Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chief Economists...

• 01-07-2010 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭

I've often wondered about this position. How many of these are employed by big private companies? One that I've wondered about is Rossa White of Davy, he seems very young for a position of this stature. I wonder what kind of qualifications are needed for this, experience, etc and what exactly their job entails?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

BESman wrote: »
    I've often wondered about this position. How many of these are employed by big private companies? One that I've wondered about is Rossa White of Davy, he seems very young for a position of this stature. I wonder what kind of qualifications are needed for this, experience, etc and what exactly their job entails?

Get a master's, work hard for five to ten years. That's exactly what Rossa did.

Their daily tasks vary from firm to firm. If you have a CEO who doesn't know his head from his arse (usually with an MBA from UCD, of course) then you can get away with crappy GDP forecasts once a quarter that you've bashed out on an Excel sheet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

Get a master's, work hard for five to ten years. That's exactly what Rossa did.

Their daily tasks vary from firm to firm. If you have a CEO who doesn't know his head from his arse (usually with an MBA from UCD, of course) then you can get away with crappy GDP forecasts once a quarter that you've bashed out on an Excel sheet.

I think I could just about manage that.

Where did Rossa work for five to ten years as a matter of interest? As in his starting position? I'm not obsessed with Rossa or anything, just using him as an example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

In Davy's all his career as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭Slippers 2

Where did Rossa work for five to ten years as a matter of interest? As in his starting position?

5½ years in Davy before he became chief economist, straight after an MA at UCD. Now in the NTMA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

Slippers 2 wrote: »
    5½ years in Davy before he became chief economist, straight after an MA at UCD. Now in the NTMA.

Do Davy's and the likes actually advertise positions such as "economist" at a graduate level or are you expected to start as an analyst or similar and work your way up to economist and eventually chief economist?

Wonder why he left for the NTMA...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Do Davy's and the likes actually advertise positions such as "economist" at a graduate level or are you expected to start as an analyst or similar and work your way up to economist and eventually chief economist?

Money and greater respectability.

The reasons I would leave anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭Slippers 2

Yeah, they do advertise economist at graduate level.
    job spec
    application form

Advertisement