Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I despise the preponderance of articles like this

• 01-07-2010 6:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭

http://dating.ie.msn.com/edito/index.php?mtcmk=280095&name=18/117/517-31-things-women-wish-men-would-not-do-on-a-date.html

these type of articles are in every newspaper/magazine/tv show and they are an insult to all of us

they elevate women to a higher more special status than men, they assume from the outset that man is ignorant lousy wastel and woman is virtuous godess...they are everywhere

they insult our very notions of equality, they insult the worthy ideals of feminism and while on the surface they may seem to be in support of women, the subtext suggests that women are weak vulnerable creatures that need men for protection and fulfillment.

This kind of guff insults both sexes yet the proles lap it up

your views please - have I am mental illness or am I onto something?;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Trivarion

It's rubbish alright, which is not that surprising for an article about dating, especially one which is entitled "X things ....". The general theme of not being rude, discourteous or stupid on a date applies equally to both genders. 7 made me laugh though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

6. Suggest going for a curry. Look, she feels fat enough already. If you must have food, have something light. A light dinner will also leave her feeling more lively later, if you know what I mean.

I got to this one and realised it has to be a p**s take so didn;t go further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

14. Take her to the pictures and talk throughout the film (especially if it’s a Matt Damon film, and you feel moved to recall his “role” in Team America).

MAAAAAATTTT DAAAMON!!! :D

That king of crap is thrown at men too in the likes of Maxim and FHM.
    I remember one of them saying that only real men get contract phones because she'll think you're cheap with a pay as you go.....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm female and I'd describe that as a "fluff" piece, i.e. some journo was having a slow day and decided to come up with this.

Heck between date one and two, I did at least half of those things with my current bf.

I'd file such things under "nauseating irrelevant drivel" and not worry over much :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

In basic terms: what a load of crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Googled the author. She's also done one for women too.
    http://www.datingwithoutdrama.com/content/men%E2%80%99s-top-20-date-breakers-jane-hoskyn

Men’s top 20 date-breakers - Jane Hoskyn
    Sun Feb 07 2010 - 07:32 pm

Something I found on the MSN Website, maybe helpful:-

Men aren’t supposed to be choosy. Your average bloke is commonly reckoned to be up for anything with anyone, as long as she’s female and breathing.

Oh really? According to the male daters we spoke to, there are plenty of ways to send a chap running scared before you’ve even bought him a drink. Let’s begin with their number one date-breaker…

1. “I’m fat enough already”
    Don’t wreck a promising first date by refusing his offer of dessert because you’re on a diet. If you’ve got a bit of a belly, he probably won’t notice. If you bang on about your bit of a belly, and refuse to eat anything, you’ll kill your chances of getting a second date.

2. Too much make-up
    The men we spoke to all said that they preferred a natural-looking face to a caking of slap. A bit of concealer and mascara is all you need. Girl’s World make-up spells “high-maintenance” – and any man will wonder what horrors you’re trying to hide under that mask.

3. Getting too cosy too quickly
    A first date is just a getting-to-know-you session. You’re not in a relationship yet, so don’t plan out your joint future when there’s still froth on his first pint. If you start saying things like “I love New York, we should definitely go there one day” or even “my mum would love you,” and the poor man is likely to recoil in terror.

4. Swearing
    Chucking around the F-word is a turn-off for both men and women, so hold that tongue.

5. Babbling
    Do men really still believe that little (and not-so little) girls should be seen and not heard? Some do, but most just want to get a word in edgeways. “I like a girl who can hold her own in conversation,” says Rob, 28. “But if she won’t shut up, it makes my brain hurt.”

6. Unexpected surprises
    If you meet a man online and arrange to see him in person, make sure that he’s not in for any nasty shocks. Such as your real age, or the fact that you have two kids and an estranged husband. Most men wouldn’t be put off by the truth, but they would be put off by discovering that you lied.

7. Too much booze
    That extra pint or three may help to steady your nerves, but it’ll do nothing to get you laid tonight. Horizontal, but not laid.

8. Making him do all the work
    No man wants a woman to talk all over him, but he doesn’t want to do all the talking either. Help to fuel the conversation with some questions about himself. The more interested you are in him, the more interested he’ll be in you.

9. Tight-fistedness
    Don’t run to the loo when it’s time for the bill to arrive. At least offer to pay your way. If he really likes you, chances are he’ll want to treat you – but let that be his decision.

10. Ex-talk
    If you can’t help talking about your ex on a first date, you might as well turn up wearing a T-shirt that says: “I may be spending this evening with you, but later I will cry into my pillow about the man who broke my heart. Possibly before or after I’ve had sex with you. Maybe even during.”

11. Talking about your best male friend
    To your date, your best bloke buddy is a love rival who wants to get inside your knickers. Introduce your male friends with great caution – especially if you’ve ever dated them.

12. Talking about your previous date
    If you’re nice about previous dates, he’ll worry that he doesn’t match up. If you’re nasty about previous dates, he’ll worry that you’ll be nasty about him to the next bloke you go out with. Besides, he doesn’t want reminding that he’s just one of your many men.

13. Talking about your dad
    First rule of new boyfriends: he is scared of your dad. He’ll like it if you have a good relationship with your parents, but a Daddy’s girl is not sexy.

14. Over-sharing
    He’s your potential shag, not your therapist. Many of us have had breakdowns, divorces and all manner of dark days. But keep schtum about this stuff until you know the guy better.

15. Getting his name wrong
    A blow too far for even the sturdiest dating ego.

16. Answering your mobile
    So you’ve had a drink and a chat, you’re now enjoying a romantic dinner, and it’s all going brilliantly – until your phone rings, and you answer it. What possessed you?

17. Asking: “What are you thinking about?”
    No man wants to be asked this question without warning, especially on a first date. It’s impossible to answer honestly, because he’s probably thinking about the itch on his foot or the weird hinge on the table.

18. Mentioning babies in any context whatsoever
    If you’re under 45, keep any baby-related thoughts to yourself. To a man, any mention of a baby is the sound of your biological alarm clock going off in his face. He will only want a second date if he, too, is desperate to spawn an 8lb version of himself.

19. Failure to laugh at his jokes
    He really, really wants you to think he’s funny, so laugh with him – even if you find his jokes as funny as mould. Men love women who share their sense of humour even more than they love women who can put their ankles behind their ears.

20. Phoning him on the way home
    Don’t believe all that rubbish about refusing to return his calls. If you like him, phone him. Just not while he’s still digesting his beer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

6. Suggest going for a curry. Look, she feels fat enough already. If you must have food, have something light. A light dinner will also leave her feeling more lively later, if you know what I mean.

I got to this one and realised it has to be a p**s take so didn;t go further.

The first one did it for me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Ant

No. 1: 15 mins late?:eek:
    I've learned that it's best not to keep anyone waiting for any kind of appointment, ever. Nobody appreciates it.

The only half-way useful tip was No. 28:
    Pay up this time, and say: “you can treat me next time.” If she likes you, she’ll be tickled by the veiled request for a second date; if she doesn’t like you, at least she’s had a free dinner.

Advertisement