Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crankshaft Oil Seal???

• 01-07-2010 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭

Can anyone give me a ball park figure to replace a Crankshaft Oil Seal. I'm driving a 00 Astra. It started leaking oil and I've had 3 different people look at it and tell me that it's the crankshaft oil seal, but none will give me a figure bar saying it's gonna cost alot and it wouldn't be worth it compared to the value of the car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Blue Lips

Had same problem. The part itself cost about 4euro (cost price) and labour was 30.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

not worth it for an 04 Astra?
    Sounds like a sales spiel to me.
    Than they'll "generously" take the old car off your hands for free and sell it on next week after fixing it.
    I hate nothing more on earth than the old "dodgy mechanic" trick of "I can't tell you how much it is till the work's done", avoid, cowboy, fraud, scheister.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Seriously? If was 50 quid I'd have fixed by now. I've been led to believe its gonna cost savage money due to labour involved in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

yom 1 wrote: »
    Can anyone give me a ball park figure to replace a Crankshaft Oil Seal. I'm driving a 00 Astra. It started leaking oil and I've had 3 different people look at it and tell me that it's the crankshaft oil seal, but none will give me a figure bar saying it's gonna cost alot and it wouldn't be worth it compared to the value of the car.

It happen to me few years ago in Fiat Bravo 1.6
    Problem was, that crankshaft Oil Seal, was at the clutch side, so oil was leaking straight into the clutch.
    Pretty much I had to take whole gearbox out, and also changed clutch, as it was almost gone also. Seal costed like couple of euros.

Hopefully it's on the other side in your case, because otherwise it'll cost about the same as labour for changing the clutch.

Was told its at the rear of the engine so timing belt and all will have to come off to get to it, and its the man hours I'll be paying for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Was told its at the rear of the engine so timing belt and all will have to come off to get to it, and its the man hours I'll be paying for.

Eh ?
    Timing belt end is the opposite end to the 'back' end (i.e. clutch end) - so which is it ? If timing belt end, easier. If clutch end, gearbox out first. Still not a biggie, though. If it was the clutch end, I'd have presumed your clutch would be slipping and that'd be for the bin too........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

The first lad I brought it to said "oh big job, need the car for probably 2 days, its at the back so timing belt and all will have to come off." I dont know much about engines/cars so just thought balls:p

All I know is there is oil to the back and left side of the engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

The first lad I brought it to said "oh big job, need the car for probably 2 days, its at the back so timing belt and all will have to come off." I dont know much about engines/cars so just thought balls:p

All I know is there is oil to the back and left side of the engine.

What engine is it?
    I had Astra 00 1.4 petrol before, and timing belt was at right side of engine.

Other thing is what side of engine is right or left accoring to you?
    Normally you describe it the same as everything else. (means right side of engine is near right front wheel), but some people confuse it as you stand in front of open bonnet, then right side of engine is at your left side).

It's a 1.4. But yeah I was saying left as I look at it with bonnet open, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ep71

the problem is that you have to strip everything as if you were going to change the timing belt, then remove the oil pump and maybe a few other bits and bobs to get at the seal. the seal itself would only be a few € but it would take around half a day to do the job. also you may find that the timing belt needs replacing aswell, either way it should be sortable for €200 or so

• Advertisement

Cheers folks.

Advertisement