Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recruitment Freeze

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Hi everyone.

You may have noticed some of your posts have been deleted.

We all say things we don't mean to say in the heat of the moment, or when the chips are down. It's so easy to just read something the wrong way, and when that's combined with feeling really low, we can say things we later regret and feel sorry for.

I believe everyone deserves a second chance, especially when we consider how the recent news has left so many of us shell-shocked.

I have the utmost respect for anyone who admits they were wrong and offers to wipe the slate clean, and I will always do everything I can to help someone rectify their mistakes on this forum.

Thanks for reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭stillhopful

"The PSNI have advised us that the suspension of Recruitment is an interim measure, pending a review of affordability in light of anticipated cuts to public sector budgets. As this position is not yet clear, we have been asked to progress the conclusion of the current campaign as planned."

Just read this on the PSNI website, and must admit, although initially a bit downheartened by the announcement, it is totally outside anyone (outside of Stormont and downing st) control.

This is the second time I applied, first was back in 2000 - 2001, when I was turned down becuse I'm diabetic - now that was a real kick in the nuts, to get right through and for them to then tell you that an illness that I had no way to avoid, was the reason I couldn't do the job I'd always wanted. So I finished uni and then started working, here I am now, medical in 2 weeks, and I'm just taking it one day at a time. But just a quick word to everyone, keep the chins up and try and stay positive. This isn;t the end of the road, just a minor detour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

Cashflow,on reflection the comments I made were over the top and unnecessary.

I can only put it down to frustration at the current situation.It was by no means personal.I think Ill have to lighten up when others speculate and offer thoughts as there is going to be a lot of it before we see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Can I take this opportunity to wish you all the best in GV.

Hey guys

Hopefully someone will be able to clarify this for me as I'm uber confused!

Sat my AST at the start of June and received my vetting papers about 4 days later and then a pass letter confirming I'd passed AST a week or so later, then a couple of days after that my medical date.

My medical date is in a couple of weeks, but with this whole freeze I'm not really sure where I'm at? If I pass it, do I then go in the freeze - if so when it ends do I then just pick up from there with the same merit pool number (how do I find that out by the way? )

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 skatestraight

Hey guys

Hopefully someone will be able to clarify this for me as I'm uber confused!

Sat my AST at the start of June and received my vetting papers about 4 days later and then a pass letter confirming I'd passed AST a week or so later, then a couple of days after that my medical date.

My medical date is in a couple of weeks, but with this whole freeze I'm not really sure where I'm at? If I pass it, do I then go in the freeze - if so when it ends do I then just pick up from there with the same merit pool number (how do I find that out by the way? )

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Stillhopefull - i'm not sure how you got a medical so quick considering vetting normally takes a minimium of 1-2months by the time they check you never mind your family details - concerns me how quick ya got it!

So far i did my AC in the middle of May, within a week i recieved both the pass letter and vetting pack. I will be surprised if i get a date for the medical but by the way i read the page from deliotte today i beleive the PSNI are proceeding with the vetting and medicals in order to draw up the list before the freeze then depending on the budgets they will go from there from this new list. Time is no problem just as long as you know for certain ur going to get in.

Once you receive your feedback from deliotte you will be able to make an informed guess as to how likely that is.. Deliotte pass scored i believe is normally around the high 40's mark.. 45-48 but that does not mean you have made it through thats just their score, the PSNIs mark is normally in the mid to high 50's - 54 up. So you will be better informed at the end of august when you receive your feedback.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Stillhopefull - i'm not sure how you got a medical so quick considering vetting normally takes a minimium of 1-2months by the time they check you never mind your family details - concerns me how quick ya got it!

Most people get called for medical while their vetting is ongoing.You are not required to pass vetting before you get a medical date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 skatestraight

Theretically would that not be a waste of money to give someone a medical if they do not pass the vetting? I'm not fully aware of the processes, but by others i know that have got into the PSNI they all seem to think, its one step at a time. IST, AC, Vetting, Medical, Merit List, then appointments.

Awk well lets play the fine waiting game until we either receive word from the PSNI or our feedback sheets from Deliotte.

