Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patio doors - what type is best?

Options
  • 01-07-2010 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

We are thinking of having patio doors installed, never having had them before.

The two options we are looking at are a sliding door and hinged double doors. I can see pros and cons in each, but I would imagine the sliding door offer greater security. Also would it last longer than the double doors as it presumably has fewer moving parts?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sliding doors do need a bit of maintenance as the channels need to be kept clean and greased, but its a very minor thing. Sliding doors can be a bit heavy, a child would not be able to open ours. They take up considerably less space than opening doors though, and would not catch a through draught and slam.

There are some situations where opening doors would look much nicer, but on balance I think I would go with the sliding doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sanguine Fan

Thanks looksee. That's very helpful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

looksee wrote: »
    They take up considerably less space than opening doors though, and would not catch a through draught and slam.

There are some situations where opening doors would look much nicer, but on balance I think I would go with the sliding doors.

Sliding patio door means that only 1 door slides open,where as french double doors/patio doors both open out onto the back garden.More access space into and out of the house with french double doors/patio doors

Also with regards to the doors slamming closes,you simply fit sliders/catches that prevent the doors from slamming and also they are child friendly meaning no nasty cases of squashed fingers in the door.The doors stay open even if its windy.

In my opinion,sliding doors are now very dated and from the 1980s and not that nice,but thats just my own opinion.

Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I was looking at the french doors myself and them slamming in the wind was worrying me, didn't know there were fittings to stop this, would you have a link to details please?
    Would like to be informed when I go to buy.

Advertisement