Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7 explorer 50/80 CPU after opening folder with Music in Wav format

• 01-07-2010 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi there!

This is really annoying me now.

I recently installed Windows 7 and now when I open a folder containing wav files explorer jumps up to 50 to 80 CPU usage.

The folder contains wav music files because I am converting them from 320 mp3, and FLAC to use in Ableton Live, which is a music workstation.

The folder it originally happened to came from my previous hard drive, which may have got damaged, so the files might be corrupt.. but this issue didn't happen with the folder in question after the hard drives incident (which may have resulted it having bad sectors), when I was using windows xp.

Recently I converted a FLAC file to wav using this new windows 7 install. When I tried to access the folder that it was put it, again explorer jumped up to 80 percent, dllhost.exe is also contributing the cpu strain, with around 30 cpu usage.

I googled this and I was recommend to download a patch for windows 7 which promised to solve the exact problem I had, it said something about explorer taking up CPU and corrupt wav files, however even after this fix, I am still having the problem.

Any one have any ideas? Its doing my head in.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Are there many files ? Do you need them all to be in the same folder ? Do you need to have the folder open ? Do you have the folder view options set to thumbnails ? Maybe W7 is reading all the files when you have it open.

I don't have W7, but these are just some ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Adren

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Are there many files ? Do you need them all to be in the same folder ? Do you need to have the folder open ? Do you have the folder view options set to thumbnails ? Maybe W7 is reading all the files when you have it open.

I don't have W7, but these are just some ideas

There are not many files in the one I recently put the converted FLAC to WAV, there were a few (30) in the other folder.

Yes I need them all in the same folder.

Folder view options is not set to thumbnails.

If I right click on the main folder containing all my converted music files to wav, and click add to VLCs playlist, and play them through that.. there is no explorer hike, so perhaps it is something to do with windows explorer reading the files all right.

Thanks for your reply!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

W7 is accessing the files and probably trying to build information on them like Artist, Track etc.

I'm sure there's a way to stop this, can't remember though.

Advertisement