Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Made another video about Irish army weapons

• 01-07-2010 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Myself and another Irish member here in the USA made a video about Irish army personal weapons from 1922 through to today
    We cover :
    No1Mk3
    No4Mk2
    FN FAL
    Steyr AUG (clone)
    Browning Auto Pistol (BAP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Nice one, lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Just wondering what you mean by "this isn't a free state" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

Just wondering what you mean by "this isn't a free state" ?

California has some extra restrictions beyond the federally mandated controls.
    For example no magazines greater than 10 rounds, no grenade launcher and no detachable magazine if your weapon has a pistol grip or thumbhole stock.
    The FAL and AUG have whats called a "bullet button", ie you need to use a tool to drop the mag (most folks use a bullet tip)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

@1:05 "see if we can kill some British", probably wasn't the brightest thing to say.

Otherwise it was good to see the .303 in action again.

I first used it in the FCA, and believe it or not in the PDF when the pentathon championships required a bolt action rifle.

Memories of the FN were of a rifle we used well past its use by date. It rarely worked well in general service in its later years here, and was cumbersome in oversea's service.

Love the Steyr both at home and abroad.

The BAP, we always thought 'save the bullets and throw the gun at the target - its more accurate that way' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

@1:05 "see if we can kill some British", probably wasn't the brightest thing to say.

Yeah I'm getting heat on that elsewhere

I think I'll edit that part out, although it was meant in jest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

harmoniums wrote: »
    I think I'll edit that part out, although it was meant in jest.

Considering the losses those poor lads are suffering in Afghanistan I think thats a very good idea.

Sorry don't mean to be a kill joy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

That other guy looks awfully like a tanker.......;)

Good video btw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭private2bcadet

nice! i saw ur other vid on youtube! good stuff. i dont see why everyones freaking out about the 'lets kill some british'... thats the reason we had the rifles in the 1st place!! people are too sensitive to political corectness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

i dont see why everyones freaking out about the 'lets kill some british'... thats the reason we had the rifles in the 1st place!! people are too sensitive to political corectness

454dbe4b-6a87-4e0d-8c0d-5ff7b6ca9569

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Nice video!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭private2bcadet

454dbe4b-6a87-4e0d-8c0d-5ff7b6ca9569

no offence, but im new to boards, im what nerds would call a noob... whats a troll? ive always heard of people trolling etc. but i dont know what it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

Nice Vid..The Aug came into service in 88.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

Good video, surprised to see an Old Lee Enfeild. Ancient, but I wouldn't like to be on the receiving end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

How about an AR 18 as well?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I don't recall that being on issue with the Irish military.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭oglaigh

AR18 was never issued in the Irish Army, The IRA used it though so methinks that was a sad troll attempt be inthetrees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

oglaigh wrote: »
    AR18 was never issued in the Irish Army, The IRA used it though so methinks that was a sad troll attempt be inthetrees.

Er, no sorry. Genuine mistake. I was thinking of weapons used on this island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

well to kind of drag the thread back on topic,what assault rifle did the rangers use in the early years? possibly M16's? I've seen photo's from the 90's with G3's I think,but what did they use before that?

Advertisement