Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

13yr old arrested

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

Can I ask if either of you, Orizio or meoklmrk have ever been directly targeted by such anti social behaviour.
    I don't believe that we should burn people at the stake but having personally gone through hell by the vilest neighbours in the world and having nobody to turn to you do become very intolerant of such behaviour. And scarily knowing that they will and can continue to behave as such as they're background is the winning card that is always used to excuse them is a cop out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Lets face it, we all know or have heard of people who have been brought up in the most terrible of circumstances yet are good people in their own right. We have also heard of people brought up excellently yet they go off the rails. When should the child in question assume culpability and responsibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

What these people do is wrong, locking them up and letting them rot is wrong. Theyre kids ffs!.

@Kilburn Your comments are ignorant and dangerous. What you suggest happened some years ago in Germany, and we should learn from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Millie wrote: »
    Can I ask if either of you, Orizio or meoklmrk have ever been directly targeted by such anti social behaviour.
    I don't believe that we should burn people at the stake but having personally gone through hell by the vilest neighbours in the world and having nobody to turn to you do become very intolerant of such behaviour. And scarily knowing that they will and can continue to behave as such as they're background is the winning card that is always used to excuse them.

I'll be honest and say that I haven't ever had anything major happen in regards to Anti-social behavior, I also lived right next door to a family from Limerick with a very well known background and surname and they never did or said a thing for almost 2 years. I cannot imagine what it is like to be constantly under attack in your own home and I completely sympathize with anyone who has to go through anything like that. However I will not vilify someone who in the eyes of the LAW is a child and call her a scumbag. When a child is raised in that kind of environment what chance do they have? If your parents raise you to be a good, kind and moral person chances are you will be that person, people seem to forget that the same goes vice versa.

Xennon wrote: »
    What these people do is wrong, locking them up and letting them rot is wrong. Theyre kids ffs!.

@Kilburn Your comments are ignorant and dangerous. What you suggest happened some years ago in Germany, and we should learn from that.

So what do you suggest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

http://art-bin.com/art/omodest.html
    I'm joking of course... as was Mr. Swift I believe.

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I'll be honest and say that I haven't ever had anything major happen in regards to Anti-social behavior, I also lived right next door to a family from Limerick with a very well known background and surname and they never did or said a thing for almost 2 years. I cannot imagine what it is like to be constantly under attack in your own home and I completely sympathize with anyone who has to go through anything like that. However I will not vilify someone who in the eyes of the LAW is a child and call her a scumbag. When a child is raised in that kind of environment what chance do they have? If your parents raise you to be a good, kind and moral person chances are you will be that person, people seem to forget that the same goes vice versa.

Thank you for your honesty.
    However living next door to a well known family but not being intimidated is very different.
    I am 37yrs old and was being intimadted by a 6yr old!!
    As my friend said I tried to kill them with kindness but that didn't work.
    I spent nights & nights crying in my new home because of they're anti social behaviour.
    I contacted the Guards, the HSE, the City Council etc but nobody was willing to help me.
    Eventually my house was broken into and my car was stolen and under the instruction of the Guards I was told to move out of my house for fear of retribution from that family and that's exactly what I had to do.

I have to say I was somewhat of a liberal heart before I was confronted with the actual reality of it and then you know what but a little part of me died.
    And I know and see everyday that this will continue and spread until the parents are made responsible for their children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Maybe the judge needs to look at calling in social services, she might do better in a care home elsewhere in the country.
    Now I know you can't just go splitting up families but it may be for the best, the experts that work for the state can decide.

If she reaches 18, she'll have racked up 50 convictions the way she is going and I don't think a sentence in a young offenders centre is going to change her.

Maybe a fresh start outside Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Orizio wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Look up the term 'flippancy' and get back to me.

Understood Orizio - Be a victim of crime and you will see things differently .

And just to add to my little rant, I am a tax paying, mortgage paying individual who couldn't turn to anybody.
    However they were a disfunctional f*cked up family who had social services, St Vincent De Paul, etc, etc taking pity on them and every second day somebody was doing/taking care of them but when all that happened to me (and many others), nobody knocked on my house to check that I was okay!!

So advertenly it's okay for me to rob and intimidate?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Millie I am genuinely sorry that you and countless other people have been victimized in this manner. It is completely unacceptable, and I do believe that safety nets should be put in place to protect people from such things. I totally disagree with such behaviour, in this case I think that the children should be taken into state care and the parents literally kicked out. Any child displaying antisocial behavior is a sign of serious issues and quite frankly the whole "I can't control him/her" simply does not fly anymore. Unless there is intervention with these kids the process will simply repeat itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Noun

flippancy

A disrespectful levity or pertness especially in respect to grave or sacred matter

Sounds just like what the 13 yo dislpayed.