I was surprised as anyone to get the forms through so quick!

Just picked up my MHQ .................£35!!!! I near soiled myself!

If I do get in, first thing is to investigate my GP, as they were wearing masks and strpy jumpers when I handed over my cash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Adolphus

Theretically would that not be a waste of money to give someone a medical if they do not pass the vetting? I'm not fully aware of the processes, but by others i know that have got into the PSNI they all seem to think, its one step at a time. IST, AC, Vetting, Medical, Merit List, then appointments.

Awk well lets play the fine waiting game until we either receive word from the PSNI or our feedback sheets from Deliotte.

Not necessarily, most people will have their medical either passed or failed well before they find out about their vetting (as it can take months to process) also, I knew my merit placing before I even got the forms for both medical and vetting. You could be number one on the merit list and not get appointed if you then fail either of these.

I was surprised as anyone to get the forms through so quick!

Just picked up my MHQ .................£35!!!! I near soiled myself!

If I do get in, first thing is to investigate my GP, as they were wearing masks and strpy jumpers when I handed over my cash!

You Northern folks are spoiled with your free GP visits - poor Southerners cough up every time . Last year one girl in Norn Iron got screwed by her GP on her MHQ - charged her £STG 80 ! I think she did soil herself :D

• Advertisement

Can someone enlighten me, what is a MHQ?? :D

MHQ = Medical History Questionnaire , sorry - if you didn't know that then you have failed the test :D

Might also mean Medical Health Questionnaire but I prefer the first one

Failed what test?? You've me worried now! Is this coming from medical forms or is this on your AC pass letter or what? Because I never got medical forms before the freeze, only got my pass letter last Thurs so I'm hoping that's where this is from!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Bubbles34

Failed what test?? You've me worried now! Is this coming from medical forms or is this on your AC pass letter or what? Because I never got medical forms before the freeze, only got my pass letter last Thurs so I'm hoping that's where this is from!:confused:

delancy is only jesting pluginbaby. There is no test.

Ok, got my deloitte letter today (as I assume everyone will) and someone on the medical thread got their medical forms today. So it looks as if they are going to take C16 a bit further then!

Perhaps they've just done all this for a bit of jest? Some do have a twisted sense of humor, I once got breathalysed after someone went in the back of my car, the officer told me I'd failed............but I hadn't had a drink for 3 weeks! He said he just wanted to see my reaction!

Bubbles34 wrote: »
    delancy is only jesting pluginbaby. There is no test.

Ok, got my deloitte letter today (as I assume everyone will) and someone on the medical thread got their medical forms today. So it looks as if they are going to take C16 a bit further then!

Aah thank god for that, really was concerned there! I did wonder what was with the :D face after it! I'll remember that delancey... one day we'll all be in gv together , I will have my revenge :D that was cruel lol

That medical form is a surprise for sure, atleast things are still happening, how far though is the question!

Perhaps they've just done all this for a bit of jest? Some do have a twisted sense of humor, I once got breathalysed after someone went in the back of my car, the officer told me I'd failed............but I hadn't had a drink for 3 weeks! He said he just wanted to see my reaction!

You think thats bad ? I have a friend who was in the Met , when recovering stolen vehicles he found it highly amusing to ask innocent members of the public for help in pushing them and when that was done he would produce his handcuffs and say '' thanks for leaving your fingerprints on it '' :D He said it was sickeningly funny but he always had a warped sense of humour.............

Aah thank god for that, really was concerned there! I did wonder what was with the :D face after it! I'll remember that delancey... one day we'll all be in gv together , I will have my revenge :D that was cruel lol
    /QUOTE]

Ach , pity that - I was going to post about psni adding to his list of stupid reasons people leave GV - item 11 '' Did not know what MHQ was '' - that would really have freaked you out plugin :p:D
    I suppose this cursed freeze has everyones nerves jingling and jangling.

delancey42 wrote: »
    You think thats bad ? I have a friend who was in the Met , when recovering stolen vehicles he found it highly amusing to ask innocent members of the public for help in pushing them and when that was done he would produce his handcuffs and say '' thanks for leaving your fingerprints on it '' :D He said it was sickeningly funny but he always had a warped sense of humour.............

:D That's just brilliant that is!

Having just got my little Deloitte letter today and getting to read it myself in full, and hearing word on here about medicals being sent out again, I'm tempted to think they are going to finish off this campaign up until the point where calls would normally start going out, so that in the autumn if by some miracle the budget isn't as bad they can continue on. Or if it is as feared and the freeze is put well and truely on for a year or however, they are in the best possible position to jump straight back into recruitment as soon as it's lifted again.
    But still I'm not allowing myself to get my hopes up :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

As pluginbaby says I got that the letter today for Deloitte also. Just to clarify will they continue with the whole recruitment process & then put everyone on freeze or will the recruitment process just pause now or does anyone even know?

Thanks everyone

:D That's just brilliant that is!

Having just got my little Deloitte letter today and getting to read it myself in full, and hearing word on here about medicals being sent out again, I'm tempted to think they are going to finish off this campaign up until the point where calls would normally start going out, so that in the autumn if by some miracle the budget isn't as bad they can continue on. Or if it is as feared and the freeze is put well and truely on for a year or however, they are in the best possible position to jump straight back into recruitment as soon as it's lifted again.
    But still I'm not allowing myself to get my hopes up :rolleyes:

You know the saying - '' Hope for the best but prepare for the worst ''

As pluginbaby says I got that the letter today for Deloitte also. Just to clarify will they continue with the whole recruitment process & then put everyone on freeze or will the recruitment process just pause now or does anyone even know?

Thanks everyone

Well all AC's have continued as scheduled but that was not surprising. Interestingly today a number of people got invited to medicals - the first medical invites since the freeze was announced. Have not heard of any vetting forms being received in last few days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 marymulr

No vetting or medical letter as yet.... Or Deloitte letter...:confused:

I wouldnt worry about the Deloitte letter.I think they are across the board.Yours will come soon Im sure.Probably done in batches.

Am I wrong that those invited for medicals sat their AC very soon within the process?Could this be significant?

It would be interesting though if someone had received vetting forms who had attended the AC since the announcement was made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 marymulr

cesc77 wrote: »
    I wouldnt worry about the Deloitte letter.I think they are across the board.Yours will come soon Im sure.Probably done in batches.

Yeah, I'm sure its on its way. Post down here couldnt be any worse so whenever I'm due to get it you can guarantee it'll be a week later !!!!!

Well folks, yet more recruitment freezes announced across the water, biggest of all Strathclyde, it was always plan b for me :(
    Thought I would chuck up some articles here for anyone who's interested...

Press release from Strathclyde's website:
    http://www.strathclyde.police.uk/index.asp?locID=1524&docID=7894

Herald Scotland article containing the rest of affected forces:
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/police-forces-freeze-recruitment-1.1041120

Seems to be pretty much the same story as we have, effective immediately, people currently within the process stuck in limbo, last planned training intakes going ahead, only from the first article it would appear that when they finish training they will also be on hold until vacancies arise naturally rather than starting anyways.
    Which would lead me to question will those in the last intake to Garnerville be starting straight away after training despite the freeze, or will they too be on hold then??

I think we can take it that for now opportunities in British forces will be limited if not non-existent. Considering that The Met has virtually frozen recruitment it is very difficult to see how the smaller regional forces would be recruiting on any reasonable scale.
    I think that for now the closest many of us will get to the Police is watching ' The Bill ' ( and that gets axed in September :rolleyes: ).

delancey42 wrote: »
    I think that for now the closest many of us will get to the Police is watching ' The Bill ' ( and that gets axed in September :rolleyes: ).

