Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changed from WEP to WPA - cannot connect now

Options
  • 01-07-2010 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Router is a Netopia 3347W
    Used to have wireless set to WEP, and had no problems.

Changed SSID, changed over to WPA-PSK, entered a Pre Shared Key, Saved and Restarted Gateway (on XP machine)

Laptop can see wireless network, but says that it cannot connect after I enter the password (no other explanation). (on Windows 7 laptop)

I'm certain that the password I am entering is correct as I chose something simple for my first attempt.

I've gone through all the screens and there doesn't appear to be anything else I need to set. Am I missing something.
    I've tested with a Nokia 5800 also and I get the same problem only it tells me that the Pre Shared Key is invalid (I know it's not)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Try typing a key into a text editor and saving it. Then copy and paste it into your router. Do the same with your laptop and computer. That way you can be certain the key is the same in each instance.

Also check the settings on the wireless cards and make sure they are set to connect using WPA/PSK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Just updated my wireless adapter driver. Still not working.
    Wireless Mode is 802.11a/b/g

Wireless shows up as WPA-PSK, 802.11b.

At a loss now!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

Have you power cycled the Netopia since making the changes? If not try it. Do you have the option of setting encryption to WPA2-PSK if so try it, power cycle and try again? Finally can you try connect another laptop or wireless device it would let you see if the problem is with the Netopia or the laptop. Do you actually get an error message on the laptop or does it connect with limited connectivity?

EDIT:

Sorry I see you tried to connect with a mobile and got the same result try the other steps though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

If the Netopia allows it make sure it's set to G only as there's no need for it to be transmitting at B.

I'd recommend getting a LAN cable and connecting straight to the netopia and then copy and paste the WPA key in to a text file.

n0brain3r wrote: »
    Have you power cycled the Netopia since making the changes? If not try it. Do you have the option of setting encryption to WPA2-PSK if so try it, power cycle and try again? Finally can you try connect another laptop or wireless device it would let you see if the problem is with the Netopia or the laptop. Do you actually get an error message on the laptop or does it connect with limited connectivity?
    Yes, I've both reset and Power cycled the router each time I do something. No option for WPA2-PSK only WPA-PSK.
    My 5800 won't connect either. Laptop just says cannot connect, it runs it's own troubleshooting app and comes back with... check the router, bla bla.
    The laptop can see the SSID and knows its WPA-PSK.
    If the Netopia allows it make sure it's set to G only as there's no need for it to be transmitting at B.

I'd recommend getting a LAN cable and connecting straight to the netopia and then copy and paste the WPA key in to a text file.
    At the risk of incurring the security police :D, I am currently using a very simple Pre Shared Key so that I know for sure I can get WPA working. For example my Pre Shared Key could be just password

Maybe I'm putting the wrong value into the PSK field. You guys keep saying Key. Am I supposed to be putting a specific number in there? :confused:

• Advertisement

Ok I had a quick look at the Netopia support site it says not every device supports WPA-PSK. It's odd that you seem to have two of them though! Are you using the built in Windows Network Connection Wizard or a third party one? If it still fails and security is your main concern you could enable WEP and MAC filtering instead?

See here http://www.netopia.com/support/intl/eircom/technotes/IEWG_110.html

Oh and key = password

Hi all. Thanks everyone for replying. I was determined last night to get this going.
    I tried to flash the Netopia router and it 'Failed to update'. Maybe because we changed service provider last year, i don't know. But we have it since 2004 (the dark ages in technology terms).

I switched over to a Zyxel router instead. I got WPA2-PSK up and working in minutes and all devices connect to it without any issues. I also learned a good bit along the way. Now I just want to figure out the difference between WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK. Why one worked and the other didn't.

Glad to hear you got sorted. You can be sure WPA not working will be down to flaky implementation of the 802.11i standard most likely on the Netopia but exactly will be difficult to ascertain!

Advertisement