Put her in a home till she is an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Xennon wrote: »

Xennon cop on to yourself, no one is suggesting anything like Germany.
    Get over yourself will ya, if you commit a crime you have to do the time its as simple as that.
    And how dare u pass comments like that about my character, it seems here that when people disagree with a comment the result to insulting you. Aint we a mature lot here, I thought boards was a platform for discussion not a slanging match site.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

kilburn wrote: »
    Aint we a mature lot here, I thought boards was a platform for discussion not a slanging match site.

Most of Boards is brilliant for mature discussion, but this forum has been in steady decline for a while now. Check out some of the other sections of the site and your faith in it should be restored :) Your faith in Limerick-people may, however, be tarnished forever by threads like this...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

thanks insect it is a shame that people resort to insults and cant discuss things like adults

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

I understand people saying she had a traumatic childhood etc... but for me it's a cop-out.She is a disgusting child who attacks other kids to rob their money,will give the height of abuse to anyone be it old or young.I hope one day she meets her maker and the same for her Whole Family!In Garryowen i know of numerous Families who hope they are wiped off the face of the earth like there scum of an uncle was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

In Garryowen i know of numerous Families who hope they are wiped off the face of the earth like there scum of an uncle was.
    Why do these families hope they are wiped off the face of the earth? Perhaps these suicidal tenancies are part of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

tuxy wrote: »
    Why do these families hope they are wiped off the face of the earth? Perhaps these suicidal tenancies are part of the problem.

Because many have been assaulted by members of the family and have had there houses robbed by them.Also they live in fear of them and as the saying goes "a life lived in fear is a life half lived".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Millie wrote: »
    Thank you for your honesty.
    However living next door to a well known family but not being intimidated is very different.
    I am 37yrs old and was being intimadted by a 6yr old!!
    As my friend said I tried to kill them with kindness but that didn't work.
    I spent nights & nights crying in my new home because of they're anti social behaviour.
    I contacted the Guards, the HSE, the City Council etc but nobody was willing to help me.
    Eventually my house was broken into and my car was stolen and under the instruction of the Guards I was told to move out of my house for fear of retribution from that family and that's exactly what I had to do.

I have to say I was somewhat of a liberal heart before I was confronted with the actual reality of it and then you know what but a little part of me died.
    And I know and see everyday that this will continue and spread until the parents are made responsible for their children.

Its a horrible story and I feel sorry for you Millie. But you'll notice if you re-read, nobody was defending the parents on this thread, and thats the point. It's their fault. The kid never had a hope really. You hardly blame the 6 year old on their own.

People should need a licence to have kids

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭biggles007

If you grow up amongst nettles you'll have to sting too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

zuroph wrote: »
    yes you can, its clearly down to the parents. Poor kid never had a chance.

Not entirely. My sister isn't as careless as this 13 year old but she's not far from it. And we have the same parents ;)

But i don't know you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

yes you can, its clearly down to the parents. Poor kid never had a chance.
    The Dundons father is a murderer but how come he has one son not involved in crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Its a horrible story and I feel sorry for you Millie. But you'll notice if you re-read, nobody was defending the parents on this thread, and thats the point. It's their fault. The kid never had a hope really. You hardly blame the 6 year old on their own.

People should need a licence to have kids

We need a licence to have a dog, or a piece of equipment that can recieve a tv signal, yet anyone can have kids, its a joke.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Jigga wrote: »
    The Dundons father is a murderer but how come he has one son not involved in crime?

Which one is that? I know of Wayne, John, & Ger, all of whom are "well known" to the authorities.

p.s I nearly forgot Dessie.

Jigga wrote: »

and this is your litmus test for all cases internationally? If a 13 year old kid is free to wander about steling cars, and her younger brother is able to head out drinkign and smoking every day, then PERHAPS the parents arent keeping much of an eye on their kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

bugler wrote: »
    I'm not sure what I feel for her is sympathy, but you have to realise that you, or I, or I'm sure anyone else on this thread, did not have an upbringing like she had or is having. It's easy to say "she knows this, she knows that", but does she? Was she told by words and more importantly by deed how you act with people? Did she learn how to care or be cared for? Or was she subjected to abuse, neglect, starved of basic care never mind love, and left with no moral compass whatsoever?

You or I have no idea what she knows, what she thinks, or how she feels. I'm bloody glad of that too. What she or other similar kids have been through is completely off the scale of what we've ever experienced. We have no idea what that would be like. Do not underestimate the importance of childhood. Your parents and family shaped your personality and character in a million ways you can never ever count. If those supports were removed or damaged it would affect you seriously. She is just not like you or I.