Now that will be bad times indeed! I'll have to start watching Hot Fuzz over and over again...
    "Have you ever fired two guns whilst jumping through the air?"
    "No."
    "Have you ever fired one gun whilst jumping through the air?"
    "No."
    "Have you ever been involved in a high speed pursuit?"
    "Yes I have."
    "Have you ever fired a gun whilst in a high speed pursuit?"
    "NO!"
    Ah bless that film :D

But yeah, looks like there's going to be absolutely zero chance of any wannabe copper anywhere getting to make it so until the government wins the lottery or something! I swear, you'd wonder how it could be so hard to get a job that so few people would ever even contemplate wanting, especially over here :rolleyes: Makes it all the sweeter when you do get it I suppose!

So they want a freeze on new recruits.Over 70 officers injured over the last few days,with shots fired at the police and the cost of this behaviour running into 8 figures.Genius.
    Was it Adams that said"they havent gone away you know"?The puppeteers pulling the strings and setting the traps who have their human rights to fall back on.
    I think it was the head of the police union(not sure exactly)who said that at least 1,000 extra cops are needed,as there is no longer the support from the armed forces.
    Sure....these are times of peace...arent they?Whatever can he mean?
    A summer of this would surely fasttrack any contingency money to defrost the current process.Dont get me wrong. I have no desire to see this on our streets,but am just thinking out loud about the possible implications for future recruitment drives and yes,the present one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

Now that will be bad times indeed! I'll have to start watching Hot Fuzz over and over again...
    "Have you ever fired two guns whilst jumping through the air?"
    "No."
    "Have you ever fired one gun whilst jumping through the air?"
    "No."
    "Have you ever been involved in a high speed pursuit?"
    "Yes I have."
    "Have you ever fired a gun whilst in a high speed pursuit?"
    "NO!"
    Ah bless that film :D

But yeah, looks like there's going to be absolutely zero chance of any wannabe copper anywhere getting to make it so until the government wins the lottery or something! I swear, you'd wonder how it could be so hard to get a job that so few people would ever even contemplate wanting, especially over here :rolleyes: Makes it all the sweeter when you do get it I suppose!

I think they are all doing it as an interim measure...it will look good for when the budgets are drawn up..the fact that there are 17,409 Polis in Scotland beggars belief, that is actually way too many...considering that The Garda has like 15,000

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭thebakerboy

Cesc I think most of us feel the same and our thoughts are with the injured female officer and her family. As with all the injured officers and those who are having to deal with it.

I was watching the news and all it did was confirm why I wanted to sign up. Its our responsibility to look after our country and protect it from people intent on ruining it.

Cesc I think most of us feel the same and our thoughts are with the injured female officer and her family. As with all the injured officers and those who are having to deal with it.

I was watching the news and all it did was confirm why I wanted to sign up. Its our responsibility to look after our country and protect it from people intent on ruining it.

I can only imagine what it must've been like for her family to be watching that happen to her on the news, then hearing people cheering it. My best wishes go to all the officer injured over the past few days and their families also. We can only hope arrests get made inparticularly over the attack on the female officer and somebody gets charged for attempted murder for that. Anything less would not be right.
    I was watching it with the folks and my ma just turned to me "you seriously want to be in the police??" I actually couldn't respond to her with anything but "yep" It's hard to describe your reasoning when you're watching something like that. But it definately strengthened my desire to be in the police, nothing will ever deter me.

You would like to think that the past few days would go a long way to showing the government that cuts to the PSNI are just a bad idea. I know that all police forces are facings cuts, but some, like the Scottish are probably warranted and they could deal with it with more ease than others. But I really do believe that forcing the PSNI to be stretched even further than it is already will cost lives in the end. They need to see sense, and exception needs to be made here, the PSNI have a very tough and unique job on their hands compared to other forces.

Sadly,these people escape the justice system and I would be willing to bet that the person who attempted to murder the officer mentioned will never see a cell for this offence.The police appeared to be a target with no force in which to repel/disperse/deter the rioters.
    This is the world we live in now.(at least within this country)
    I am in agreement with you plugin,that this is what I have always wanted to do and a riot situation ...or worse...will never put me off

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭VES86

i was asked the same thing today, do i really want to join?...my answer hell yes, i want to play apart in making the community safer and getting these ignorant little scumbags off our streets.

