Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rotating the monitor?

• 01-07-2010 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hallo all,

I have a 23" monitor and I want to rotate it so that it stands vertically. The only 'hole' for the stand to go in is on one of the horizontal sides though. Could anyone point me towards a type of bracket or some sort of machine that could support a monitor vertically?

Many thanks,

M

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

colferma wrote: »
    Hallo all,

I have a 23" monitor and I want to rotate it so that it stands vertically. The only 'hole' for the stand to go in is on one of the horizontal sides though. Could anyone point me towards a type of bracket or some sort of machine that could support a monitor vertically?
    Many thanks,
    M
    I have one monitor that does exactly this - flips around when needed. Its a Dell 1907FPV.
    See HERE
    Using it in vertical mode as I type.
    Great for long documents, websites and full page creation and publishing.
    Flips back for other viewing reasons when required.

This forum on it! (below)

Not sure about a bracket but others might be able to help there.

2dqlgd5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

This might be useful if you're near a Lidl next Thursday.

http://www.lidl.ie/IE/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20100708.p.LCD_TVMonitor_Swivel_Arm

Edit: Having had a second look at this I think that it doesn't actually rotate. It mentions three pivot points and I assumed one was for rotation but now I think it only swivels (horizontally not vertically)

Remember though that your graphics card software that is helping to display your images, must have the feature to rotate objects too (or use third party software).

Its easy to rotate a monitor using the above bracket but the image on it will rotate too physically so that needs to be able to rotate back to be able to view it in the correct orientation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Make and model of your Monitor?

Some monitors (e.g. my own Sammy 22") do not have VESA mounting holes on the back, so if I wanted to rotate my monitor I now have to search for a stand specific for my make/model of monitor. None exist. There are plenty of Monitor Stands/Mounts that offer 90 degree rotation as standard, but almost all of these generic ones use VESA holes and screws to mount the monitor on the stand. No screw holes, no rotation with a generic stand *read: Cheap* and you'll have to shell out for a manufacturer's stand *read: Expensive, if you can even find it*.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭colferma

Many thanks for the replies friends. My make and model is a Samsung 2333HD and it has the set of holes on the back of it, so I think a generic model will work. If it's true that the mount going in Lidl can't rotate, it's a shame; there's one just down the road.

I'm considering this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Desk-Mount-LCD-Monitor-Arm/dp/B000I2MEDG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278451378&sr=8-2

Maybe someone could offer an opinion on it? I know it's cheap, and the last thing I want is to buy a bad mount, hook the monitor to it, watch the monitor hit the deck and then find myself mountless and monitorless. That would indeed be a disaster.

M

• Advertisement

Highly recommend Ergotron, I remember I did my research and these guys came up top trumps.

I used their site to find out the cheapest model they have that'll do your monitor and it's the Neo-Flex 33-310-060:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ergotron-33-310-060-Neoflex-Stand-Black/dp/B000FLXW90

Based on your model they also recommend the following:

http://www.ergotron.com/Support/QuickFinderbyDisplayModel/tabid/387/ManufacturerID/1110/ModelID/21482/CategotyID/5/Default.aspx

I know it may sound too far fetched or hard work but is there any chance you (or someone) can build like a wooden frame made to the outside measurements of your monitor?
    Then place a strong length of wood across the back, from one side to the other (attached to the wooden sides so that the swivel device can be screwed into it - rather than the monitor itself (if that is dangerous or there is no holes, etc)?

Use cheap wood and a pit of paint, it might save you a small fortune too?

Just an idea. :)

Thanks for that recommendation Touching Virus, I really appreciate it. The one you pointed out is very reasonable -- 42 sterling on amazon.co.uk -- and it's particularly nice that they guarantee it'll work with my model (I just assumed my monitor was over 10kg but obviously not, since the 33-310-060 can only support up to 7kg).

Think I'll order it tomorrow.

M

Do shop around colferma, I don't work for Amazon or Ergotron so it makes no odds to me. I just know Ergotron are very popular in the LCD Mounting Business and my first search brought me to Amazon.co.uk - make sure to get yourself the best price, 'tis the recession after all :D

Indeed dell have it for 52e and free shipping, which may be safer if I have to send it back. Invisible hand tells me the amazon price is the best out of 2 it can find -- that's probably enough shopping around for now :]

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

Thanks for the info. TV - just found this thread and your recommendation was exactly what I needed.

Advertisement