She is obviously an extreme case, and it's very hard to see any possible solution. Certainly it seems untenable to leave her with her family if she is with them currently. But does our state have any real plan to deal with her? I doubt it.

She will go on running wild until she dies or lands in prison on a lengthy stretch, which will sadly be the best for all concerned. All because we simply do not have an answer for what to do when people who are not fit to raise children have children.

Got it in one Bugler.

@Kilburn, no-one has actually insulted you or questioned your integrity, personality, whatever. They have pointed out your statements for what they are. It's not being pc either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Normalperson

Looking throught the posts I see that someone even thought that Fairview Crescent was a private estate, which goes to show that because the place is SO hidden that most wouldnt even know what goes on up there on a daily basis.
    Im speaking as a resident living very nearby and I can say that this girl and her family (if you could even call them that) are only one half of the problems up there as they are closely alligned with another family and between them they have caused absolute mayhem and have successfully driven out around 17 quiet-living families from Fairview Crescent Garryowen,
    the latest being only this week (where the little cnut saw off another family with her intimidation), supported by her proud mother.

Limerick city council are well aware of the situation and are allowing themselves to fail through the eviction process of this family - put simply - Fairview Crescent is so hidden away from the main roads (you would have no business going up there as it is a cul de sac) that they turn the blind eye to the destruction caused by these families as they know they would have uproar on their hands if they were to move them to another area (be it from residents in a private area or be it from equally bad council tennants who would clash with them).
    It seems easier to just let the good people walk away than to remove the scum.

These vermin often become bored with the Crescent and venture out and about through Garryowen and nearby areas to attack local youngsters (and indeed adults too - as the poor lady down Johns Square suffered at the hands of this little creepy bitch) for their phones and they vandalise cars and burn down derelict properties, wheelie bins outside houses ect.

I go mad when I hear people say "theres no place for the kids to go, build commuity centres, youth clubs ect" but seriously - these b******s were given beautiful brand new homes in one of the most expensive council developments ever built in IRELAND (and YOU tax paying people PAID for it) and this is the thanks you get for working, YOU house these apes,
    enabling them to breed and multiply.

This is why the whole regeneration scam scheme will NEVER work - brand new properties will NOT calm these b******s down, they will not suddenly drop their pick axes and be nice to neighbours just because they live in a nice house. The money that's being WASTED on redeveloping sh*t***es will never work cos when these undeserving b******s move in and decide they have a problem with one of their neighbours, they all may aswell be still living in the squalor that THEY created in the likes of Southill and Weston.
    Give them f-all I say. Make them homeless!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I if i could thank your post a hundred times I would

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Looking throught the posts I see that someone even thought that Fairview Crescent was a private estate, which goes to show that because the place is SO hidden that most wouldnt even know what goes on up there on a daily basis.
    Im speaking as a resident living very nearby and I can say that this girl and her family (if you could even call them that) are only one half of the problems up there as they are closely alligned with another family and between them they have caused absolute mayhem and have successfully driven out around 17 quiet-living families from Fairview Crescent Garryowen,
    the latest being only this week (where the little cnut saw off another family with her intimidation), supported by her proud mother.

Limerick city council are well aware of the situation and are allowing themselves to fail through the eviction process of this family - put simply - Fairview Crescent is so hidden away from the main roads (you would have no business going up there as it is a cul de sac) that they turn the blind eye to the destruction caused by these families as they know they would have uproar on their hands if they were to move them to another area (be it from residents in a private area or be it from equally bad council tennants who would clash with them).
    It seems easier to just let the good people walk away than to remove the scum.

These vermin often become bored with the Crescent and venture out and about through Garryowen and nearby areas to attack local youngsters (and indeed adults too - as the poor lady down Johns Square suffered at the hands of this little creepy bitch) for their phones and they vandalise cars and burn down derelict properties, wheelie bins outside houses ect.

I go mad when I hear people say "theres no place for the kids to go, build commuity centres, youth clubs ect" but seriously - these b******s were given beautiful brand new homes in one of the most expensive council developments ever built in IRELAND (and YOU tax paying people PAID for it) and this is the thanks you get for working, YOU house these apes,
    enabling them to breed and multiply.

This is why the whole regeneration scam scheme will NEVER work - brand new properties will NOT calm these b******s down, they will not suddenly drop their pick axes and be nice to neighbours just because they live in a nice house. The money that's being WASTED on redeveloping sh*t***es will never work cos when these undeserving b******s move in and decide they have a problem with one of their neighbours, they all may aswell be still living in the squalor that THEY created in the likes of Southill and Weston.
    Give them f-all I say. Make them homeless!
    Well said.

Advertisement