Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Software to Access My PC from Anywhere

• 01-07-2010 2:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭

Looking for recommendations on software I can use to remotely access my PC at home from work or wherever. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Adren

Teamviewer its class.. free as well.

http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

can also remote control a mac fro a pc.

Peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Adren wrote: »

Peace.
    Cheers i'll give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Looking for recommendations on software I can use to remotely access my PC at home from work or wherever. Thanks

Could set up a VPN ?

If you want a simple program to use as an interface I've found TeamViewer easy to setup and use, just configure a permanent link to the PC and set your password. Will be prompted for the password when you access the machine, then have remote access to the desktop.

Can be a bit slow, think its still freeware for non commercial use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

I use RealVNC and sometimes Logmein.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    I use RealVNC and sometimes Logmein.

I use logmein.com as well - there's a free and a commercial version. I use the free version and its perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,278 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Go To My PC?

:p

http://gotomypc.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

My first choice would be logmein but check out mikogo. Just recently heard about it. Its quite good to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭RogerThis

I use Remote Desktop Connection for my home PC, but there is a bit of setting up with it. Your PC needs a static IP. You need to port forward 3389 to your PC. And you need to use a dynamic DNS (DynDNS or NoIP) running on your PC or router.

I also use Logmein for other PC's. It would be a lot easier to setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭RogerThis

My first choice would be logmein but check out mikogo. Just recently heard about it. Its quite good to.

This one sounds interesting, must give it a go. This one is completely free for business. I was using teamviewer for work, which it wasn't licensed for. So I was looking for a replacement.

Thanks unnameduser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

One more for Logmein, I use it a lot for work <> home. Ignition for iphone and Android now too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Turtles Run

Adren wrote: »

Peace.

Hi Guys,

First time poster here and my question is the main reason why I set up my boards acc to be fully honest!

I received a call this morning on my house phone from a person claiming to be from the windows technical support team telling me that my home computer is downloading harmful files and that I am not aware of this and he was trying to get me to download teamviewer which he said he could help me address these problems by him accessing and taking control of my computer once I downloaded the software. I was very skeptical as I have heard horror stories in the past of people getting phone calls and leaving people take control of there computers.

I asked him a few question like can you prove you are who u say you are and all he could give me was the end of the CLSID number once I ran " cmd"

I also asked him where his office was and he said Dame street……

If any of ye can help me and tell me if this sounded like a genuine call I would appreciate it.

Turtles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

If any of ye can help me and tell me if this sounded like a genuine call I would appreciate it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055837564

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Whatever you do don't do another thing this person has asked you!!!!!!!!

What he's looking to do is get access to your desktop through teamviewer to potentially find anything personal. Credit card details etc. Forget about it and install a free antivirus such as avast to ensure you don't have anything "harmful" on your pc yourself.

They all sound genuine thats how people get scammed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Turtles Run

Whatever you do don't do another thing this person has asked you!!!!!!!!

What he's looking to do is get access to your desktop through teamviewer to potentially find anything personal. Credit card details etc. Forget about it and install a free antivirus such as avast to ensure you don't have anything "harmful" on your pc yourself.

They all sound genuine thats how people get scammed!

Thanks Disco,

I thought as much. I ended up hanging up on him anyway as he couldn't give me any proof. He was also asian sounding so when he said he was situated in dame street it was the final straw!

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Run Turtle run :)

Advertisement