Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

social welfare officer calling out to home

• 01-07-2010 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭mercer

hi all.

on the 18th of may 2010 I applied for job seekers benefit. yesterday (31st of june 2010) I received a call from a social welfare officer saying that she wants to call around to my home to talk about my application for dole.

I have never heard of this happening to anyone and am really confused as to why its happening?! what exactly does she want to talk about and does she want to look around my home??

if anyone can fill me in if they had a similar experience that would be great!
    thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

mercer wrote: »
    hi all.

on the 18th of may 2010 I applied for job seekers benefit. yesterday (31st of june 2010) I received a call from a social welfare officer saying that she wants to call around to my home to talk about my application for dole.

I have never heard of this happening to anyone and am really confused as to why its happening?! what exactly does she want to talk about and does she want to look around my home??

if anyone can fill me in if they had a similar experience that would be great!
    thanks.

she will look around just to make sure you are not cohabiting if that is what you put down on your application, she will proberly want have a look around the whole house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

gustafo wrote: »
    she will look around just to make sure you are not cohabiting if that is what you put down on your application, she will proberly want have a look around the whole house

I wouldn't take this advice to be 100% accurate. I don't think it's very constitutional for them to do this. If you are being investigated for cohabiting especially, how the hell can the enter another persons room? It's not legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭mercer

that sounds terrifying. i share a house with one other person (not cohabiting) and i dont want a stranger looking around my house. isn't that against my rights? i'm an irish citizen, unemployed, living independently of parents and should be entitled to the dole as I have paid tax for a number of years before being unemployed. i dont understand why someone is coming out to my house and i'll be really pissed off if they want to poke around my whole house.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

which did you specifically apply for?

Benefit or Allowance, the Dole is Allowance, Benefit is your stamps which is your PRSI you have been paying if you have been working.

jobseekers allowance

• Advertisement

jobseekers allowance

well thats the payment thats means tested so I would presume they wish to ensure the information you provided on your form is correct.

so they wont be looking around my house?

I would presume it is to verify details in the form you completed, if you do a search on threads on this forum I am sure you will have people who have had SW inspectors call to their house for same thing, perhaps ring your local Citizens information centre or check their website to see what it says about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

From what I know, they don't look round your house, they just do a sit-in interview with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Its more of an interview, but they want to see if what you claim are your means are actually your means. etc.

You and thousands of others going through the exact same procedure.

Its usually no hassle and only takes a short while.

What are you so worried/annoyed about?

aww thanks everyone. i was freaking out thinking some randomer was gonna go through all my stuff! does anyone know if its soon after this interview that i will get the dole payments? i've been waiting over a month at this stage and am getting into debt!

aww thanks everyone. i was freaking out thinking some randomer was gonna go through all my stuff! does anyone know if its soon after this interview that i will get the dole payments? i've been waiting over a month at this stage and am getting into debt!

You'll be backdated to the day you made the claim at least. If you are in need of cash now you could call to your local Health Board as they can sometimes sub you til the payment goes through.

Turnaround times are totally office related. Depends where you claimed etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I wouldn't take this advice to be 100% accurate. I don't think it's very constitutional for them to do this. If you are being investigated for cohabiting especially, how the hell can the enter another persons room? It's not legal.

How is it unconstitutional?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I would presume they'd need a Garda search warrant.

Stark wrote: »
    I would presume they'd need a Garda search warrant.

No. What warrant would they get? If you dont like it done ask for the money. How else do you expect social welfare to eliminate the abuse of the system if not to inspect places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

k_mac wrote: »
    No. What warrant would they get? If you dont like it done ask for the money. How else do you expect social welfare to eliminate the abuse of the system if not to inspect places.

Dead right dude because i actually know a person who had a visit from a SW inspector and they did want to have a look around the house

obviously i dont mind her looking in my room, my kitchen etc. but obviously i cant let her look in my housemates room.

umm... well i asked for the money because i need the money. i have no job after working for a good few years and i feel as though i have paid tax - and will get another job and continue to pay tax, so why shouldn't i ask for the help. i just didn't know someone was going to call around to my home and wanted to know why and what would happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

From http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Topics/payments/Pages/SocialassistancePayments.aspx:

When you apply for a means-tested payment, a Social Welfare Inspector will ask for details of your means. The Inspector may do this at your local Social Welfare Office or may call to you at your home. The Inspector will need to ask you for details about the items that count as means.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1993/en/act/pub/0027/sec0212.html
    The above link shows the duties of a Social Welfare Inspector.

umm... well i asked for the money because i need the money. i have no job after working for a good few years and i feel as though i have paid tax - and will get another job and continue to pay tax, so why shouldn't i ask for the help. i just didn't know someone was going to call around to my home and wanted to know why and what would happen.

I'm not saying you shouldn't ask for it or get it. I'm saying you shouldn't complain if they want to make sure you are not lying by visiting your home. My real problem is with the suggestion that this would require a warrant and be a breach of the constitution.

I'm not saying you shouldn't ask for it or get it. I'm saying you shouldn't complain if they want to make sure you are not lying by visiting your home. My real problem is with the suggestion that this would require a warrant and be a breach of the constitution.

so because I asked for the dole... I essentially have no rights and should allow a stranger poke around my house. and also if you look at the first post I wasn't complaining, I was asking what will happen when the visit takes place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I understand your concerns mecer.

In fact, the possibility of a home visit is the reason I probably won't be able to make a claim for JSA myself when I need to in a few weeks.

I will be unemployed from the 31st July for 3 and a half weeks - I have a job lined up from the last week in August. I am looking for work to fill the gap, but realistically, it is unlikely I will get a job for 3.5 weeks. I don't have enough PRSI contributions for JSB (as far as I know), so I would need to claim for JSA.

My situation is that I live with my grandmother - in her house. I would not be claiming for rent allowance. However, my grandmother has become quite odd in her old age and absolutely will not allow anyone other than a select few (her children and me) into her house. She will not allow anyone else beyond the front door. If a social welfare officer wanted to visit me at home I would not be able to bring them inside.

So basically, I don't think there is any way I can claim for JSA despite the fact I need it desperately.

How is it unconstitutional?

I dunno, something to do with an inspector inspecting your whole place of residence. If I come home from work, and find a man in my closet, he will be getting a swift kick up the hole.

:rolleyes:

You think it's not a breach of the constitution? For somebody to enter your home and search your room for "evidence", is that ok with you? Especially when you are not a claimant? It's not with me. It's breaking a law or two to say the least ;)

In fact, the possibility of a home visit is the reason I probably won't be able to make a claim for JSA myself when I need to in a few weeks.

I will be unemployed from the 31st July for 3 and a half weeks - I have a job lined up from the last week in August. I am looking for work to fill the gap, but realistically, it is unlikely I will get a job for 3.5 weeks. I don't have enough PRSI contributions for JSB (as far as I know), so I would need to claim for JSA.

My situation is that I live with my grandmother - in her house. I would not be claiming for rent allowance. However, my grandmother has become quite odd in her old age and absolutely will not allow anyone other than a select few (her children and me) into her house. She will not allow anyone else beyond the front door. If a social welfare officer wanted to visit me at home I would not be able to bring them inside.

So basically, I don't think there is any way I can claim for JSA despite the fact I need it desperately.

I think you can claim for the 3.5 weeks. You will get JSA, but the inspector doesn't always call out the the house. He more than likely won't be calling out within the 3.5 weeks.

Iamxavier social wlfare inspectors do not come out to poke around any closets. I have no idea where you got this impression from. They are well within their rights to call to your stated address to meet with you and interview there, which is basically as much as they do. They will ask who you live with etc. But they don't ask to see the bedrooms of those people. You have slated social welfare inspectors before - they are just doing their job for which if you read the link I posted above they have every right to do. Not only that if you refuse them entry your claim may not be allowed for non disclosure of means. If you wont allow them entry of course they will ask what have you got to hide. It's a means tested payment so it's up to you to comply in order to get paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

I'd guess that your gran is also claiming benefits as live alone person, and may not appreciate a visit from an inspector, either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Bogger77 wrote: »
    I'd guess that your gran is also claiming benefits as live alone person, and may not appreciate a visit from an inspector, either.

No she is not - but nice of you to assume! She doesn't appreciate a visit from ANYONE and just about tolerates close family members.

Bogger77 infracted.
    MissLockhart if you have an issue with a post please report it and don't drag the thread off topic even further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Please; explain that to the SW officer; this must be a situation they have met before. You need the allowance and it is your right. Ask the Citizens' info also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Basically they call to see that you actually live at the adress,They are not searching the gaff ,they may ask a few questions ,where did you live before this, where did you work be4 etc its nothing to worry about .When you sign on ,you give them permission to visit you,and ask for certain info, like whats your work experience, qualifications etc
    its like if i go to a bank i need to give them id,birth cert etc i cant go in and say i am mr x open a bank account but d,ont ask me for id or any personal info.The social welfare are supposed to follow strict data protection laws ,they d ,ont share this info unless the dpp takes a case against you for tax fraud or money laundering etc.
    They are not gonna look under your bed for hash or search the house.

so because I asked for the dole... I essentially have no rights and should allow a stranger poke around my house. and also if you look at the first post I wasn't complaining, I was asking what will happen when the visit takes place.

