only live to regret it.

If however anyone doesn't wish to heed the above and still wants to sell, send me a pm! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

So, would you sell your old classic games and/or consoles?

Would i ****.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Ok, well how about new games you've traded in recently? Surely 20 years down the line you MIGHT regret doing that?

If you asked the same question to the kids of this generation 20 years on, there would probably be a different answer altogether

Master of the Universe

That's not to say some games aren't worth a few. You'd be suprised how much hard to find desirable titles can go for.

But yeah, consoles generally not too much. Unless you happen to be selling something like a Noun, Vectrex or weird development hardware.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

People starting threads about 'how much will this go for?' bore me and adverts.ie is the place for all that.

As for selling my retro consoles and games, not a chance. Too many memories and too many excellent games I still want to play or haven't. I know the minute I sell them I'll regret it and only end up paying more than I sold them for to get them back.

Only games I ever traded in were The Darkness and Kane and Lynch and only because they were terrible.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Ok, well how about new games you've traded in recently? Surely 20 years down the line you MIGHT regret doing that?

If you asked the same question to the kids of this generation 20 years on, there would probably be a different answer altogether

Well personally I don't trade in any games whatsoever. Even new ones.

The only time I'll ever get rid of something is if I have duplicates.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Those new games are going to be retro one day and with my taste in games I always end up with a few that become rare sought after collectibles *hugs mint copy of Suikoden 2*

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I have nes paperboy in original packaging. Gonna keep onto for another 20 years untill its rare :p

*20 years later it sells for €4 :D

Master of the Universe

Factory sealed NES stuff tends to sell for more than you'd think. There are some fantatical NES collectors out there and sealed copies are getting harder and harder to find. Do hold onto that :)

I've never traded in a game, I tend to have a good knack for not buying **** games :pac:

Although with emulators its much easier to recreate the experience without actually owning the hard to get consoles/games from years gone by. Zelda: OoT looks really damn good running off my laptop on my 40" tv in 1920*1080, ten times better than when I hook up my actual N64 to the same tv, runs so much better too, don't think my N64 has aged too well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I still regret selling my N64. Kept my Dreamcast though, which still makes me happy.

Although with emulators its much easier to recreate the experience without actually owning the hard to get consoles/games from years gone by. Zelda: OoT looks really damn good running off my laptop on my 40" tv in 1920*1080, ten times better than when I hook up my actual N64 to the same tv, runs so much better too, don't think my N64 has aged too well.

Ah but it's not the same though! You don't have the controller and playing it in higher res with proper Anti aliasing inHD resolutions is different from the real thing. It's why I hate emulating old 3D consoles like Saturn, PS1 and N64 because the experience is different. You aren't playing an N64 game unless the framerate is awful, the screen is all blurry because of the terrible anti aliasing and you have to use ****ty AV composite instead of scart (ok this one is a bit lame).

One thing I really hate is unaccurate emulation. Unless it's perfect I'll never use it which is why I stay away from Ps1, Saturn and N64 emulators because of the small glitches and how it's just a little off.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ah but it's not the same though! You don't have the controller and playing it in higher res with proper Anti aliasing inHD resolutions is different from the real thing. It's why I hate emulating old 3D consoles like Saturn, PS1 and N64 because the experience is different. You aren't playing an N64 game unless the framerate is awful, the screen is all blurry because of the terrible anti aliasing and you have to use ****ty AV composite instead of scart (ok this one is a bit lame).

One thing I really hate is unaccurate emulation. Unless it's perfect I'll never use it which is why I stay away from Ps1, Saturn and N64 emulators because of the small glitches and how it's just a little off.

I would argue that in some ways its actually better, and its great that they can be adjusted to look so much better than they did originally and run so smoothly.

Regarding the controller I use one of these:
    http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=MME2226589&productID=S6322943
    The analogue sticks work a treat and I use one of them like I used the N64's analogue stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭ClayDavis

I've decent megadrive, n64 and dreamcast collections which are never going anywhere. Weirdly enough I have a few ps1 games in spite of never owning one including two copies of Final Fantasy 7, FF9 and Vagrant Story but have never played more than a couple of hours of them because I was on an emulator and the glitches annoyed me. I'd probably sell them if they were worth a few quid.

