Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pushy "Windows Certified Company"

Options
  • 01-07-2010 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

Just got a phone call there from some lady (middle-eastern), anyway she asked what Windows Operating System I use, I told her, then she started asking me to log onto my computer as it could be getting damaged by the accumulation of files or some crap.

Had a similar call a few weeks back but they just asked has there been any computers with my computer and I said I didn't and that was that. But well the one today wouldn't let it go, I said I had no problems and well if I did that I'd sort it myself or ring Windows myself.

Anyone have similar calls?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Its a big scam. You can read about it here http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055837564 Theyre just trying to separate you from your cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Just got a phone call there from some lady (middle-eastern), anyway she asked what Windows Operating System I use, I told her, then she started asking me to log onto my computer as it could be getting damaged by the accumulation of files or some crap.

Had a similar call a few weeks back but they just asked has there been any computers with my computer and I said I didn't and that was that. But well the one today wouldn't let it go, I said I had no problems and well if I did that I'd sort it myself or ring Windows myself.

Anyone have similar calls?

Not I. But it's a known scam operation. Had you entertained her, you would have been asked to pay for a cleanup operation that is quite useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

SCAM!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

It's a well known and widely used scam. Some comany called PC doctor or some random crap call saying they're certified by windows(not microsoft???) to service your PC. People give them remote access and they run a virus or malware checker which inevitably shows up something and then ask you to pay for a clean up.

It's not that they're definitely offering a dodgy service cause a most PC's out there could do with a clean up, but while they have remote access they could be doing anything. Not to mention giving credit card details to a cold caller is really silly but they do try and prey on older people who wouldn't be so computer literate.

Tell eveyone you can about the scam. It's been printed in the Irish Times but they are obviously still getting some business if it's this persistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

PC Doctor, that's the one.

I knew straight off it was a scam, but was just making sure people hadn't got mugged by this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

This crowd are really getting around. Even my Ma got a call from them. She refused to even switch on the PC and even went as far as unplugging the ethernet cable so they couldn't do anything. :D A friend of mine got a call from them and decided to let them talk. They opened up Event Viewer and tried to convince him that all of the errors in there where one bit went left instead of right were serious and offered to fix it for a fee. He declined and let them go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I just heard today my Nanny had 3 calls from these in the last week, the 2nd time my Garda uncle was there and told her it was a known scam, the 3rd time my mam was there and took the phone and gave them a piece of her mind, hopefully they wont be annoying my nan anymore, sure she wouldnt even know how to turn a computer on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

I'd love to get a call from them, I'd just open up my VM and waste there time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Just got a phone call there from some lady (middle-eastern), anyway she asked what Windows Operating System I use, I told her,
    Don't give any information to anyone you do not know. Not until you know who they are and what they want.

Advertisement