Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dreambox DM800HD

• 01-07-2010 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭

I have a Dreambox DM800HD clone. Its great but the remote IR sensor is sh1t. I have ordered a new sensor so hopefully that will resolve the situation. I have a 120cm dish with a motor (im only using a sky dish at the moment). the dish is a bit from the house.. will that cause much problems? I have all the HD channels at the moment but some are a bit choppey. Will the bigger dosh resolve any of that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Use good quality cable and you should be fine. I used to have a dm500s clone with a sensor issue - I fixed it by opening up the box and reseating it so that it pointed in the right direction. Would you have any qualms in buying one of these again? Maybe you can pm me details on supplier and price? Got my fingers burnt on a clone back in January - still in the process of getting my cash back (although I will!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Maybe you can pm supplier and price?

I bought it from http://www.dvbmonkey.com/ they give you a tracking number which was handy. The box is good quality and I fitted a hard drive. I think I Paid £210 for it last year. Im very happy with box (once i got right image installed). Blackhole seems to the the best. I see the website are now selling them cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

I have a DM800 with a standard Sky dish. At first some HD channels kept freezing (apart from ITV and BBC). I got myself an inline amplifier on eBay and this sorted out the problem

I have a DM800 with a standard Sky dish. At first some HD channels kept freezing (apart from ITV and BBC). I got myself an inline amplifier on eBay and this sorted out the problem

I have bought one a couple of weeks ago. Where did you put it? CLoser to the dish or the box?

I have bought one a couple of weeks ago. Where did you put it? CLoser to the dish or the box?

Close to the box. I got about 1 foot of satellite cable with terminals at each end and fitted the amplifier between the 2 cables.

The difference was dramatic - particularly with FXHD and E4HD.

Let me know how you get on (and which one did you get). I got the cheapest one possible on eBay and there are higher rates ones available. I'm just interested how it works for you.

• Advertisement

I will let you know how I get on! This was a cheap one also. Dont have it here with me but came from china. (like everything else)

Close to the box. I got about 1 foot of satellite cable with terminals at each end and fitted the amplifier between the 2 cables.

The difference was dramatic - particularly with FXHD and E4HD.

Let me know how you get on (and which one did you get). I got the cheapest one possible on eBay and there are higher rates ones available. I'm just interested how it works for you.

Tried the amp there.. Worked a treat channels like espn discovery a few others that were a bit choppy are now 100% as I've said before it's the cheapest one I could buy same as yourself but made a big difference. I now would be confident in recording HD programmes.

I took off the front panel last night and even though it's aa clone all seems to be in order with the ir sensor . I got another sensor off eBay which a mate has agreed to swap for me so I might go down that road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

I took off the front panel last night and even though it's aa clone all seems to be in order with the ir sensor .
    I could be wrong but if its working but doesn't seem to be working well, then, the IR is not getting through the little 'window' at the front ...or if it is, then its tilted slightly in the wrong direction. Does it respond better with the remote pointed at it from an alternative direction - ie. from above, below, left, right,etc?

Also, if it came with batteries, I bet they are next to useless! Check that too. I have got boxes in the past and really it would be better for all concerned (including the environment!) if they had not included them at all!.

I could be wrong but if its working but doesn't seem to be working well, then, the IR is not getting through the little 'window' at the front ...or if it is, then its tilted slightly in the wrong direction. Does it respond better with the remote pointed at it from an alternative direction - ie. from above, below, left, right,etc?

Also, if it came with batteries, I bet they are next to useless! Check that too. I have got boxes in the past and really it would be better for all concerned (including the environment!) if they had not included them at all!.

It was in a good position and I did bend it a little towards the window but to no avail. I have Sony batteries in the remote (But I will try the recharable ones I have Doubt it will make a difference through.) I think really its a cheap IR module that they have used. I have purchased another that was reccomended so I still think thats the best route.

• Advertisement

I took off the front panel last night and even though it's aa clone all seems to be in order with the ir sensor . I got another sensor off eBay which a mate has agreed to swap for me so I might go down that road.

Any link to that mate? If it works for you then please let me know - the IR isn't great with mine as well (damn clones :D). This is both with it's own remote and a Harmony remote.

One thing about HD channels and the amp - I recently tuned in FIVE HD and ESPN America HD and there is a good bit of choppiness. Not sure if the channels are running fully yet tho.

Any link to that mate? If it works for you then please let me know - the IR isn't great with mine as well (damn clones :D). This is both with it's own remote and a Harmony remote.

One thing about HD channels and the amp - I recently tuned in FIVE HD and ESPN America HD and there is a good bit of choppiness. Not sure if the channels are running fully yet tho.

IR MODULE

http://cgi.ebay.com/IR-Receiver-Module-38-kHz-TSOP4838-/320555842815?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa29dfcff

AMP

http://cgi.ebay.com/IN-LINE-SIGNAL-AMPLIFIER-SKY-SATELLITE-BOOSTER-2-F-PLUG-/380241398770?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item5888274bf2:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Is the dreambox a recordable sat reciever?

200motels wrote: »
    Is the dreambox a recordable sat reciever?

Sure is (once you install a HDD)

Sure is (once you install a HDD)

Thanks, so it's not like a Sky Hd box with the hard drive already in place. I want to get rid of Sky and replace it with a similiar box with the freesat channels, what's the best one to buy?

200motels wrote: »
    Thanks, so it's not like a Sky Hd box with the hard drive already in place. I want to get rid of Sky and replace it with a similiar box with the freesat channels, what's the best one to buy?

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/product_stb_satellite_foxsathdr.aspx

Yeah was gonna reccomend Humax too if its just a recorder your looking for. You can also get them with a double tuner. You can do it too with a Dreambox DM8000 but its €1000. I went with the DM800HD as you can configure the box to do almost anything so I have control over what I can do. :cool:

Yeah was gonna reccomend Humax too if its just a recorder your looking for. You can also get them with a double tuner. You can do it too with a Dreambox DM8000 but its €1000. I went with the DM800HD as you can configure the box to do almost anything so I have control over what I can do. :cool:

Yeah - the Dreambox is the way to go if you are any way technical, but if you want Freesat out of the box then you can't go wrong with the Humax

Yeah - the Dreambox is the way to go if you are any way technical, but if you want Freesat out of the box then you can't go wrong with the Humax
    Thanks alot lads.

Changed the sensor on the DM800HD and it works amazingly! :D

Got a mate to solder it on for me. Using an all in one remote helps a bit better than the remote that came with it also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement