Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing college's

• 01-07-2010 7:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Hey guys., my gf is after missing the deadline to change her mind, she has Arts down in Maynooth.

I'm guessing there is no way of getting a change of mind so I'm thinking, Is it possible to go to arts in maynooth and very quickly change to arts in Ucd? like during the September?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

As far as I know, you can't do that.

Sorry to hear about her unfortunate situation. Maybe she could try and ring CAO today/tomorrow and say there was a family emergency or something and as a result she forgot. Although I wouldn't get my hopes up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Nope. You can't transfer from college to college once it's started. Have to either complete first year then transfer into 2nd, or drop out, reapply through CAO...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Is your girlfriend a night person with lots of money? Then she should consider ucd arts by night as an option https://myucd.ucd.ie/program.do?programID=89 . Last year it was on the CAO's vacant list in august so she could just apply then. Thing is there's no grant for that, although technically when it's part-time by night she could collect the dole as she would technically be available for work. However I heard somewhere that you have to be 20 by 15th october 2010 to get into this course but maybe that was pub talk so not too sure about that. Oh yeah and the range of subjects is limited compared to full-time day arts. All in all probably not a great idea :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

So you can't switch universities but can you switch courses within the same uni?
    Out of interest, could you change courses from say medicine UCC to mathematical sciences UCC, same college, provided you have the points for both courses?
    I suppose there must be deadline within which you can do this, like a month or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭green909

Colleges are normally very good with internal course changes. There is a deadline alright its about a month into the first term in most institutions but provided there is place on the course and you have the right points you should be ok

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

Ah right, I dont intend on doing this but its nice to have that option open to you.:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

You should ring the CAO office. The very worst they can do is say no.

pathway33 wrote: »
    Is your girlfriend a night person with lots of money? Then she should consider ucd arts by night as an option https://myucd.ucd.ie/program.do?programID=89 . Last year it was on the CAO's vacant list in august so she could just apply then. Thing is there's no grant for that, although technically when it's part-time by night she could collect the dole as she would technically be available for work. However I heard somewhere that you have to be 20 by 15th october 2010 to get into this course but maybe that was pub talk so not too sure about that. Oh yeah and the range of subjects is limited compared to full-time day arts. All in all probably not a great idea :o

CAO Vacant places list is out. That course is on it http://www.cao.ie/courses/vpl_courses_popup.htm

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Part Time Evening Arts in UCD is vacant - but I'm not sure what that actually is!

I don't suppose your gf is already a first year UCD undergraduate wishing to change course? On the slim off chance, then she may have until 22nd July to submit a paper only COM http://www.cao.ie/index.php?page=aboutCOM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

pathway33 wrote: »
    CAO Vacant places list is out. That course is on it http://www.cao.ie/courses/vpl_courses_popup.htm
    That's just the initial list ... it will be updated after Round 1 and Round 2 and that's when most places will go up.

It is unlikely that they won't have enough applications for Arts in UCD though.
    Part Time Evening Arts in UCD is vacant - but I'm not sure what that actually is!
    Literally what it says ... a part-time mode BA, delivered in the evening. Would take 4 to 5 years that way, and part-time courses are NOT covered by the Free Fees Initiative, nor can students avail of grants. I'm not sure do UCD take ~18 year olds either ... most such courses are geared to mature students i.e. over 23, but some colleges will take you provided you qualify to matriculate in the normal way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 poetryinmotion

Xtina!! wrote: »
    So you can't switch universities but can you switch courses within the same uni?
    Out of interest, could you change courses from say medicine UCC to mathematical sciences UCC, same college, provided you have the points for both courses?
    I suppose there must be deadline within which you can do this, like a month or so?
    UCC isnt great to allow people to switch course, even internally.i know someone last year who wasnt allowed change from commerce to social science and ended up dropping out

Advertisement