Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adult Learner?

• 01-07-2010 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

:D Well here goes! Im in my lates 40s and never learned to ride a bike. I lived in city centre near shops, school, etc. and me and my friends just never had one? I have four kids now who are all bike mad and I envy them heading out on theirs. What are the chances I could learn now? Anyone out there learn from scratch and I mean absolute never sat in the saddle scratch in later age? I would love to hear from you if so or any advise about how I could learn now to keep that middle age spread from spreading more?:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Cycling a bike is the easiest thing in the world. Just find someplace quite to start. It will mostly be about confidence for you. Good luck and enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Try freewheeling first. Find a gentle slope and let the bike run downhill naturally with you keeping your feet off the ground and a hand on a brake lever. Once you're confident and feel in control, lift your feet and start pedalling gently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

You'll be grand. My mother took up ice skating in her late 50's so you shoud be able to learn how to cycle:). Just don't ask Denis Menchov for any tips on staying upright.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

bacopa wrote: »
    :D Well here goes! Im in my lates 40s and never learned to ride a bike. I lived in city centre near shops, school, etc. and me and my friends just never had one? I have four kids now who are all bike mad and I envy them heading out on theirs. What are the chances I could learn now? Anyone out there learn from scratch and I mean absolute never sat in the saddle scratch in later age? I would love to hear from you if so or any advise about how I could learn now to keep that middle age spread from spreading more?:eek:

First off, well done. I know nothing about learning as an adult, but the current best thinking for teaching children is to take the pedals off a bike and drop the saddle down far enough so you can sit on the saddle and have both feet on the ground.

Then it's a case of just practising getting your balance by 'scooting' around.

Once you've got balancing under control, put the pedals back on. Gradually raise the saddle to a more cycling comfortable position.

I'd suggest learning on a mountain bike or a hybrid, rather than the more 'forward' position of a road bike.

DFD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Coronal

Well done on making the decision to start!

I learned from scratch as an adult (20 years old). Basically, what DFD said is what I did, though I found it useful to have the pedals on to give an initial push and then just coast along. Having something around to grab onto in case you start to fall is also really good, takes away some of the fear of falling! Or do it on grass for some cushioning.

Be stubborn and you should get the hang of it pretty fast :) Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 bacopa

thanks everyone, at least I know now I do have a chance of learning and I am stubborn:D I will give it a good go and put in the advise you gave me - thanks again;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

It will probably take a bit of time, but once you get going you'll love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Riding a bike is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. Ensure you have the correct equipment, keep you helmet clean, straddle her saddle, balance yourself well, gently easy yourself away, maintain a steady rythmn and once your are used to it, ride her as fast and often as you can.

_38793297_swisstoni_bbc150.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

If you feel the need for a bit of professional help http://www.rothar.ie/Cycle_riding_classes.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

If you feel the need for a bit of professional help http://www.rothar.ie/Cycle_riding_classes.html
    was just going to say the same thing, anne in there does the teaching and is very nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Piercemeear

I almost envy you. It's going to feel utterly magical. So many things we learn as children get swallowed up in the newness of everything at that age. Through adult eyes, cycling for the first time is going to seem shockingly fun and fast and freeing.

Advertisement