you join the police knowing the danger on the job, to your personal safety off duty and the constant threat of living in this wee country, if anyone has been put off by this years 12th weekend then the jobs not for them, because its not going to go away and is going to get much worse again before it gets better.

its scary but its the exciting challenge that we all want

Aha , I was wondering when the ' Elephant in the room ' of the troubles of the last few nights would be raised.
    I think the Police did a fantastic job of it - they showed great restraint and that is so vital - the instigators of these disturbances want the cameras to show poor civilians being bashed with batons and dragged off by the hair so they can say '' the Police did this to force an Orange parade through '' - that did not happen , they did not get the propaganda victory they wanted .
    Whoever came up with the idea of showing the footage from the Police chopper deserves a medal - it was a brilliant piece that showed what thugs were involved and the Police acting with restraint.

It's worth reflecting that the Patten Commission visited big American cities like Chicago , Boston , Philadelphia , etc and in all those cities Police policy was that persons armed with petrol bombs are classed as using a deadly weapon and accordingly can be met with deadly force.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

I was also thinking that perhaps the recent trouble MAY force people to question the current recruitment freeze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Mal85

any of you guys ever concidered the military police army&raf both have it. thought i would mention it, as a number of people seem really keen on joinning a police force.

I think I'm in the same position as a number of other people on here. The recent coverage and outbreak of (lets face it, pointless and needless) violence, has done nothing to dampen my enthusiasm. In fact it's only served to increase my desire to join!!

Anyone else finding the recent coverage and events, has helped increase the frustration attached to this recruitment freeze?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Bubbles34

cesc77 wrote: »
    So they want a freeze on new recruits.Over 70 officers injured over the last few days,with shots fired at the police and the cost of this behaviour running into 8 figures.Genius.
    Was it Adams that said"they havent gone away you know"?The puppeteers pulling the strings and setting the traps who have their human rights to fall back on.
    I think it was the head of the police union(not sure exactly)who said that at least 1,000 extra cops are needed,as there is no longer the support from the armed forces.
    Sure....these are times of peace...arent they?Whatever can he mean?
    A summer of this would surely fasttrack any contingency money to defrost the current process.Dont get me wrong. I have no desire to see this on our streets,but am just thinking out loud about the possible implications for future recruitment drives and yes,the present one.

What I was thinkin pretty much word for word.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

1986j wrote: »
    I was also thinking that perhaps the recent trouble MAY force people to question the current recruitment freeze

That was my thinking.

As bad as the trouble is, it my be a bonus to us. If you know what i mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 okies

hi guys i got my pass letter on Wednesday and just wondering "IF" i do get vetting forms how long have people been waiting for untill they recieved them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 lauralush04

okies wrote: »
    hi guys i got my pass letter on Wednesday and just wondering "IF" i do get vetting forms how long have people been waiting for untill they recieved them?

I got my pass letter 2 weeks ago today and am still waiting for vetting forms :( not sure if thats me out of the game or what , as ive heard it does take around 2 weeks to receive them.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭thebakerboy

The freeze announcement seemed to slow everything up. I thought the same passed about 2 weeks before the freeze, forms came yesterday.

First time at this stage but are the PSNI likely to send out vetting forms to people who have passed at Deloitte's mark but not the expected merit pool mark?I figure they have a mark in mind for it but can adjust and send out forms to people who had not reached the expected mark if more people are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

Yes - I also considered MOD police who currently have a freeze also.

I was on the list of interested potential entrants for the raf police - got e-mail to say applaications would open the next day. I completed the online application within 22 hrs of it opening (would have been done sooner but had to check a copule of things like medical no. which I did not have to hand). A couple of weeks later I got an e-mail saying they already had enough applications and mine was not being considered.

So I'm still on the list to be notified when it opens again - unfortunately you can only be on the list for one role at a time.

I am in the unfortunate position where there are quite a few public jobs I'd like to do, and competition for all of them is fierce, and they rarely recruit.

I'd most like PSNI, but would go MOD Police or RAF Police (Bonus would be getting to work with dogs much sooner and easier), prison officer, firefighter (civvi of military).

Would hate tp msis it if application process for one of these was open....

Advertisement