Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

15 months - Chatterbox at bed time!!

• 01-07-2010 5:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

My little fella of 15 months will not stop talking!!
    It's very cute but he uses it to delay bed time!! We put him into the cot, and honestly he would stand up in the cot for over an hour just chatting to himself! It is always happy chat with a few giggles thrown in. Occasionally I go in and put him lying down again and that stops him for a few minutes but then he's off again......:rolleyes: :D
    Is this normal or is he trying to tell me something?
    There have been nights when I've put him to bed at 8pm and he's chatted constantly until nearly 10pm! Help please !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

It's normal! My 18 month old uses it as a delay technique too, because if she talks she knows she'll be listened to!!

My father tells me I was the same at that age and I actually used to sing "baa baa black sheep"... he also told me that I cottoned onto the fact that if I sang the song wrong he would always correct me too, so I would sing "baa baa black sheep any any wool" and he would reply "HAVE you any wool" and I would sing it right once and then go right back to the wrong way... He says I used to torment him with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Nicki123

I just read an article today that suggests that at that age babies practice their speech when by themselves in their cots and recap their days adventures for themselves. It's called cot-talk apparently. Sounds plausible to me! Here's the article - it's actually from a Pampers update that's emailed to me.

What's going on inside that little head?

IT'S NOTHING PERSONAL Don't take it personally if your baby says "Dada" before "Mama" - it's only natural. "Mama" will come in time, so don't try to push him. The second year is full of challenging behaviour such as temper tantrums and refusals. Your child is testing your limits: "How far can I go to get what I want now". At this age your child finds it hard to understand that some things cannot be had immediately. Do take note of how he communicates, and be reassured if he gestures effectively and understands simple, single requests like "Go and get your shoe." Listen to what he says when he is alone in his cot: Children practise language and review their exciting experiences through "cot speech." You'll hear elements of the day's events, your own "no's" and even voice imitations as your child works at consolidating all that he's learning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Oh my God - thank you both so much! At least I know this is perfectly normal!! He was at it for almost an hour and a half last night. I try not to respond and just go in to the room, lie him down and leave again, but it's hard not to smaile and join in because it just sounds so funny!!
    Thank you ! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My 18 month old goes to her cot and tells her teddy all about her day. It is so funny to listen too because among the babbling you can here the few words she has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

God, I adore the babbling. I could listen to it all day!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Vel wrote: »
    God, I adore the babbling. I could listen to it all day!

Even at six in the morning when you're wrecked tired, it always puts a big smile on my face!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

my little one is 20 months and she babbles every night for an hour or two when I put her to bed, it's very funny to listen to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Karlos13

I've twin boys that chat to each other some nights. I thought it was funny until one started calling the other bold and making him cry.

Karlos13 wrote: »
    I've twin boys that chat to each other some nights. I thought it was funny until one started calling the other bold and making him cry.

:( Aaw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

My son is 17mo and doesnt have any English, but mother have mercy can he talk (not in any recogizable language but still) he talks to his teddys, the wolf calender on the wall, even when I am reading his bed time story he never shuts up :) )

The babbling is the most adorable thing is the world, especially when its to the gerbils. What makes it worse is the damn gerbils just go on their back legs and stand there listening to him!!!!

• Advertisement

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    The babbling is the most adorable thing is the world, especially when its to the gerbils. What makes it worse is the damn gerbils just go on their back legs and stand there listening to him!!!!

:D:D

Advertisement