Yeah but the flaws are what make the experience authentic, although I agree that the shoddy frame rate on some games on native hardware can make them unplayable these days.

As for that filthy PS dualshock knock off ( :P ) you are using, it's still not an 64 controller, the feel is all different.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I never sell on games, retro or not. I like having a collection, and while in reality I won't go back to all of them, I'd rather keep them then support Gamestop (I really hate gamestop). Possibly if I was stuck for cash I'd sell some stuff on Ebay or adverts, but I'm happy holding on to what I have at the moment.

Never know when I might get the sudden urge to randomly finish Gregory Horror Show :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Joy of joys, I found out that I can emulate PS2 games on my PC with the original discs. :)
    Or, I can forget about loading times/drive noise and just make an ISO, and increase the resolution.
    And PS2 pad converters are easy to come by.

Only problem now -- I get about half the frame rate as on a real PS2 :p So I'll have to wait until this type of brute-force-emulation is viable.

Regards to selling games -- I never do this, you just have an attachment to stuff you buy (something the pirate generation will NEVER understand).
    Sure I spilt Sprite all over my brand-new copy of Persona 3 before it had even left the case, and I still kept it even when I bought P3:FES. Silly things like that just stick with you.

Also, I too must get around to finishing Gregory Horror Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I've got three Dreamcasts with just under 200 original games, arcade sticks, light-guns, numerous VMUs and numerous rare games just sitting gathering dust in my parent's attic. I've no room for them and always promised myself that when I buy a place of my own, I'd have a dedicated room for it. However, as I'll probably end up getting a place with my missus, it's going to be a battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

About 5 years ago I traded in my GameCube with Zelda: Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine, Resident Evil & Mario Kart Double Dash.

I hate myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

About 5 years ago I traded in my GameCube with Zelda: Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine, Resident Evil & Mario Kart Double Dash.

I hate myself.
    But, you became 20 euro richer, right? Bright side and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Not a hope in hell :),they'll be going in my grave with me :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    But, you became 20 euro richer, right? Bright side and all that.

5 years ago it got me a shiny new Nintendo DS Lite + game which I have played to death over the years. So yeah not the worst I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I'm not a hoarder at all. I ditch games once I'm done with them and rarely go back to them. Only games I did revisit recently were COD 4 and WAW.

Having said that I did get the retro bug awhile back and bought an N64 which was a console i skipped at the time for whatever reason and then tracked down a gamecube as well. Both consoles came with heaps of games. Played them a good but bit eventually grew bored and managed to sell em on for more than I bought em for. Don't regret it so far anyway. Have my plate full with the current gen so time spent on retro games is tough to come by except for XBLA titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Well take it form one who has parted with retro consoles that its not a good idea at all, I had two Sega Gamegears with loads of accessories like the TV tuner etc. also had nearly every title available on them and my mother gave them away on me, this is still a sore point to this day and I will forever regret letting her do that to me.
    My missus is always trying to get me to sell my PS1 & PS2 plus all the games etc. I have for them but since the debacle with the Gamegears I fight that anti gaming witch tooth and nail over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

There are a few games in my collection that I don't particularly like, so I'll probably sell them off at some stage. Other than that, there's no way I could force myself into parting with my dearest darling retro hoard. :p

Many of my games are childhood presents that I received on my birthday or at Christmas, and I've got lots of warm memories of playing through them either with my brother or my dad. Nah, no way I could sell them now. They don't exactly take up much space, I do play through them from time, and I wouldn't get all that much for them. They're staying put a while longer.

I dpn't see how girls can not mind a huge CD or LP collection but when it's a games collection there's something sad about it.

Master of the Universe

I dpn't see how girls can not mind a huge CD or LP collection but when it's a games collection there's something sad about it.

You're just hanging out with the wrong girls ;)

Yeah but the flaws are what make the experience authentic, although I agree that the shoddy frame rate on some games on native hardware can make them unplayable these days.

As for that filthy PS dualshock knock off ( :P ) you are using, it's still not an 64 controller, the feel is all different.

'tis fine!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

i would never get rid/sell of the amiga or atari. too many memories of beating my brothers at worms II: director's cut and playing rampage and defender.
    oh the memories. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement