Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mathematics in Trinity College

• 01-07-2010 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hey everyone, I was wondering what Mathematics as a single honours degree is like at Trinity.

Any information from ex or current students would be appreciated.

I would like to know absolutely anything about it and the career oppurtunities after graduation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

ozzz wrote: »
    I would like to know absolutely anything about it and the career oppurtunities after graduation.
    This shows what graduates have gone on to do the last few years
    http://www.tcd.ie/Careers/resources/publications/

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ozzz

thanks!

Any info about the course from current students would also be useful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

I can get you exam papers. That's all :ohttp://www.tcd.ie/Local/Exam_Papers/summer_nonTSM.html

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Those exam papers look seriously complicated! I'm sure they'll make a lot more sense having done the course! Maths in TCD is my number 4 choice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

It's my number 1 CAO choice, but I'll only do it if I miss out on my UCAS choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Actually, how do the two systems work out in terms of offer dates?

Actually, how do the two systems work out in terms of offer dates?
    I've already got my UCAS offer, I'll get the place if and when I get the results AFAIK, as it is a conditional offer.

I also heard something about them confirming places in early August, before we get our results, so I'm not really sure which is correct and how they'd confirm Irish applicants before the results actually came out, unless they got to look at them early, which'd be weird.

Either way, it's before the CAO offers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I've already got my UCAS offer, I'll get the place if and when I get the results AFAIK, as it is a conditional offer.

I also heard something about them confirming places in early August, before we get our results, so I'm not really sure which is correct and how they'd confirm Irish applicants before the results actually came out, unless they got to look at them early, which'd be weird.

Either way, it's before the CAO offers.
    That latter bit is the good bit ... means you won't have to accept a CAO offer conditionally until UCAS confirm ... which would mean it wouldn't be available even in Round 2, and someone would have to wait for the "tidying up" process to get your place.

I'd imagine results are downloaded to CAO and possibly UCAS as soon as they are ready, so if SEC had them a day or two early, they might too ... even though they wouldn't be made available to candidates until the announced date (otherwise imagine the panic across the country "they're out, they're out ... wah, they weren't supposed to be out 'til such a day, I'm not even at home, I can't log in, WAAAHHH!!!")

I couldn't see them getting more than a day or two's headstart even in a good year though, the correction timetable is pretty tight as it is.

That latter bit is the good bit ... means you won't have to accept a CAO offer conditionally until UCAS confirm ... which would mean it wouldn't be available even in Round 2, and someone would have to wait for the "tidying up" process to get your place.

I'd imagine results are downloaded to CAO and possibly UCAS as soon as they are ready, so if SEC had them a day or two early, they might too ... even though they wouldn't be made available to candidates until the announced date (otherwise imagine the panic across the country "they're out, they're out ... wah, they weren't supposed to be out 'til such a day, I'm not even at home, I can't log in, WAAAHHH!!!")

I couldn't see them getting more than a day or two's headstart even in a good year though, the correction timetable is pretty tight as it is.
    Google's not providing a date of places being given after a basic search, so I guess it's the former.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Hey, I'm in TP so I share a lot of classes with Maths. The modules you're doing this year are here http://www.maths.tcd.ie/undergraduate/modules/index.php?file=jfmaths and they're the same as last year. You have the core modules and the extra modules. Mechanics gets really hard but you get the chance to drop it after the first term so if you don't have plans to do theoretical physics in the future, it'd probably be best to drop it. You do really need to like maths in order to do the course. At times, what you're learning can be really difficult and it actually hurts just to think about it.

Ask me if you want anything more specific.

• Advertisement
Advertisement