Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veradkar replaces Coveney

Options
  • 01-07-2010 3:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

After 8 years in the job it was evident that Simon Coveney hadn't the first notion about any of Communications Energy OR Natural Resources and was furthermore not blessed with the talents required to actually manage a dysfunctional...if not afunctional...... mess like the DCENR were he ever made a minister.

There is some hope for his replacement, Leo Veradkar.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭clohamon

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    After 8 years in the job it was evident that Simon Coveney hadn't the first notion about any of Communications Energy OR Natural Resources and was furthermore not blessed with the talents required to actually manage a dysfunctional...if not afunctional...... mess like the DCENR were he ever made a minister.

All true, but I think he's a "competition will solve everything" free market liberal, so he should fit right in at DCENR.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

clohamon wrote: »
    All true, but I think he's a "competition will solve everything" free market liberal, so he should fit right in at DCENR.

So you predict a cognitive assonance meaning he won't even have to go native in there. I would dearly love to hear his views on the "New Era" fibre plan that Enda no doubt tossed in his lap this afternoon :D

The DCENR as we all know uses the "we have competition" myth blah blah blah as a prepack excuse for doing absolutely nothing where Veradkar actually believes that competition will invariably deliver something in a "we have competition" sort of way and could even spend 4 years as a minister hanging around in his lobby looking for evidence that bears his presumption out and sulking with and not talking to anybody who demonstrates comprehensive market failure .

What a simply delightful zero sum game. We should be completely bankrupt as a state by then.

So you predict a cognitive assonance meaning he won't even have to go native in there. I would dearly love to hear his views on the "New Era" fibre plan that Enda no doubt tossed in his lap this afternoon :D

The DCENR as we all know uses the "we have competition" myth blah blah blah as a prepack excuse for doing absolutely nothing where Veradkar actually believes that competition will invariably deliver something in a "we have competition" sort of way and could even spend 4 years as a minister hanging around in his lobby looking for evidence that bears his presumption out and sulking with and not talking to anybody who demonstrates comprehensive market failure .

What a simply delightful zero sum game. We should be completely bankrupt as a state by then.

New Era wont get out of the gate and not because Leo prefers competition. The difficulties in getting just two departments to cooperate on anything are well known. Throw in a few more departments, four or five semi-state companies and a few other agencies, as envisioned by New Era; all with their inviolable empires, petty vanities and mutual disdain, and he'll soon be either begging for a transfer or taking the advice of his senior officials who will offer to make it all go away if he will just wise up, restore the status quo ante, and do as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I'd like to point out that the E part is actually being run fairly well.:D Its the C&NR thats in tatters.

OnT, I don't think that Princess Leo would be in DCNER if there was an election won tomorrow. He is a good attack dog and DCNER is a good line of attack as its both topical and buggered.

Probably not much more to it than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Oh yes, the department of energy and its paragon of a regulator, the CER:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭trekkypj

I don't know if he'd be any better than Eamonn Ryan.

I hope once 2012 comes, whoever takes the job gets cracking on sorting out the mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭rob808

trekkypj wrote: »
    I don't know if he'd be any better than Eamonn Ryan.

I hope once 2012 comes, whoever takes the job gets cracking on sorting out the mess.
    I would'nt hold my breath on that ever happening in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

I've always considered whatever Minister is in charge is only a spokesman for the pet policies of that particular department. That seems to be the job and the only explanation I can think of for almost every politician going "native".
    So in effect Ministers are captured and neutered and can do and deliver nothing that was in their policy statement prior to them becoming a Minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You have been re-watching Yes Minister. :)

But I suspect the civil service runs the country. 3 to 7 years redundancy pay :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

watty wrote: »
    You have been re-watching Yes Minister. :)

:(

I always thought it was a documentary...

• Advertisement

Oh Oh. I don't think we'll be getting any help from Leo.

http://www.leovaradkar.ie/?p=1076
    Deputy Varadkar said:
    “Dublin accounts for a quarter of Ireland’s population but pays more than half of all the tax in Ireland.

“These figures are interesting for a numbers of reasons: First of all, they provide further evidence that Dublin is the powerhouse of the Irish economy and that it produces most of our wealth. It also confirms that economic development in Ireland is heavily and excessively concentrated around Dublin. It shows that our cities are the great generators of wealth and government revenue.

“This should be reflected in government policies. Strong, clean, well-run, liveable cities with good infrastructure don’t just generate wealth and economic activity for themselves. They also enrich their hinterland. City regions are the future internationally and in Ireland.

“Second, the figures hint that Dublin may not be getting its fair share of public spending and investment. Parts of Dublin benefit from LUAS and the DART and Dublin is home to many of our national institutions, international facilities and universities.

“However, Dublin also suffers most from overcrowded school classrooms and choked up hospitals and A&E Departments. It is home to many of the most disadvantaged communities in the country and the highest levels of crime. Public spending in Ireland is incremental with existing services getting an increase (or decrease) every year based on the allocation they got the previous year. This system does not reflect shifts in population that have occurred in the last few decades.

“Unfortunately, these figures are inexact for various reasons. Moreover, it has not been possible to get similar figures on public spending by county. I believe that the Government should ask the ESRI or a similar body to carry out a geographical analysis of tax collection and public spending in Ireland and how it relates to population, wealth and social need. It is long overdue and politicians need information like this so that we can make the right decisions for the country as a whole.”

EDIT

... and then there's this from a few days ago. Take your pick.

http://www.leovaradkar.ie/?p=1090
    “Fine Gael’s NewERA policy sets out how Ireland can kick-start work on a fast, reliable and cost-effective broadband network. Ireland cannot compete internationally with a broadband network which is stuck in the last century.

“Instead of having the third most expensive broadband in Europe, with the worst service, I want Ireland to be in the OECD top five for speed and cost-effectiveness. It’s a shame Fianna Fáil and the Greens just aren’t interested.”

Advertisement