Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charged for GP visit related to pregnancy.

Options
  • 01-07-2010 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi there,
    Just wondering if anyone can clarify what is covered re GP visits while you are pregnant?
    I visited my GP when I first found out at approx 4 wks, she took a urine sample, told me what I already knew and charged me €60. I signed up for the Maternity and Infant scheme that day and was told I had free GP visits during the pregnancy as long as it was pregnancy related. I haven't had to visit her since. I decided to go Private, as I'm 39 on first baby so have been with consultant in Holles St twice since and all if fine, tg.
    I am now 18 weeks and visited my GP this morning. It was a little issue (which I won't go into here in too much detail as it's a bit embarrassing!), she took one look and said "Don't worry, it often occurs in pregnancy, nothing you can do about it, harmless etc...". On the way out I was charged €60. I am really upset about this- so much so that I am thinking of changing to another gp even though I know that's not ideal during the pregnancy.
    Does anyone have experience of this? It seems that it varies from one doctor to the next- some don't charge at all and others seem to be very strict that it has to be a scheduled antenatal visit. I would really appreciate your experience and comments.
    Thanks a million.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Hi and congratulations ;)
    I know that when you go public you have 6 free gp visits, any out of hours (gp) visits are paid for by you as are any additional visits that aren't schedules by the hospital.This is part of the shared care scheme..

As for private, i'm not sure but i would imagine it would be part of the over all cost of the care which i assume you can claim back. I doubt that free gp care is part of private care but i could be wrong..

You should query it with your gp but i'd say once you're private you pay for everything and then claim back..

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭D rog

No you can definately still do combined care (incl. the GP) and be private with the hospital. I've done it twice!

After you filled in the combined care form, have you gotten a letter back to say you are approved? If not maybe this is where the confusion is and you need to chase it with the HSE?
    If you did get the letter, then just ring the secretary and explain you were charged wrongly and collect a refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

D rog wrote: »
    No you can definately still do combined care (incl. the GP) and be private with the hospital. I've done it twice!

After you filled in the combined care form, have you gotten a letter back to say you are approved? If not maybe this is where the confusion is and you need to chase it with the HSE?
    If you did get the letter, then just ring the secretary and explain you were charged wrongly and collect a refund?

thats right, gp should have given you a white card that gets filled in at every appointment with both gp and obstetrician. After the pregnancy the gp takes a copy/portion of the card and claims back for all the appointments. Hopefully it was just an error on the part of the receptionist?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

my gp charged for the first visit also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Cuppa72

Thanks a million for the replies- really appreciated. I am not actually doing combined care as such beacuse my consultant charges an astronomical fee (in my humble opinion!!) of €4,600 regardless, i.e. no reduction for combined care. So I thought I was better off going to him seeing as I'm paying anyway. Does that exclude me from the M&I scheme then, just because I'm going private. That doesn't seem fair.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I forgot to answer D Rog: Yes, I received a letter back from HSE to say I was on the scheme. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I had that too during my pregnancy, though think it was my own fault.
    Had to go to the GP because of bad piles (sorry tmi :o ) which were most definitely pregnancy related!

When I went out to the reception, the receptionist asked me was it an Ante Natal appointment and I stupidly said no so she charged me.
    I was half asleep at the time (long day) and walking like John Wayne, mind wasn't really awake! I thought she meant was it one of my appointments where the doc had asked me to call in like that'd be covered only

I suppose I can't complain really as I know a lot of people end up getting charged for their first appointment and she didn't charge me, covered it on the combined care scheme :)

Might be no harm mentioning it to the receptionist when you go back next time?

Congrats on your pregnancy :D all the aches & pains are worth it in the end ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭D rog

I thought combined care and M&I were the same scheme? If not then just fill out the forms for combined care too, and do it alongside your private Obs- it costs nothing more for you and then you get your GP Visits free.
    Cuppa72 wrote: »
    Sorry, I forgot to answer D Rog: Yes, I received a letter back from HSE to say I was on the scheme. :-)

OK, so you should be covered then if you're approved, ring the secretary and ask for a refund :p

I think they all charge for the first visit as you aren't covered at that stage.
    It's once you get the HSE approval you're covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭AmcD

I work as a GP. If you signed the M+I form you are covered for free GP visits during your pregnancy for antenatal care. You can do combined care or just visit the odd time if you want. It doesn't matter whether you are going private, semi-private or public. Most private patients tend to stick with their consultant for most of their care because they are paying significant fees for antenatal care with the consultant.
    Non-pregnancy related GP consultations are not covered e.g. chest infections etc, but all pregnancy related visits are covered e.g. kidney infections, thrush, piles (all the usual glamour).
    Unfortunately with most GP computer systems, the fact that you are attending for an antenatal visit will probably not be obvious to reception. Most receptionists seem to be very good at remembering who is pregnant. Once you have a visible bump things are more straightforward and it will be assumed you are attending for antenatal care.
    I would suggest that you bring up the consultation charge that you paid at your next antenatal visit. It sounds like you were charged in error.

Thank you all very much for your replies. Thanks AMcD for that clarification. I actually received a refund from the doctor. I called HSE and spoke to very helpful guy on M&I scheme and he confirmed my name is on the list and I should not have been charged. I called doctor and she (reluctantly I have to say!) refunded the €60. I'm sure she think I am a right crank! Anyway, was glad to get it sorted. Thanks again for advice. :-) (Still thinking of moving Doc but that's another story...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Just to add that GP visits in pregnancy are only free after 12 weeks, so for most women the visit to confirm the pregnancy and get booked in with a consultant will have to be paid for unless you have a GP/medical card. 6 visits are included in the scheme, but if you become ill during pregnancy you are allowed further appointments free. I had high blood pressure and had to get checked twice a week - I would not have been able to afford that if I'd had to pay. I'd say I saw my GP at least 15 times, only had to pay for the first time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have the hse letter here received last week -

"The services to which you are entitled free of charge, are 7 antenatal visits (including 1st visit before 12 weeks),plus two week post natal check for baby and six week check for mother and baby."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

they all seem to be different. My gp when pregnant with my son on 2006, in dublin CC, did not see the combined care patients. They had a midwife who did because 'otherwise they could not afford to participate in the scheme'. It made no diff to me, but at the hospital I was also on the midwife clinic and when they heard what gp was doing said I would have to be seen by either a gp or a consultant on alternate visits, not all midwifes. I shut up after that and saw very little of doctors.
    With my daughter in 2008, i had change location and gps and he admonished me for not seeing someone at least once a month! he was not happy i had gone for my 12 week check in hospital and rolled up to him at 20 weeks or so and seen noone in between. He is the same this time, told me to come in every 4 weeks.
    I said fine, its up to him as i am on the combined care scheme.

Advertisement