Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nuig arts subject choices

• 01-07-2010 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

wanna teach geography and economics and buiness at second level so after first year will keep geography and economics but what are two other easy subjects to just do for first year and do the first year subects let you teach them after just one year doing them thinking about .... either human rights ... it and sociological and political studies ... any help thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

king999 wrote: »
    wanna teach geography and economics and buiness at second level so after first year will keep geography and economics but what are two other easy subjects to just do for first year and do the first year subects let you teach them after just one year doing them thinking about .... either human rights ... it and sociological and political studies ... any help thanks:)

Ask on the NUIG forum, they will know the easiest:)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mr_november

Soc & Pol is supposed to be easy but to be honest 1st yr in Arts is a walk in the park compared to the LC!! You can learn the whole semesters course the week before the exams with a bit of cramming :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    I think there's a kind of unofficial understanding that if you take a subject for first year then you might be allowed to teach it up to Junior Cert if the school is stuck...
    I took Maths, Irish, Geography, and History for 1st yr and plannin on keepin on Maths and Irish and then going teaching too! Irish was probably the hardest of them...was my worst result even though I got an A2 in LC...but then I missed a heap of lectures and found it boring as hell so didnt work at it ;);)

What subjects did you take for the Leaving? Soc & Pol mightnt stand to you if you go on teaching compared to if you took history or some other second level subject...!! Doesnt really make much difference though!! My advice would be to take whatever subjects you think you'd be interested in...better chance of you getting up to go into a lecture that you find interesting compared to one you hate!
    Also keep your options open...I was certain I wanted to go teaching this time last year...I'm having second thoughts already!!

You have 2 weeks in the beginning of the year before you have to decide which subjects you pick...you can go to different lectures and see what they're like and then decide!! Another tip...do try out different subjects...I knew what I wanted to do so didnt bother sampling others and kinda regret it now!!:mad::mad: If you want to know anything about what you'd be doing in any of my 4 subjects let me know!!;);)

:cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭king999

thanks for your help feel alot better about..... it is corrib village best spot to live in first year just wonder is it a long walk from from the building for arts is used

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

Ive been wondering this too, Im plannin on doing Geography too, along with Archaeology... I assumed something like psychology would be fun and easy, I plan on taking the easiest ones, so unnecessary to do 4 >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mr_november

No bother! Eh dont know much about Corrib Village...I went for the private accom cause it was a bit expensive for me! Its supposed to be great craic and meeting new people etc etc...have you applied for Corrib or just thinking about it? Corrib is a biteen of a walk to the concourse and Arts/Millenium buildings where most arts lectures are on (Google maps reckons 1.3km) but theres a bus service that runs between Corrib and the college for you anyways!!;) Think it runs ever-so-often during the day.

@ Muffinz: From what I've heard Psychology isn't the easiest...that might be because people havn't any foundation in the subject compared to some other subjects so they're starting from scratch. But if you think you'd be interested in it give it a go! If you dont think it'd be interesting and just choose it because it might be easy, there are easier one I think!!:rolleyes::rolleyes: I did Geography for 1st yr even though I didn't even do it for the Leaving Cert (and I only got a C in the JC:o)...twas handy enough!!;);)

:cool::cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

muffinz wrote: »
    Ive been wondering this too, Im plannin on doing Geography too, along with Archaeology... I assumed something like psychology would be fun and easy, I plan on taking the easiest ones, so unnecessary to do 4 >_<
    Muffinz, psychology is NOT easy, even in first year, partly because there are only a small number of places in second year, so first year tends to be very competitive.

For someone thinking of teaching, though, it might be useful in that it would give you a grounding for the subject when you encounter it again in the PG Dip. in Ed.

Advertisement