Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Puppy and Cat Tips?

Options
  • 01-07-2010 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭

Hey all

We've adopted a little English Setter puppy from Dogs Trust and all is well. Have her nearly 3 weeks now, and while a bonkers little handful, jumping, running and a bit nippy, she is great.

We also have a 3 year old cat. Just wondering of any of you have any good tips for getting them to share the love. At the minute, puppy just wants to play and mess about, cat ain't too impressed. Obviously, puppy is on the lead in the house when they are both out and about, and no meetings between them have taken place unless we were in control of puppy.

We have a big playpen type thing, so that we can let puppy be with us pretty much constantly whatever room we are in, so they have plenty of chances for sniffing around (not that they take the opportunity) and I've given puppy bedding with cats scent on it from time to time.

Missing anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Time is the best thing for it, I introduced a 7 year old cat to a pup almost 2 years ago and it took a few months but by christmas(got pup in sept) they would occasionally play, they now get on fine. I have since added another cat and another pup(I know, madhouse) and all is pretty much fine here.

Do let them meet, best time is when pup is really tired, no energy to chase, and try to keep them apart near food at least until they are getting on.
    The cat will probably just look on with distaste for a while, and avoid the pup, but try to let them interact now before pup gets too big as cats don't react well to big bouncy pups(mine don't anyway).
    Just make it clear to the pup that the cat is important too, let her see you petting the cat and make sure she waits calmly for your attention, also stop any attempt to chase or bounce on the cat, the cat will make clear who's boss soon enough.

My older cat and dog slept together last night, curled up first on the landing and then on my bed early this morning, they all share the living room bed and I have found dogs and cats in the dog crates quite often.
    Best of luck and hope the pup brings you many happy years.

Don't forget to post a pic.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

this was taken about 2 weeks ago, maybe a lil bit longer. she's gotten a hell of a lot bigger already :)

photosp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

She's gorgeous, what's her name?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Narsil

Hi OP and firstly congratulations on your new addition:)
    And so far your doing the right thing with her,leaving the lead attached and allowing the cat to sniff the newbie!

We have a 5 month old white GSD and when he was younger he was mad to play with our 3yr old 3 legged indoor cat which worried us as the cat could have gotten hurt/annoyed.

But we found that he hated having a 'time-out' in behind the baby gate in the front room and he copped that if he annoys the cat he gets a 30 second timeout away from us. He very quickly learned not to do it and ever since, there has been peace in the house.

He brings his toys up to the cat now(as if he will throw the ball for him:rolleyes:) and he follows the cat from room to room and lies near him(big bro:D)

I think its just a matter of finding the right 'punishment'(like a time-out or a quick verbal reprimand) to enforce the idea in the puppies mind that he/she is not allowed to play with the cat(unless the cat wants to of course!)

As long as its only playing she wants to do she will get better and grow out of it dont worry!

Best of luck:)

She was christened Kylie in the DT as thats who was playing on the radio when she was born. We thought it'd be nice to leave her with that name :)

I'm assuming she just wants to play with cat tbh. Obviously hard enough to tell, but there has been no aggressive growling or other signs of aggresion, plus the tail goes ninety, in a good way. Having had dogs since being a kid, I'm pretty sure its just puppy exuberance. Thanks for the replies lads. All help appreicated. In fairness shes hard work, but great craic, the nips and scratches are gonna be worth it in the long run. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Dr Galen wrote: »
    She was christened Kylie in the DT as thats who was playing on the radio when she was born. We thought it'd be nice to leave her with that name :)

I'm assuming she just wants to play with cat tbh. Obviously hard enough to tell, but there has been no aggressive growling or other signs of aggresion, plus the tail goes ninety, in a good way. Having had dogs since being a kid, I'm pretty sure its just puppy exuberance. Thanks for the replies lads. All help appreicated. In fairness shes hard work, but great craic, the nips and scratches are gonna be worth it in the long run. :)

Depends on the dog and the cat; always leave a way out for the cat.;)

Our wee dog was a puppy when the cats arrived; or vice versa. So she is not bad with them. And vice versa.

But the collie is a different matter; she hates the cats, period. Some chases we see when they meet perchance! So always they are in different areas.

It doesn;t matter though as long as each is safe and happy. does it?

two things really

First up, thanks for the advice guys. We're getting there with puppy. She still wants to have the craic with kitty, but shes is getting better. There has been a lot of nose to nose sniffy stuff going on in the past few days. A good sign I think.

Puppy is still bonkers, and addicted to chewing. She loves frozen kong toy though, and doggy ice pops with meat, hot dogs in them. She'll grow out of it though I know with some encouragement. Which leads to follow up question, when can I start giving her a bone or two? She's 3 months now and getting bigger everyday.

Advertisement