Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

galway - dublin route help!

• 01-07-2010 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Cycling from Galway to Dublin this Saturday.

Last week I tried to drive from galway to dublin without going on the motorway. I got to ballinasloe easily then just kept winding up on the motorway????

does anyone know the name of the towns we need to head for when travelling from ballinasloe to dublin city???

Help is very much appreciated here.

Thanks,
    Bobby

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭RobBaxter

Also I planned the route on google maps but its too detailed to follow every turn every few meters...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Have you looked at a map?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Raam wrote: »
    Have you looked at a map?

I guess you have. What towns do you want to go through?

Just whatever is the quickest I suppose, ideally i would like to go on the motorway but you get in trouble from the po-po for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Ballinasloe - follow N6(Actually might be R336 now) signs. Kilreekle (Small place), Loughrea, Craughwell, Oranmore, Galway.
    http://maps.google.com/

That used to be the old Dublin/Galway route anyway.

• Advertisement

Yes I can get to ballinasloe fine but its the rest of the way i need some help with. ie. from ballinasloe to dublin.

Not sure which towns to be looking out for so that I dont end up on the motorway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

RobBaxter wrote: »
    Yes I can get to ballinasloe fine but its the rest of the way i need some help with. ie. from ballinasloe to dublin.

Not sure which towns to be looking out for so that I dont end up on the motorway

Google maps
    Directions Galway-Dublin
    Select "Walking"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭fago

Coming out of ballinasloe towards Dublin you have to take the 2nd exit on the roundabout to get onto the motorway about 1 mile outside of town.

Straight through that roundabout keeps you on the old road. Its well signposted.

I'd be tempted to plan an alternate route as the N6 is wide, pretty boring and there's no shelter in the wind.

Sorry, picked you up wrong.
    Head for Athlone via the R362. Theres not many "bigger" places on that road to athlone. Check out the map for a few place names.
    After athlone head for Moate via R444, Horseleap, Kilbeggan, Tyrrelspass (I think), Rochfortsbridge, Milltown pass, Kinnegad, Enfield, Maynooth.
    Check the map, its handy enough see the route on it through those places.

Ok, thanks guys.

Just looked up google maps there. think I got it now...

Tullabeg - Togher - Ballycumber - Kilbegan - Tyrellspass - Rochfortbridge - kinnegad - clonard - Enfield - Kilcock - Lexip - Cleebridge - Lucan

Does this seem right to people??

Any handy suggestions?

Cheers,
    Bobby

• Advertisement

Ok, thanks guys.

Just looked up google maps there. think I got it now...

Tullabeg - Togher - Ballycumber - Kilbegan - Tyrellspass - Rochfortbridge - kinnegad - clonard - Enfield - Kilcock - Lexip - Cleebridge - Lucan

Does this seem right to people??

Any handy suggestions?

Cheers,
    Bobby

Looks good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I'm looking to walk in the opposite direction this September and this is the route that I'm planning.

Lucan → Edenderry → Tullamore → Ballinasloe → Athenry → Galway

In more detail:

Lucan R403 Celbridge R403 (Straffan) Clane R403 Prosperous R403 Allenwood R403 Windmill Cross Roads R403 Derrinturn R403 Carbury R402 Edenderry

Edenderry R402 Ballyfore R402 Ballyhugh R402 Killoneen R402 Daingean R402 Ballinagar R402 + R420 Tullamore

Tullamore R421 Screggan N52 Blue Ball R357 Cloughan R357 Clonony R357 Shannonbridge R357 Cloonfad R357 Old Town R357 Ballinasloe

Ballinasloe R348 Garbally Demense R348 Kilconnell R348 Clooneymorris R348 New Inn R348 Kiltullagh R348 Esker R348 Athenry

Athenry R348 + R446 Oranmore R338 Galway

It's not the fastest route I'm sure. Going through a lot of smaller towns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm looking to walk in the opposite direction

mixed_nuts.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Blorg and Tiny attempted Dublin-Galway-Dublin (IN ONE GO!). There's a pic of the route they took at the end of the thread.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055413136

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Lumen wrote: »
    mixed_nuts.jpg
    Tell me about it. It'll take at least a week. It's for charity and lots of silly things get done for charity. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 irol

All I can suggest is from Enfield to Dublin, I cycled it last week. It's exactly 40km from there to the Phoenix Park. A little after Enfield, you turn left onto the minor road to Kilcock (can't miss it as the motorway is straight ahead). From here it's a straighforward run through Kilcock, Maynooth and Leixlip. After Leixlip you rejoin the N4 just after the motorway ends (though the traffic naturally is very heavy here anyway, keep your wits about you).

As others have said, the old Athlone - Dublin bus route used to go through Rochfortbridge, Moate, Kinnegad, Enfield etc. I'm not sure what the story with Athlone - Ballinasloe is now; I drove it for the first time in a year a few months ago and had no idea that it was all motorway now.

Advertisement