When you apply for rent allowance the CWO visits the house .. did not enjoy it but it was not too intrusive.. he was pretty rude as it was a poor house, but had to be done.. soon over and done with! He just stood in doorways and shook his head!

Need to keep a sense of proportion...

ricman wrote: »
    Basically they call to see that you actually live at the adress,They are not searching the gaff ,they may ask a few questions ,where did you live before this, where did you work be4 etc its nothing to worry about .When you sign on ,you give them permission to visit you,and ask for certain info, like whats your work experience, qualifications etc
    its like if i go to a bank i need to give them id,birth cert etc i cant go in and say i am mr x open a bank account but d,ont ask me for id or any personal info.The social welfare are supposed to follow strict data protection laws ,they d ,ont share this info unless the dpp takes a case against you for tax fraud or money laundering etc.
    They are not gonna look under your bed for hash or search the house.

makes me feel so much better. thanks!

gustafo wrote: »
    cAr0l wrote: »
    Iamxavier social wlfare inspectors do not come out to poke around any closets. I have no idea where you got this impression from. They are well within their rights to call to your stated address to meet with you and interview there, which is basically as much as they do. They will ask who you live with etc. But they don't ask to see the bedrooms of those people. You have slated social welfare inspectors before - they are just doing their job for which if you read the link I posted above they have every right to do. Not only that if you refuse them entry your claim may not be allowed for non disclosure of means. If you wont allow them entry of course they will ask what have you got to hide. It's a means tested payment so it's up to you to comply in order to get paid.

I got it from the post above. The general consensus is that the welfare office is not a pleasant place to be, as they generally hold a condisending tone when talking to you, treat you like crap etc etc. I have every right to express my opinions towards them for past experiences. It's not a personal thing against any one person. I have come accross some very nice people in there, but the bad experiences far outweight the good. I am also begining to think that there is no order, structure or any training undertaken in any of these offices as many officers haven't the slightest thing of what they are talking about. You are told one thing by one officer and another by the next. Serious lack of continuity. Which has directly caused me problems in the past. Yes I have made complaints which are normally met with blank faces. I don't think it's in the job description to be rude and obnoxious to people.

I have no problem with a social welfare inspector comming to my house, to inspect me or anybody else living here. They are more than welcome to pop their head in my bedroom, presenting any of my documents, bills lease agreement etc etc. The link you posted is good but has a lot of crap in it, like most legal documents, that the average joe won't undestand.
    Graces7 wrote: »
    When you apply for rent allowance the CWO visits the house .. did not enjoy it but it was not too intrusive.. he was pretty rude as it was a poor house, but had to be done.. soon over and done with! He just stood in doorways and shook his head!

Was he shaking his head because the house was in bad shape or was it for something else?

i didn't apply for rent allowance.. i applied for job seekers allowance

• Advertisement

Some of the welfare officers can be a bit rude,some are very polite,as far as i know the point is to check that you live there, not to be racist theres alot of
    fraud going on from certain people ,who claim dole from adress x and live in adress y with their girlfriend or family so i think they have to check up on where people live. maybe he was shaking his head cos the decor was in bad taste ,70s wallpaper and furniture
    the first time you claim they call around its standard operating procedure for jobseekers allowance.

ricman wrote: »
    Some of the welfare officers can be a bit rude,some are very polite,as far as i know the point is to check that you live there, not to be racist theres alot of
    fraud going on from certain people ,who claim dole from adress x and live in adress y with their girlfriend or family so i think they have to check up on where people live. maybe he was shaking his head cos the decor was in bad taste ,70s wallpaper and furniture
    the first time you claim they call around its standard operating procedure for jobseekers allowance.

That's 100% and I have absolutely no problem with that. It's good to see them actively searching for fraudsters. It's more of a problem now than it was 4 or 5 years ago, in the sense that the country is in a lot of trouble now. Some people imply that they will search your presses, wardrobes etc. That's what I would have a problem with, but Carol cleared that up. It's nice to know your rights in these situations so you are not abused. You know?

The inspector would have got some shock if he came to the house I lived in last year, torn lylo (sp?) in the kitchen, oven had no door, the glass in the back door was broken, carpets were worn down and manky, old appliances etc etc. My room was very clean though :P

Flats are inspected by someone from the corporation in regard to basic standards,storage, ventilation etc many flats have never been inspected .
    They make sure you are living at adress x,it just makes it more difficult for false claims ,i presume.And they want to make sure you are not living with your family,if so you get a lower payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

I'd remove the dead body from the wardrobe, and the dirty jocks off the floor, if I were you!

testicle wrote: »
    I'd remove the dead body from the wardrobe, and the dirty jocks off the floor, if I were you!

HA. dirty jocks... i'm a girl so umm... no jocks to be had. the body however, is a different story.

• Advertisement

HA. dirty jocks... i'm a girl so umm... no jocks to be had. the body however, is a different story.

Nice :pac:

Was he shaking his head because the house was in bad shape or was it for something else?[/QUOTE]

Not sure...

He was very pleasant when I went to his office but when he came, he was cleary in a Very Bad Mood.

It was a poor cottage but the limit here is E85... You cannot get much for that. It had central heating etc.

The next time we moved he was in an even worse mood too and very rude to the point of abuse. Did not even look round that time either....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭wellieboot

Was it a Community Welfare Officer from the HSE or a Social Welfare Officer that called?

Was he shaking his head because the house was in bad shape or was it for something else?

Not sure...

He was very pleasant when I went to his office but when he came, he was cleary in a Very Bad Mood.

It was a poor cottage but the limit here is E85... You cannot get much for that. It had central heating etc.

The next time we moved he was in an even worse mood too and very rude to the point of abuse. Did not even look round that time either....[/QUOTE]

Report him. There is no need for that kind of ignorance. People are having a hard time as it is without arseholes like that. Tell them you are sick of being treated like dirt by him. Record letters or anything like that just in case your claim is changed, delayed or other.

Not sure...

The next time we moved he was in an even worse mood too and very rude to the point of abuse. Did not even look round that time either....

Report him. There is no need for that kind of ignorance. People are having a hard time as it is without arseholes like that. Tell them you are sick of being treated like dirt by him. Record letters or anything like that just in case your claim is changed, delayed or other.[/QUOTE]

We thought about that.. But waited..

It was just before Christmas..

Now my eligiblity for RA is being challenged... so once more I am dealing with him.....If he says one wrong word THIS time that is IT. Trying to find and finance a new home is bad enough without more hassle. Thankfully it will hopefully be out of his patch ;)

so the welfare officer called around this week - here's how it went:
    she was unbelievably rude first off, which made me really nervous. she cut me off when i was explaining this, she was very snippy and rolled her eyes a few times.
    she had loads of paper work with her which were copies of my application, she asked for my date of birth etc... then she asked about who i was living with.
    i live with a male housemate - my best friend who i've lived with for about four years. she asked were we in a relationship, i said no. she asked if it were a two bed apartment - i said yes. she did not look around the apartment, she stayed in the living room. then she asked how i have been paying my rent for the past two months, how i have been buying food etc. then she wanted to know the breakdown of the rent... this is where things got messy...

my housemate and i split the bills 50-50, but the rent is not. he pays more then i do. so she said that he was subsidizing me and his means needed to be tested, despite the fact that we are not in a relationship! so i had to provide her with a copy of his pay slip and three months statements from his bank account.

i rang up citizens information and according to their calculations based on his pay i will be given 62euro per week in job seekers allowance. i haven't gotten a letter from the social welfare yet to say whether i will be getting anything or not, but to say the least... the "system" in operation in this country is so confusing its infuriating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

If you are not in a relationship with your flat mate then they have no right to means test him against your JSA I would be questioning the inspector and making a complaint that this was done in that way you are an individual who is single and your flat mates income is nothing to do with you

I was in similar situation years ago living with a guy not in relationship and had to go on dole when they asked for his stuff he told me where to go and as I wasnt in a relationship had no right to his income told SW this and they ended up having to deal with me as an individual as that is what i was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭flutered

they will try any which way to knock your payment down, throw a few fffs into them like i done one time, if they are been rude so should you, they do everything they can to make you feel guilty for applying, then when you get a pittance you will feel glad and so you will not appeal it.

yeah i know exactly why they are rude, i know that they treat applicants as though they have no rights... but i have always found civil servants to be this way. i doubt they will ever change their ways.

she said i have to submit his stuff for testing despite the fact that we are not in a relationship because the rent is not evenly split. and because we're best friends, and because he is an extremely understanding person he got all that stuff for me within 24hours. so looks like i will send it in because if i were to appeal it, it would take forever (another reason civil servants are irritating - blatant laziness). i am seriously in debt now. so i cant wait around.

i did say to her that it was unfair for me to submit his things... but she said if the rent were 50/50 this wouldn't happen. took all my strength not to tell her where to go.

Could you not say he pays more as his room is bigger or something?
    It's none of her business :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement