Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mustard and Malt brine for pickled beets

Options
  • 01-07-2010 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

I'm not yet sure how good it is - needs a few weeks to mature, but this is the brine I used for my first batch of pickled beetroots.

Now, this brine is fairly sharp - as beets themselves are quite sweet.

I think the gang over at gardening will get more usage out of it, but this is what I tried out today

Before you do a brine yourself, do a bit of research, I went with what I had in the house.
    But there are tons of delicious polish type pickle blends on the net, particularly from the American Polish community.

The only vinegar I could find locally - this time - was Chefs malt vinegar, but I will be using cider or wine vinegars down the road.

Certainly, in theory, I could make my own cider vinegar from local apples, so the next batch will be done with cider vinegar, but shop bought.

Anyone know of a cheap suplier in Galway???

Test as you go, balance it up to suit your palette, its very easy to vary.
    If you want a sharper taste, add lemon juice or more vinegar, a sweeter taste add more sugar or honey.

When tasting, take very little brine in the spoon, have a glass of water on standby and try not to inhale the steam, trust me, its an eye watering lung buster.

This is enough for 3x370gm jars, standard jam jars.

MUSTARD AND MALT BRINE

300ml distilled malt vinegar
    200ml malt vinegar
    250ml water
    4 tablespoons Lakeshore wholegrain mustard with Guinness- or mustard seed if you like
    1 heaped tablespoon of salt - Try to find non-iodized sea salt
    4 heaped tablespoons sugar
    1 tablespoon honey

These are the spices I used for this batch
    4 bay leaves
    4 cardamom pods
    4 cloves
    4 sprigs of fennel (these were thinning's)
    1/2 lemon, quartered
    1 chili
    1/2 inch ginger
    2 cloves garlic
    1/2 teaspoon of:
    mixed spice
    ground coriander
    pepper corns
    Tarragon
    Dill seed

Bring to the boil until sugar and salt well dissolved.
    MAKE SURE THE WINDOW IS OPEN IN THE KITCHEN - the vinegar can be bloody strong when boiling.

Step by step to pickling beets with this recipe

A good youtube vid on pickling

A fairly comprehensive step by step to pickling, or canning as our american cousins say

Advertisement